The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help and Advice needed, should Jen get a Corsa VXR

DodgyRog

Just after any help with this, we actually went out to look at a Honda Civic Type R facelift, but Jen saw a 07 plate Vauxhall Corsa VXR in another garage as we drove past

So we popped back and she seems to have fallen for it, proberbly because it's Red:rolleyes:

I don't really have any knowledge on these motors and Jen just likes the looks and the interior, so if anyone can fill in any of the blanks in my knowledge then please post up (any problems or weakness)

The fact this car is 2k over our original budget seems to not matter to much at the moment, but it is Red I guess:taped:

Any help with this is greatfully received

If you were determined to go with a 'hot hatch' then I'd probably be looking at a *shudder* Renault Clio

Probably the pick of the bunch as far as driving goes. Again the value will plummet like a stone and it will end up being REALLY unreliable.

It's really all down to how long these cars are going to be kept. Personally I wouldn't have one of them much past their warranty which the mentioned ones are.

The value will fall like a stone. Depending how long you keep the car it could start getting unreliable although I don't know of any immediate issues with the new VXRs, I think they are pretty well made for what they are :)

To be honest all the hot hatchs are taking a hit in the value stakes, as the insurance companies are hitting them hard

If you were determined to go with a 'hot hatch' then I'd probably be looking at a *shudder* Renault Clio

Jen's totally not going to have a Clio, I have already tried that one

To be honest I would still go for the Civic Type R on a 54 plate onwards (not the newer shape), but Jen wants something a bit more modern looking inside and out

My mate has a vectra vxr and corsa vxr. He swears by them. As stated depends how long your looking to keep it. U sudnt get to many issue with the car providing its looked after but guess thats the same as most cars. I guess you would know if the car is over valued at all by doing research. I think tuning potential is quite limited due to the power thats going through the front wheels.

He does state the car is thirsty as hell though so depends if she wants a large fuel bill. Red isnt the best colour my sister has an 02 red corsa thats now kinda pink. Make sure vauxhall gaurantee the paint work as last think u want is a pinky vxr.

I would put money on the vxr going wrong before the civic thou. Just depends on your taste. If she happy with it and you want an easy life i would say let her go with the vxr

My mate has a vectra vxr and corsa vxr. He swears by them. As stated depends how long your looking to keep it. U sudnt get to many issue with the car providing its looked after but guess thats the same as most cars. I guess you would know if the car is over valued at all by doing research. I think tuning potential is quite limited due to the power thats going through the front wheels.

He does state the car is thirsty as hell though so depends if she wants a large fuel bill. Red isnt the best colour my sister has an 02 red corsa thats now kinda pink. Make sure vauxhall gaurantee the paint work as last think u want is a pinky vxr.

I would put money on the vxr going wrong before the civic thou. Just depends on your taste. If she happy with it and you want an easy life i would say let her go with the vxr

Jen will never really drive it quick, so tuning it anymore would be pointless anyway, I don't think she has ever taken her Corolla T-Sport into the highlift cam power area, I might on the odd occasion I get to drive it though:sly:

According to what I can find on the interweb 40mpg is an average for the Corsa VXR and as Jen will not be driving it hard, I would guess she should be able to hit the average

As for Red paintwork, it's always a big risk on the pink issue, but it would get a good wax reasonably regular

I would drive a Type R, nice hot hatch built by Honda, id want paying to drive a corsa.

This.

When I see a new Corsa VXR I do question how someone can spend nigh on £16k for one. It looks like someone's taken a Ford Ka and given it to a bunch of loony asylum patients and said 'go to town on this'.

Find her a nice Civic Type R (the facelift/phase II one of the previous model) and all will be happy.

Is this after seeing mine on the Dragonball run Rog ;)

They are lovely cars, and my missus loves driving it (even if the clutch is is due to be replaced), handles really well and you could ask a few of the guys when we got lost on the Dragonball run we did a mad dash across some county roads & Type R was pulling away strong in the twisties. The seats are quite comfy too, interior isn't too bad either. Being Honda's they are very reliable & hence why people like them, I am heading out to France again in September & without a doubt will be taking the CTR!

Kayla's VXR was very quick at SupraPod, she beat me twice "excuses - Extra passenger, 3/4 fuel, barely legal tyres & clutch on its way out - excuses" :D

I think the quickest she managed was a 15.2 and the quickest I managed was a 15.3 - so the Corsa VXR is no slouch!

Is this after seeing mine on the Dragonball run Rog ;)

They are lovely cars, and my missus loves driving it (even if the clutch is is due to be replaced), handles really well and you could ask a few of the guys when we got lost on the Dragonball run we did a mad dash across some county roads & Type R was pulling away strong in the twisties. The seats are quite comfy too, interior isn't too bad either. Being Honda's they are very reliable & hence why people like them, I am heading out to France again in September & without a doubt will be taking the CTR!

Kayla's VXR was very quick at SupraPod, she beat me twice "excuses - Extra passenger, 3/4 fuel, barely legal tyres & clutch on its way out - excuses" :D

I think the quickest she managed was a 15.2 and the quickest I managed was a 15.3 - so the Corsa VXR is no slouch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgl_39JfdM LMAO :D

We were looking at one in a local dealer and it was priced at £6999, which is what perked my interest, when I rang them on Monday morning the dealer said there has been a mistake on the pricing it's now £8495, so she won't be getting one now. She says she is going to save for a couple of months and then we can start looking again

O the joy, I really don't get women, every day she seems to change what car she wants me to look out for, I am close to giving up.

I am going to make her test drive a decent low mileage Type R if it kills me, I have been trying to convince her to get one for 3 years, in that time shes had a Diesel Corsa, a Mini and Corolla T-Sport, each one she was very happy at the time we bought it, but not for long. I could of got a TT6 with the cash we have thrown away on her cars

Well looks like I have convinced her not to go for the Corsa, but she wants a newer car than the Type R.

So I am now hunting around for a Toyota Auris 2.2 Diesel the 177 bhp and 295 lbs/ft version, should be interesting to drive:sly:

Got to be Black, Red or possibly Gunmetal though and with the expensive optional computer and sat nav:rolleyes: