The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Porsche 996 Turbo

DamanC

Thinking of a change from the Supe :( had her 7 years now, and I know its going to be hard to actually let her go but I think the time has come.

Anyway, the car that's coming up on the Radar is a Porsche 911 Turbo, the 996 Model to be exact.

Half decent ones can be had between 24K-27K and performance wise they are similar to my current BPU supe, probably a little more. I cant see them depreciating drastically over the coming years, they are apparently fairly reliable and serviceable items are also reasonably priced. An Factory Aero kit or GT kit would be an addition, as I think stock there a little bland and too "old man".

I know a few members here have em, and other are in the porka trade so I would be interested to hear what you guys think of them and what to perhaps look out for?

Im also open to alternatives for that kind of money, I does not have to be a daily driver but I quite like the idea of using it once or twice a week to compute to work (20 odd miles round trip) so practicality has to pay a slight part but importantly it has to be as powerful as a BPU supe.

996 turbo is a great car, streaks ahead of the supra once its had similar bpu mods in my opinion. Been out in one with similar mods, sports cats and running 0.9bar and was well impressed

It starts with around 100hp more, so that's hardly surprising.

£ for £, the Supra is easily the quicker car in a straight line. Its also better looking IMO, and much cheaper to run. The Porsche would kill most Supras in the twisties, though they can still bite if provoked.

IMO the Supra has the Porsche licked, unless you're a badge snob. However, the general public are becoming aware of how much potential these Supras have, and carry a certain kudos with that. (thanks in no small part to the efforts of various forum members, and their high powered, magazine featured cars)

Don't get me wrong, I love 911s, but a 996 just isn't that special. A 993 however...

Mikey, anything to do with Steve by any chance? IIRC he works for Porsche?

Yeah it was Steve that had the car im talking about. I was well impressed with it compared to my supra in every aspect. Thats my personal opinion though. The car had pretty much BPU mods, sports cats and turbos running higher than normal boost. It was very very responsive, interior was lovely and also looked lovely ;) whats not to like

Has a really cheap horribly dated interior? :innocent:

True, but it still feels special inside.

The 996 has a similar quality dash/switchgear to the Boxster, which is not a good thing. The later 996s and 97s have nicer interiors though from what I've seen.

For an everyday car, I don't doubt the 996 is a better car, but as a second car its not a scratch on the 993 IMO. Just look at the used values of 993 turbos vs 996 ones.

Another thing, the engine note in a 911 turbo will sound poor compared to a Supra (all IMO of course)

Everyway in my opinion. Interior, better road holding ability, and once tuned with like for like BPU mods it leaves supra in its wake imo. I am basing that on my personal experience of the two

ive driven a standard 996T and agree on its road holding and traction abilities - ill put that down to 4WD and the weight being at the rear. AS for the interior - i found that extremely poor, but its a personal taste thing I guess.

I guess the X50 version would be a different beast.

The X50 pack is 420BHP to 450BHP which is a little pap tbh for an "upgrade" however im sure there is more to it, and more can be had out of them with modifications. The S rolls out the factory at 500BHP so there is a half decent amount of headroom....

Think I need to take a couple on a hoon...

Well I had a BPU Supra and I changed for a 996 and I love it, despite the fact that it's silver and I generally dislike silver cars but I overlooked the colour due the condition and history of the car. They don't look as nice as a 997 and they aren't as special as a 993 but they are still great cars in my opinion. I registered on the Porsche GB forums and read lots of buying guides and things to watch out for as they can be a bit of a money pit. Most people have had the problematic bits done by now though so you should be ok.

The handling is great, it's got a nice engine note (they sound lovely with the right exhaust, Flat 6 is an unusual but grunty sound in my opinion).... It's a different kind of car though, not sure how to explain why. I was surprised when I sold my Supra just how many people thought it was naff, I get lots of comments, things like "Glad to see you've got a proper car now and got rid of that silly batmobile thing" or "Bet you're glad you got rid of the chavmobile" lol... Not that I agree with them, but comments like that just show that it is a different kind of car altogether so it's difficult to really compare the two. I don't care what other people think by any means though.... I get a car for personal enjoyment, and I get lots of that from the 996, I couldn't care less what other people think of what I drive.

As for the interior, yes I agree it's dated, but it's certainly not a bad place to be. Mine has the Alcantara roof inside and everything is covered in leather, the layout of the speedometer etc is also well done in my opinion. If you've owned a Supra you'll be used to the dated interior so it shouldn't matter. Drive a few, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Funny enough was driving a Porsche BoxsterS this morning, 996 shape as well. Took it for a drive whilst waiting at a dealer who was getting the road tax for a car my brother in law brought. Although not a 911 Turbo, sitting in the drivers seat it didn't feel special. Each time I got into my Supra it felt special, an event. You know me dude & I am not that tall but I found it cramped, the plastic around the centre console looked a bit naff. Engine felt strong even with 80k on the clock & handling was very good.

I'd test drive a few at the dealers, they are brilliant cars but you have a great budget, I won't be looking at a 996 Turbo.