The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water pump/overheating problem.

hodge

Just had the car out for a steady drive for a couple of miles to my parents house after it was warm and all was good. I kept the car under 3k and had no issues as all. On the way back I increased the revs a little to almost 4k again car drove fine but noticed the stock water temp gauge and risen upto just over 3/4 very close to the red mark as I pulled into my street. As I stopped the temp was very quickly dropping. I turned off the car and went for the laptop to check an acurate temp on the syvecs, and the temp was around 100 degrees which odviously it had been higher than the when I was driving for a short period of time.

The water pump on the car has done 193000km and the car only has water in it at present.

Now because of the increased size of the water system now for the big twin setup, is it possible that the pump just can't cope anymore.

I am ordering a water pump and thermostat tomorrow anyways wether this issue had arisen or not.

What do you guys think, could there be any other reason for this rise in temps.

I've also posted this in Johnnys project thread too.

Any input would be great

Thanks

John

First thing I would do is change that water pump, that mileage is massive on a pump, they are usually changed when the cambelt is! My overheating problems were very similar and I changed everything Bar the radiator on the cooling system, last thing I changed was the zircon fan at the front of the car and also found out the connection on the tiny fan in the rad cowl was bad. Now both those fans work properly the overheating seems to be fixed, waiting to test it on a got day now to see if it gets too hot.

When the problem happens is your aircon on or off? The aircon rad could be heating the other rad up if it's on. Also check the 30amp fuse that is for the two fans, it's in the fusebox under the hood, pink min pal fuse.