The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stupid painful mistakes while working on cars !!

ronttuk

i once touched my mates brake disc to see if it was hot after he'd just got back from somewhere :blink:

i decided from that day on, that i should never touch any part of a car apart from the interior. even then, only if i have adult supervision.

I caught my little finger in the viscous fan last summer while trying to diagnose a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay. After a loud whack, I looked down at my hand to see the latex glove that I was wearing was ripped and flapping about. I then realised it was actually skin flapping around not the glove and it had gone through to the bone! :( Lots of blood followed by bandages it was one of the most painful things I've done as I'm sure i'd chipped/fractured the tip of my finger bone too. It took three days to stop bleeding, all the while I was being harassed to go to A&E but me being me decided to man up & power through it! :)

In the mid seventies I was doing something up behind the dash of a Cortina and at the same time as I saw smoke I smelt something odd, and almost immediately had a searing pain in my right wrist. I pulled my arm out pronto and saw the metal bracelet of my watch was glowing red hot over a two inch length. I unclipped it burning the thumb on my left hand, and it fell off pulling a wodge of smoking flesh stuck to it. It had shorted out wiring to the ammeter to earth, and immediately started to glow red hot. Still have the scar, I now never wear watches or rings. (I always wore a watch on the right wrist, never seemed normal having a watch on the left wrist, dunno why...).

i once touched my mates brake disc to see if it was hot after he'd just got back from somewhere :blink:

i decided from that day on, that i should never touch any part of a car apart from the interior. even then, only if i have adult supervision.

Mate of mine did the same thing but with his own car outside my house. I opened the front door to see him hopping around grasping his index finger and shouting something about touching his brake disc. He then spent the next 30 minutes sat in my kitchen with his finger stuck in a glass of water :D

Ben Collins was in my passenger seat doing some driver training. Mid-drift, hand came off the wheel and smacked the screen extremely hard due to the tension in my body (we were travelling quite quickly at the time and I was concentrating). Huge crack instantly appeared across whole screen before 'spidering' out. He said that's the first time he's ever heard about it happening. Bit of a freak incident TBH - trust me to be the culprit :D

That's twice you've done that now - remember that day at Ford airfield?

not done on a car.. but as silly as some of these

guy at work was doing some soldering a small comunications plug.. he then needed to move it around whilst holding another part..

stil holding the soldering iron he did what he normal done when he has something in his hand and needs 2 hands..

stuck it in his mouth ...

i bet that smart a bit....

Me i have clocked myself many a times when pulling on something a slipped etc... as of yet nothing majoy (touch wood).. although got a belt off a lead the other day why trying to work out which cylinder was not firing...

A guy in work was fitting a new door to a Vauxhall Meriva. He was removing the window mechanism from the old door with a drill as they are riveted on.

Once he got it out he noticed that not all the rivets had been removed fully so he put it on his leg and drilled the remains out and drilled into his leg the daft sod.

Once i heard what he had done i went over for a giggle and noticed there was a curly but of skin still attached to the drill bit and plenty of claret. He was a lucky lad as the hospital said any deeper and he would of been straight in for an op. Did make me giggle though.

Puttin on my front lip. I drilled and riveted most of it but was having real trouble with the last part.

I didn't have a clamp so was holding the edge of the bumper and the edge of the lip togeter with some pliers while drilling. However as I'd done loads my hand was cramping up so decided to use my hand.

You guessed it. Managed to drill through the fibreglass, the plastic, my nail and the tip of my thumb.