The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who is running traction control on their Syvecs ecu?

Chris Wilson

Are many / any people running TC on their Syvecs ECU? Are you DBW and using throttle control, or using fuel cut or ignition retard? How do you find it? I am going to install it on my Skyline, using my Motec ECU. I have a feeling Wez is using TC. I am getting too old to keep frightening myself over Deer's Leap in the wet :)

I have it. I think the initial approach is to retard timing whilst monitoring EGTs and then go to the fuelling trims if the ign retard isn't sufficient or EGTs go too high. I can say that extreme over-torque/slip events are met with a lot of popping/banging just to remind me to slow down :D Sounds like a few quick fire shotgun rounds.

If I remember what Ryan told me correctly, I think mine makes so much noise because the torque builds so fast at low rpm due to the cam/turbo/manifold combination and the Syvecs "subtle" torque reduction efforts don't work so it gets more intrusive with the ign timing and fuelling. It is relatively smooth in action despite what the noises suggest.

Ryan could describe it a lot better than me though. :search:

I have it on my Motec - same principle. I use the individual wheel speed sensors. I have it set currently to just do fuel cut because to do ignition cut you need to set it up really on a rolling road which I've never bothered to do. That's because you need to know how many degrees of timing pull equates to how much reduction in torque - then the system knows if it wants to cut 10% torque for example how much timing to pull. Ideally I'd have it set to do timing and then fuel cut.

It works great as it is - just as good as RLTC but better in some ways because you can change the target amount of slip based on speed or gear etc. If it was set up to do ignition cut first I think it would be even better as I expect you wouldn't even notice it doing anything when you just have a bit of wheelspin.

Yep Whiffin running it on his and SteveL on his. As Mike said, set up by Ryan.

From the passenger seat it all seems very smooth in both cars with a great level of slip control "so you can decide to be neat and quick or lairy like a driving God and it takes care of the lot for you."

By the way those are not my words but a quote from SteveL and I think they were made with more than a little modesty but you get the drift (no pun intended)

Yep Whiffin running it on his and SteveL on his. As Mike said, set up by Ryan.

From the passenger seat it all seems very smooth in both cars with a great level of slip control "so you can decide to be neat and quick or lairy like a driving God and it takes care of the lot for you."

By the way those are not my words but a quote from SteveL and I think they were made with more than a little modesty but you get the drift (no pun intended)

... as Tim said, we both run TC, mines been running last year with approx 600-650 hp and worked well for me.

I have 8 steps that I can use, from no TC right through to full wet running and I tend to adjust that during races.

This year due to running slicks (rather than R888's) it doesn't seem to be kicking in as much one they're warmed up.

Cold slicks need no TC otherwise they dont warm up in time! (rolling start and 1 lap to get the heat in them :) )

As to how it works... I'm the driver :) so Ryan's yer man - although I know we spent some time getting it setup right.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if my syvecs controls traction by DBW or Fuel cut?

I dont quite understand how either works but if its done by fuel cut/ignition retard then could I remove the all the trac pump etc under the bonnet as its not being used? Or have I got this wrong and it still uses that stuff?

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if my syvecs controls traction by DBW or Fuel cut?

I dont quite understand how either works but if its done by fuel cut/ignition retard then could I remove the all the trac pump etc under the bonnet as its not being used? Or have I got this wrong and it still uses that stuff?

Ryans your man for this but hes currently away.

Supras TC is normally based on wheels speed and it works by altering fuel and ignition to reduce torque, not sure if it does anything else on a DBW motor but I very much doubt it would be doing anything with the stock trac setup. Are you referring to the extra butterfly in front of the main throttle?

Ryans your man for this but hes currently away.

Supras TC is normally based on wheels speed and it works by altering fuel and ignition to reduce torque, not sure if it does anything else on a DBW motor but I very much doubt it would be doing anything with the stock trac setup. Are you referring to the extra butterfly in front of the main throttle?

Im seeing Ryan Tuesday to get the car mapped so i'll ask then.

Its all the stuff at the top rightof the engine bay next to the abs system its just too much pipe work for me especially if its not needed. Also the trac butterfly can go if its not needed either.