The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone been to Lake Garda before?

j_jza80

I managed to get myself a great last minute deal on a holiday to Lake Garda, so me and the other half are going in a couple of weeks.

Can anyone recommend anything that I don't want to miss while I'm there? The Stelvio Pass is a couple of hours away, as are Milan and Modena, so I'll probably hire a car out there for a few days.

Cheers.

Lago Di Garda !!!

Sports

· Windsurfing

· Sailing

· Mountain Biking

· Climbing

Transport

The most efficient and spectacular means of getting around the lake is on the River boats, they are inexpensive(2-3 euro) and punctual, roughly every 20/30 mins.(Equivalent of CIE in Lago di Garda ha ha) I would also recommend you rent out some mountain bikes, some great cycle tracks between the small villages but I would suggest either morning or evening, it gets very hot during the day. Most Hotels have the use of mountain bikes for 2 euro for the day.

Food

It doesn’t matter where you go, food is all good and inexpensive, Just expect to put on a few KG. One thing you need to get is the Ice cream, Limone is addictive and best of all ice cream is fresh, handmade and cheap. Parlors every where; beautiful restaurants on the pier in Malcesine, lakeside! Stunning scenery and awesome food!

Places I visited:

One thing I cannot stand is lying beside a pool all day, I last about 20-30 mins so I like to be active. River Boats, Windsurfing, mountain biking, visiting towns, on paper it might look small but to go by river boat from Sirmione to Riva about 3-4 hours, the lake is vast. The River boats zig zag across the river from Town to town.

Riva del Garda --Windsurfing

This is at the top of the Lake, it is the most lively area and where I found the best school for Windsurfing. The wind surfing Lesson’s I did back two years ago where 50 euro for intro lessons over 2 days @ 2 hours, you learn during the morning as the wind and water is slack. (8am-11am); all gear, instructor is provided. The school is 2 min walk from the Savoy Palace Hotel, First time I went this is where I stayed.

Limone

This is also a very lively place, I found this the best for shopping. Tag Heur watch was 900 euro and here in Ireland I compared the same model but it is 1900 euro. A big five star hotel resides here, a lot of tourists. Worth a trip for 2-3 hours.

Malcesine

Favourite place to chill out!

This was the local town to me last time I was there, it is a quant romantic village of intrigue narrow cobble lock streets and traditional Italian masonry. Highly recommended, at night in the court yard , the bars and restaurants are alive with soft live music under a blanket of stars, they village is kept under dim light to enhance the mood. Just sit back and relax with a glass of wine.

For during the day a museum of natural history is located here , worth a look if just for the views. About 5 euro in if I remember

Dro

This is outside Lago di Garda, about 30 min drive from Riva , they have a huge shoe outlet

Garda Land

Waterpark , its pretty awesome !

Excursions

Verona Opera

If you can go, I was not at the opera yet but the amphitheatre is spectacular; its big but no matter where you are you will get a good few of the stage. (approx 2 hours on coach); Verona is a beautiful town with a beautiful Piaza, worth a weekend away. Don’t forget to visit the home of the Capulets (Romeo and Juliet)

Venice

3-4 hours on the coach, worth a trip if you don’t plan on going to Italy again anytime soon (Full day)

Wine Tasting

reds

· Bardolino – you wont go back, local of the region

· Valpolicella Classico

· Valpolicella

I forget the place I went to , it was an hour outside and was a topflight excursion. Great day out, you learn the art of wine making and get to drink a lot

Carlo Esquire!

Drove there a couple of years back. Stayed in Gardone Riviera on the west side of the lake.

Venice is 100 miles away - not too far if you hire a car. Stelvio Pass is probably about 130 miles, but unlike going to Venice, it's not motorway all the way there. Definitely an all day trip! Head north from Riva del Garda and head for Trento - that'll take you via the motorway to save at least some time. Hang a left near Bolzano towards Morano. The road from there isn't very fast (SS40), but it's well worth it if you do go! It's probably a good 3 to 4 hours to get there.

The area of Lake Garda itself is absolutely beautiful.

Enjoy!

Drove there a couple of years back. Stayed in Gardone Riviera on the west side of the lake.

