The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chain Saws

gavin.starr

Can anyone recommend me a good make of chain saw.

The new house we are moving into has a log burning stove, so one would be really helpful for cutting them up to burn. Ideally a petrol one that isn't two stroke, but that's not too important. It needs to be mobile so definitely not an electric one.

And i dont want to be paying more than 150 for it either, Im just trying to find ideas for when we move in around 5 weeks time.

Gav

Budget for a chain sharpener, if you are doing a lot of logs it will pay in temrs of convenience and time if you can sharpen your own chains. Expensive chain is cheaper than cheap chain, for hours of use per £ spent. I use a Stihl, and a cheap McCulloch for stuff where gritty soil will be an issue or something small and light is needed. Be careful with used chain saws, most are pretty well knackered when they get sold. Be careful with one, they can be VERY nasty things!!

I'd second everthing Chris has mentioned...

Spend at least the same amount on the protective clothing as on the saw as well. (on a new saw price, not second hand)

At least get trousers, gloves and eye protection - you won't even have time to react if a chainsaw decides to attack you!

Also a saw horse - DONT try and use your foot to hold the trunk!

Also, you'll need a log splitter (Maul) - not an axe, as they do different jobs.

Split the logs as soon as you cut them as they'll be easier to do than when they dry out.

Then leave them for a season at least before burning otherwise they'll deposit sap on the log burner liner and it'll run down the liner back onto the burner or into it.

Unless you're looking at logging quite a few trees and need the exercise it's probably cheaper to just buy them by the cubic metre from a seller.

... just a few tips I've learn't over the years :)

I would be happy to sharpen member's chains, I have seen what the commercial people do, they don't spend the time setting a minimal cut, so, although the chain usually comes back sharp, it gets about 3 or more really careful grindings worth of material removed every time they sharpen it once. By being accurate with setting up the machine a chain will last loads longer. I have a proper commercial electric sharpener, I could have a think about pricing if anyone's interested?

I would be happy to sharpen member's chains, I have seen what the commercial people do, they don't spend the time setting a minimal cut, so, although the chain usually comes back sharp, it gets about 3 or more really careful grindings worth of material removed every time they sharpen it once. By being accurate with setting up the machine a chain will last loads longer. I have a proper commercial electric sharpener, I could have a think about pricing if anyone's interested?

I'd be interestd Chris - the times I've had chains 'sharpened' only to find within a couple of hours they've gone again.

I've got a couple of chains I was going to throw out. Ones been sharpened by hand (by me and probably badly!) but I got a batch cheap so figured on only using once.

Let me know what you'd charge...

This made me chuckle.... Race car driver, engine builder, and chain saw wielder/sharper.... If I ever get banged up in a 'death race' scenario, you are definitely the man I'd want next to me :p

... LMAO ! Good point - Chris is the future mad-max/death-race competitor!

BTW - Sorry Gav, this has gone off topic a bit!

stihl....enough said ;)

Absolutely.

My brother has been in the Tree Surgery trade for over 10 years and he swears down that Stihl is by far the superior manufacturer when it comes to power, reliability and ease of maintenance. Get one with a nice 6ft guide bar!