The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stupid painful mistakes while working on cars !!

ronttuk

Talking to an old friend the other day he reminded me of when I cut a nut of a car with and angle grinder as it fell to the floor I moved out the way then sat straight on the red hot nut it burnt through my jeans and he had to pull it out my arse with pliers.

I just wonder what stupid mistakes others have done in the past.

Knocked myself out while trying to change a bush at the end of a stabiliser/track bar on my old camper.

Lying on my back, open end of a 32mm spanner on the nut that held the bar to the chassis. It wouldn't budge with almost my entire body weight hanging out of it so I tried really swinging out of it.

Unfortunately the spanner slipped and caught me in the right temple as I was falling back to earth so I was already stunned when my head hit the ground.

Woke up sometime later (don't really know) with the right side of my face caked in blood.

I borrowed some old ramps from my Nan's (belong to my Dad and his brothers when they were younger) to change my exhaust.

After changing it over, I proceeded to drive off the ramps. The car wasn't going forward then all of a sudden the rear end just dropped to the ground. I forgot to take the blocks of wood from in front of the front wheels.

Luckily my Dad wasn't standing behind as the ramps shot about 10ft back!

Painful to my car not myself.

I wanted to drive my old R5 Turbo onto some ramps, could not do this as the car / bumper was way to low. So removed the bumper drove up the ramp without issue. Got all the work I needed done and a friend suggested how much easier it would be to fit the bumper at that height. For some stupid bl00dy reason I did not think twice and said, what a fine idea. We fitted the bumper, on reversing the car off the ramps. Smash / crunch and dead bumper. In fact the weight of the car was for a while resting on the bumper until it failed totally and dropped. Very stupid and painful mistake.

I also peeled my right thumb like a banana.

Was trying to hold a cracked headlight on the plant truck together while I stuck some duct tape across it as a hurried temporary fix.

I was keeping the glass together at the centre of the crack with my right thumb while I was trying to tear off skinny strips of tape with my left hand and teeth.

I focused a little too much on what I was doing with the tape and pushed a little too hard on the glass, which gave way.

:blink: Do tell....

Ben Collins was in my passenger seat doing some driver training. Mid-drift, hand came off the wheel and smacked the screen extremely hard due to the tension in my body (we were travelling quite quickly at the time and I was concentrating). Huge crack instantly appeared across whole screen before 'spidering' out. He said that's the first time he's ever heard about it happening. Bit of a freak incident TBH - trust me to be the culprit :D

After a long drive.. got back and changed my cats over .. wore gloves etc so didnt burn me, Un-done the 2 bolts front and back of the 2nd cat .. and it preceded to fall on my forehead .. giving me a nice burnt mark all the way across my face.. lovely.

Ben Collins was in my passenger seat doing some driver training. Mid-drift, hand came off the wheel and smacked the screen extremely hard due to the tension in my body (we were travelling quite quickly at the time and I was concentrating). Huge crack instantly appeared across whole screen before 'spidering' out. He said that's the first time he's ever heard about it happening. Bit of a freak incident TBH - trust me to be the culprit :D

How long are your arms?!

Pretty cool having Ben Collins for driver training. What was he like?

How long are your arms?!

Pretty cool having Ben Collins for driver training. What was he like?

Long enough. Usually I find that if something stupid is going to happen, it'll happen to me. I'm quite used to it. Don't ask how I ended my career as a ski instructor :D

His car control is god-like. Unbelievable TBH.

Long enough. Usually I find that if something stupid is going to happen, it'll happen to me. I'm quite used to it. Don't ask how I ended my career as a ski instructor :D

His car control is god-like. Unbelievable TBH.

I reckon you're either born with it or not. That's my only explantion for Senna.

I haven't had any physically painful mistakes but I have made stupid ones such as forgetting to tighten my wheelbolts after lowering the car.....the results weren't so good.

A funny but painful one. Not me but my mate's brother when he was about 10.

He was helping his Dad build his Cobra kit car. As he tightened something with a spanner, the spanner slipped off and he fell backwards landing sitting down on a plank of wood. The wood had a 6" nail sticking through it and it went straight up his a-hole.

Apparently he screamed for ages (wouldn't you?!) and had to go to hospital. Nightmare for him, funny for everyone else. He still gets ripped about it (now 19) :D

I was welding myself a new bracket in my work shop for the supra around two weeks before bonfire night, needless to say I thought I had put all the fireworks away.

Apart from the largest shop bought air bomb’s you could buy at the time. I was happily welding away and BOOM goes the air bomb from the tube, hit the job I was welding, stopped dead on the work bench in front of me, and just as I lifted up my mask to see what the hell the bang was it exploded about one and a half foot from my face.

My hand was right on top of it when it went off as I was about to put the welding handle down. I nearly lost my fingers, and eye sight in one go, and im now partially deaf in my right ear.

I spent a night in hospital, and was bandaged up for around 3 months (not good) and extremely painful

(Don’t play with fireworks kids) :bang: :sos: :badidea:

If any on knows or remembers the good old Proton Bomb's you will know they were a monster. It makes it worse that they had 2 in a tube so both went off in a small area. Which set a few rags on fire, which proceded in some halfords aerosol cans going boom too. I nearly burnt my workshop down, and articles were thrown through the roof.

I do have pics of my hand but I will have to up load them later as im at work.

Thanks for the intro Marc :p

While working on the mrs car 2 weeks ago i got my middle finger trapped between the caliper and the spoke. Any further in and i would have lost the tip of my finger.

Luckily for me it was a broken bone and they managed to sew the flap that was the end of my finger back on :)

PS its still sore :(

I stuck my fingers in my fan the other day when i was checking to see if my top hose was getting warm, That tickled

LOL, done that many a time!