The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Juddering clutch

Homer

I always had an issue with the clutch juddering slightly when releasing from a standing start, last week I changed the flywheel, friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing, but it's still juddering a bit when releasing.

Any ideas on possible causes? The flywheel bolts, pressure plate and all box/prop bolts are were torqued up to Toyota spec and it's not slipping anymore. The friction plate is a patern stock one.

I could put up with it as it's very minor, but obviosuly there's something not quite right somewhere!

I didn't change the spigot, it was in perfect condition, no thrust and it span freely. The Toyota service manual contradicts itself about the spigot swap, it's listed as a non-resuable part on some diagrams, but in the actual description it says only to check for any thrust or sticky movement and replace only if either is seen.

I can't imagine the spigot being at fault though, it and the input shaft would have to be seriously worn to cause it to cause a friction surface allignment problem (at least this is my thinking...!)

I know it use to be a bit of a drag car, Any solid diff mounts on the car? or TRD gearbox mount maybe? ive noticed this on my car every now and then since i went solid mounts.

That's a good thought Jamie :) Everything is stock, only the rear diff mounts were left when I got the car but they're standard. Could be that they're worn out given the cars history, but not sure how to check for that... It's only got an NA diff so I never installed the 2nd rear diff bolt, might give that a try tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

This does give me another idea: Could this be an issue with the prop not being alligned correctly? I never measured up the spacers on the middle prop bracket (don't have the tools to do it). There's no noticable balance issues driving the car but then again I'm not sure it'd be very obvious given the low power.

Errrrmmm... Whoops!

I don't remember any being present, are they a single size or do they need to be shimmed to fit?

The washers are pretty thick, prob around 4-5mm, you could use 2 or 3 ordinary ones and that way experiment, pretty easy to change..........................even for you;)