The mkiv Supra Owners Club

warning to sellers.

dwood

someone tried this to me,

said they would send me a cheque for the full amount, then send someone on a truck to take it away when the cheque clears.

the cheq arrived, £3000 more than what i was asking for the car (Z32) i went to the bank, they said the cheque was fake,

the money would have actually cleared, then the next day or day after the bank would realize there wasnt any money from the account tto go into mine, then clawback all the money,

by then the seller "hopes" to take your car

I've had 6 different people sending emails trying to scam me since last week when I put my saxo for sale on auto trader, all of them were very obvious (including the exact same story as the original posters twice).

I've had it with auto trader now, it's a waste of time, I would recommend selling through pistonheads though, had a much better response with genuine interest and no dodgy emails, both times i've sold cars through their site have been successful.

Had this many times before too; the last time was when I was selling a my Hyundai Coupe (yeah I already know...). Was in contact with a guy via email guy abroad, who was very willing to forward me a cheque for £2000 over the asking price, as long as I could deliver the car to a container ship

Obviously knew it was a scam so I strung him along for ages, in the end he got the arse with me and sent me loads of abuse - good times...... hope he wasnt genuine

I've had 6 different people sending emails trying to scam me since last week when I put my saxo for sale on auto trader, all of them were very obvious (including the exact same story as the original posters twice).

I've had it with auto trader now, it's a waste of time, I would recommend selling through pistonheads though, had a much better response with genuine interest and no dodgy emails, both times i've sold cars through their site have been successful.

Have you ever tried advertising something on gumtree? I advertised an ORIS watch on there and all I got was scammers. Thankfully a friend bought it in the end.

I don't think you can really single out Autotrader.

Although I appreciate you've had success with PH, I saw a CLK 320 on Pistonheads (recent shape, petrol), for under £3k and was considering it because I fancied an auto cruiser, so I messaged the guy asking if he still had it, and I got all that "I'm abroad, I've always loved living in Liverpool, but now have a holiday home in Turkey blah blah (life story to try to build up trust), my agent will arrange delivery, the car is text book clean" crap.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.