The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rx8 not starting HD Video Inside

Geo

Right so my mates RX8 has decided not to start, i know these are prone to flooding, and have followed the de flood procedure, but still nothing, gona take the plugs out through the week and see whats going on with it. I think it aint getting a spark from the sounds of it. Huge smell of fuel when trying to start it.

Any idea's guys?

Is it gettin Fuel? Might not be gettin a spark as you say mate. I dont think the engines fooked as mazda say it is.

defo fuel there, can smell it a mile off. Need to check plugs and see whats going on, so will need to get it up here at some point? Need to take N/S/F wheel off to get to the plugs FFS. What a shitty design

Do a compression check, it doesn't sound as healthy as it should. I've rebuilt 4 of these now for people when they've blown apex seals / water seals. Assuming you've tried pulling the fuel pump relay & cranking it @ WOT?

The coils are also a common fault, make sure the plugs do indeed spark. Is the CEL light on?

Do a compression check, it doesn't sound as healthy as it should. I've rebuilt 4 of these now for people when they've blown apex seals / water seals. Assuming you've tried pulling the fuel pump relay & cranking it @ WOT?

The coils are also a common fault, make sure the plugs do indeed spark. Is the CEL light on?

Ben,

Comp test was done by Mazda they said it was down, but not as low as they have seen... i'll go buy a plug tester tomorrow and see if there good or not??

Edited by Geo (see edit history)

WOW - :blink: glad i dont have a RX8.

Coils x 4

Spark Plugs x 4

Leads x 4

Total - £450 inc Vat

The plan is to get the all that rusbbish out at the wknd and see if there is any damage to them, if so then replace and see if the car works?????

I was told my an AA man that the Mazda main dealers have been known to tow these down the road, in gear, when trying to overcome flodding issues - as the WOT cranking sometimes still doesn't work.

tried this dude, still no joy. :(

Ben,

Comp test was done by Mazda they said it was down, but not as low as they have seen... i'll go buy a plug tester tomorrow and see if there good or not??

I've got one you can borrow if you can wait for the mail?

I've got one you can borrow if you can wait for the mail?

ah its cool bud, i'll just buy one, need one anyway for when mine is home, cheers anyway bud :D As it stands my mate has called the RAC, i wanted to pull it apart and check stuff but as he knows fek all, he's gone with them. So waiting to see what they say tonight, i said look if he cant start it, get it to mine and we can go over it step by step. :D

:) Have you had the plugs out, cleaned them off with a blow torch & spun the motor with no plugs or FP ECU?

not yet dude, thats the plan for this wknd.

I also think the blades of the rotor are shot out...

The engine looks pretty stock, otherwise I would have suggested there was a port work done to the engine. I have a friend of mine with RX7 that had the same issue...

car is bone stock, my mate only flipping know where the battery is, wudnt have a clue where to start modding. :D

I also think the blades of the rotor are shot out...

The engine looks pretty stock, otherwise I would have suggested there was a port work done to the engine. I have a friend of mine with RX7 that had the same issue...

If it is that tell your mate to lube up! Take plugs out and turn over etc then take it from there. The rx8 is a total nightmare for this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Take the coil packs off. ( you have to remove all the air filter stuff) Look at the bottom of the coil packs and look for white dots. this means they are shorting out and fooked. you can get coil packs online for about £60 each but mazda want £100+. If this has been suggested then ignor me :0)

HTH

Dave.

Compression problems in the RX8 are generally symptomised by an increasing reluctance to start when hot, so did your mate have such problems? If not I suspect it is not the engine failing.

BTW you can get a set of genuine coils, plugs, and leads from a company in the states called Zapparts, they advertise on ebay. I paid £230 for mine.