The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake bleed nipple woes!

Eddie-S

Can anyone shed some light on this problem that just happened when bleeding front brakes (standard J spec)? The metal around the bleed nipple just 'crumbled' and broke off in two parts. The calliper is very clean and looks in very good condition otherwise. I've never heard off this happening before and it would have been pretty disastrous if it had failed whilst driving. I'm not ham fisted and had just freed it off and 'nipped' back up, the replacement I have put on is fine...

When it comes to torquing up wheel nuts / studs and brake bleed nipples, it seems people have this "thing* about tighter being better. Brake caliper bleed nipples just need nipping up, especially on J-Spec calipers. A serious grauncnh on the spanner will do some casting damage or stretch / break wheel fasteners

When it comes to torquing up wheel nuts / studs and brake bleed nipples, it seems people have this "thing* about tighter being better. Brake caliper bleed nipples just need nipping up, especially on J-Spec calipers. A serious grauncnh on the spanner will do some casting damage or stretch / break wheel fasteners

Yup, clueless garage overtightened mine when replacing pads and they fell apart when I noticed a dribble of fluid and went to investigate. Needless to say they denied all knowledge until trading standards gave them a call...