Venice is 100 miles away - not too far if you hire a car. Stelvio Pass is probably about 130 miles, but unlike going to Venice, it's not motorway all the way there. Definitely an all day trip! Head north from Riva del Garda and head for Trento - that'll take you via the motorway to save at least some time. Hang a left near Bolzano towards Morano. The road from there isn't very fast (SS40), but it's well worth it if you do go! It's probably a good 3 to 4 hours to get there.

The area of Lake Garda itself is absolutely beautiful.

Enjoy!

OT but have just seen your signature and donated to your justgiving page - great cause. :)

Lago Di Garda !!!

Sports

· Windsurfing

· Sailing

· Mountain Biking

· Climbing

Transport

The most efficient and spectacular means of getting around the lake is on the River boats, they are inexpensive(2-3 euro) and punctual, roughly every 20/30 mins.(Equivalent of CIE in Lago di Garda ha ha) I would also recommend you rent out some mountain bikes, some great cycle tracks between the small villages but I would suggest either morning or evening, it gets very hot during the day. Most Hotels have the use of mountain bikes for 2 euro for the day.

Food

It doesn’t matter where you go, food is all good and inexpensive, Just expect to put on a few KG. One thing you need to get is the Ice cream, Limone is addictive and best of all ice cream is fresh, handmade and cheap. Parlors every where; beautiful restaurants on the pier in Malcesine, lakeside! Stunning scenery and awesome food!

Places I visited:

One thing I cannot stand is lying beside a pool all day, I last about 20-30 mins so I like to be active. River Boats, Windsurfing, mountain biking, visiting towns, on paper it might look small but to go by river boat from Sirmione to Riva about 3-4 hours, the lake is vast. The River boats zig zag across the river from Town to town.

Riva del Garda --Windsurfing

This is at the top of the Lake, it is the most lively area and where I found the best school for Windsurfing. The wind surfing Lesson’s I did back two years ago where 50 euro for intro lessons over 2 days @ 2 hours, you learn during the morning as the wind and water is slack. (8am-11am); all gear, instructor is provided. The school is 2 min walk from the Savoy Palace Hotel, First time I went this is where I stayed.

Limone

This is also a very lively place, I found this the best for shopping. Tag Heur watch was 900 euro and here in Ireland I compared the same model but it is 1900 euro. A big five star hotel resides here, a lot of tourists. Worth a trip for 2-3 hours.

Malcesine

Favourite place to chill out!

This was the local town to me last time I was there, it is a quant romantic village of intrigue narrow cobble lock streets and traditional Italian masonry. Highly recommended, at night in the court yard , the bars and restaurants are alive with soft live music under a blanket of stars, they village is kept under dim light to enhance the mood. Just sit back and relax with a glass of wine.

For during the day a museum of natural history is located here , worth a look if just for the views. About 5 euro in if I remember

Dro

This is outside Lago di Garda, about 30 min drive from Riva , they have a huge shoe outlet

Garda Land

Waterpark , its pretty awesome !

Excursions

Verona Opera

If you can go, I was not at the opera yet but the amphitheatre is spectacular; its big but no matter where you are you will get a good few of the stage. (approx 2 hours on coach); Verona is a beautiful town with a beautiful Piaza, worth a weekend away. Don’t forget to visit the home of the Capulets (Romeo and Juliet)

Venice

3-4 hours on the coach, worth a trip if you don’t plan on going to Italy again anytime soon (Full day)

Wine Tasting

reds

· Bardolino – you wont go back, local of the region

· Valpolicella Classico

· Valpolicella

I forget the place I went to , it was an hour outside and was a topflight excursion. Great day out, you learn the art of wine making and get to drink a lot

Carlo Esquire!

:thumbs:

Thank you :)

We're staying in Limone, and it sounds like we'll have plenty to do :)

I've been there a couple of times. It is quite nice.

I've stayed at Bardolino and also the Cassone areas which are both on the eastern side of the lake. From the eastern side you can get some really nice sunset views as the sun sets over the mountains on the other side of the lake.

Hire or rent a ride on a speed boat, the lake is full of them and the ones we saw were properly fast boats with huge outboards on them. And also look out for the topless honeys sunbathing on the side of the lake ;)

Gardaland theme park is nearby on the south eastern side of the lake. Haven't been but it seems to be rated quite well.