The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Death at York Raceway

Soopra

Sad news, a reminder of what can happen at speed.

Having said that, how can you 'lose control' when going in a straight line, smooth surface, no traffic etc?

Perhaps something broke causing it to roll then set on fire or a tyre burst, lots of things that can go wrong hence having your car fitted with safety equipment like roll cages, harnesses etc

It must have been a special built if it was doing 130 at the 1/4, i would have thought safety equipment were fitted, but things break and sh*t happens sometimes.

I've seen a few accidents and upto yet everybody has walked away ok, sometimes its hard to believe anybody gets out without much wrong with them when the car is wrecked.

I didn't do many 1/4 mile runs in my supra before safety eqipment was fitted, i know motorsport is dangerous but self preservation is high up on my priorites while doing it, but not everybody thinks this way, especially the younger guys/lasses who think they are invincible along with costs of installing these safety features.

Clearly you didn't see the Civic at Suprapod. That thing was brutal!

Unlikely the cause if York is anything like the pod, with their rocket engine powered track drying machine

I was told last night that the Civic nearly rolled due to moisture on the track..!!

H.

Unlikely the cause if York is anything like the pod, with their rocket engine powered track drying machine

York is a bit more old school than pod, i've been there and lined up to run in a morning and been told 'be carefull tracks still a bit wet from last nights rain, we need more FWD cars to run and help it dry' :blink:

And he wasn't kidding i let off the gas pedal when wheels were spinning in 3rd gear and rolled gently down to the run off road, parked up and waited untill track was fully dry before running again :D

Guy who ran a couple of cars after us pulled a nice time of 10.1s or something, but after the finish, his car seemed to pitch sideways (poss blowout??) and flip, flash of fire started then went out. Recovery went out & ambulance called. Then air ambulance turns up & an hour and a half later they shoot off. Apparently, the guy managed to get out of the car, in front of the medics, but then collapsed & died. Don't know what happened, head injury or what?? But poor fella. Think his mrs (or at least female friend was there) as she was sobbing away. Sad times indeed.

:cry::shock:

Sad news, a reminder of what can happen at speed.

Having said that, how can you 'lose control' when going in a straight line, smooth surface, no traffic etc?

I will presume you drive a stock or maybe BPU supra? Trust me, when you start driving a more powerfull car there is a lot that can go wrong in a straight line. I was running at TOTB there last week in my skyline. Even with 4wd the rear end was swinging around 1st,2nd,3rd gear. The chap in question was doing 130 mph so i would guess he would be running maybe low 10's quarter.

As some one else has pointed out, at York you run with a damp track and also the track is super slippy against normal tarmac. Even when TOTB was running we had to 'tell' them to glue the whole track as they only wanted to prep the 1st half.

Also i think others that have run there that the track itself is not in the best condition, especially when you get towards the top end.

There is no hair dryer. Infact there is no barriers either to keep you on the track. If something goes wrong you end up in a field.

Guest Homer Lawtey
As some one else has pointed out, at York you run with a damp track and also the track is super slippy against normal tarmac. Even when TOTB was running we had to 'tell' them to glue the whole track as they only wanted to prep the 1st half.

Also i think others that have run there that the track itself is not in the best condition, especially when you get towards the top end.

There is no hair dryer. Infact there is no barriers either to keep you on the track. If something goes wrong you end up in a field.

I'll be staying clear of York then

Just to clarify, TOTB is held at Elvington airfield near York, which is an improvised drag strip on a concrete airstrip, the fatality was at York Raceway which is a purpose built drag strip. I've run at York Raceway a few years ago and it is a terrible surface that's been neglected over the years.

Very sad day for drag racing, thoughts are with his family, friends and team.