The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R35 depreciating faster than R34?

Lude

With the X6 and the 535d outside, and living on my own the GTR would only ever be a fun car - and having 35k sat on my path is just too much. 25k, I could cope with. Gives Ryan a lot of time to get the Syvecs 100% sorted too

Good point. With the 10K you have saved, you could buy another Supra..!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on the GTR.

As a piece of engineering its great.

As a drivers car its terrible.

Its far to big, weighs more than the moon, dull to drive in stock form after more than half an hour, lacks feedback due to being completely controlled my ecu's and not to mention its fugly to look at. Don't get me wrong a few 0-60 runs are fun but that's all it does for me. I've heard ALOT of horror stories with them as well so tbh I'm not surprised they have dropped so much in price!

I dare not admit it as I know Mr Wild will read this but i'd rather have a R34 over one of these.

Even with all the pro's and con's considered think I'll be getting myself a GT-R in a year or two, but odviously the Supra would have to go. If the prices are coming down so quickly it could even be next year. Ideally I'd like to sell the Supra and buy 1 with what i sell it for or very little more.

Utterly astronomical running costs have killed the car for many owners.

I've had cars that cost me an arm and a leg to run in the past and in a short space of time, those costs have taken the shine off owning them.

As great a piece of engineering that the R35 is, I for one wouldn't have one.

Not to mention the r34gtr they only made a total of 12,175 less than any other GTR model, to me it's rare to see r34gtr if they were mass produced like the r32gtr 43,934 I'd expect to see the price cheaper , I think the 35 will follow the high production numbers .

I think in years to come, the R35 will be plentiful like the R32 and R33 GTRs are. I think the base model R34s will also drop below £10k, but the limited R34s will always be collectors items now. I'd love to have a stock R34 GTR NUR II in Milennium Jade in the garage, though there are many cars I'd have first.

Had this conversation with Rob Wild on the Christmas Do. Although we can both afford one, I am not really overly keen on shelling out silly money on the running costs. That said, if I drive it as much as the Supra then it will cost me very little.

They are now becoming a lot of car for the money.

H.

My thoughts on the GTR.

Its far to big, weighs more than the moon, dull to drive in stock form after more than half an hour, lacks feedback due to being completely controlled my ecu's and not to mention its fugly to look at. Don't get me wrong a few 0-60 runs are fun but that's all it does for me. I've heard ALOT of horror stories with them as well so tbh I'm not surprised they have dropped so much in price!

I dare not admit it as I know Mr Wild will read this but i'd rather have a R34 over one of these.

Ok honesty time :D As I posted up many many years ago now speed and power are very very addictive and I've never quite got over the first time I took the Supra out on a dry road after BPU'ing it at the tender age of 24! At the time it was the most exciting thing ever compared to all the other cars I'd owned. I then spent anywhere in the region of 35-40k on the supra trying to make it faster and faster and faster however I could never get it either reliable or handling as I wanted! I sold it for 14k! A loss of 21k-26k!

My supra was a very capable car that started off life as bone stock then BPU AUTO, Small Single AUTO, BUILT single BL AUTO, BUILT Single ML Auto then 6 speed Built Single. The problem I always found was traction and it always being very lively, hence the 'winter driving' thread and even at BPU Auto I lost it many times and consider myself very luck as I didn't hurt anyone, myself or the car in that order! As being part of the club for the past 8 years I've seen many that haven't been so lucky! :(

I realised after driving a few R33 / R34's that it was the next logically step as they handled pretty much as I want it to within my own skill set as a drive (no, I'm not a racing driver and simply will never have the car control of some i.e. Jamie and the like). For me the R34 gtr I've got now running quite a bit more HP than the Supra was is soooo much faster both off the line, cornering etc etc i.e. the way it grips and just has so much more usable power! As well as me being able to get the power down in the wet, unlike my Supra!

I know for a fact that round a track I would be significantly quicker in the R34 to the Supra. The problem with the R34 (although mine now after mass expense is perfect!) is it no better in reliability terms when highly modified! The only difference is it costs way, way more for parts! The other problem with R34's and particularly mine is they are not a cruising car like the Supra was. I loved the Supra for just popping to the shops or a really long drive! For me it what my Supra was best at! It was in my book very cool, very relaxed and a nice car to drive about in! The R34 is a nightmare, too loud and totally uncivilized in comparison!

Now after driving the R35 a few times, in stock mode they're pretty fantastic! Put a Cobb, Y pipe, injectors and a couple of extra bits and they're simply breath taking! As Clarkson said there an 'instrument of speed' :D And I know that again if I tracked my old supra, the R34 and then my mates R35 round the same track the R35 would win easily, followed the R34 and finally by the Supra! So for me the R35 has the performance I'm looking for from my R34 but it also has the comfort and generally nice place to be factor of the Supra! Again I'm sure many would disagree and would rather be going slower but having a different (RAW) experience!

Seriously if I'd bought a GTR last year and not had to spend on mine this year I would be significantly better off!

Now this is where the R35 comes in! Yes they have lost money! and its currently 4-5k a year and that will slow (IMO) as the next 'MY' get more and more expensive! I think they will hover around the 22k-28k for years and years tbh similar to a 911 turbo. Also they're a lot to maintain but tbh no more than a highly modded R34 GTR. But as far as the money is concerned I'm really not to bothered as if I buy one now and spend 37k and then in 5-6 years time only get 14k(which I just can't believe) for it will have only cost me what I spent on the Supra and hopefully and this is the important bit!!!!! It won't need to be highly modified as it abilities as a car is way above my driving abilities so hopefully it can provide me with the wow factor I'm after but be much much more reliable!

Again all just IMO :)

My thoughts on the GTR.

So what you are saying is "people watching this are also looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120829209308&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123 "? :)

you mean i should come back to supra ownership and buy one of these :D

i have had several of each. Supra far more reliable (different league), fairly easy and cheap to service, between 24 and 10 mpg, depending how you drive it. Handling is nothing like as good, it's a big barge compared to an rx-7, but for a big barge it's excellent.

not smart comparing supra to a barge on a supra forum :D

not smart comparing supra to a barge on a supra forum :D

I know :D its a good job it wasn't me making the comparison ;) lol

I love these kind of threads :)

On a side note I was just at RB Motorsport talking to Rod and he said the same really that there would be no major difference in maintain a R35 (out of warranty) than my R34 (cost wise). He also said that the engine and gearbox is easily good enough for 650hp and that's all most of us mere morals will ever need! They've spent thousands gearing up for the R35 to come out of warranty and are now ready to support them.

I know :D its a good job it wasn't me making the comparison ;) lol

I love these kind of threads :)

On a side note I was just at RB Motorsport talking to Rod and he said the same really that there would be no major difference in maintain a R35 (out of warranty) than my R34 (cost wise). He also said that the engine and gearbox is easily good enough for 650hp and that's all most of us mere morals will ever need! They've spent thousands gearing up for the R35 to come out of warranty and are now ready to support them.

cheaper to get a supra doing 800 bhp than having an r35 doing 650 bhp IMO