The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox - rebuild or replace?

Pig

It's been coming for a little while but 3rd gear is now done and dusted.

When racing I can't change up without lots of grinding and I can't get it in at all going down (just grinds).

Driving normally, you wouldn't know anything was wrongs with it.

Please can I request you EXPERIENCED advice.

P.s my budget will not stretch to a new one at 6k +

Thanks

Jon

When it started going wrong, I knew that I would have to get involved with bull shit getting hold of one of these gear boxes. It wasn't that fact that the car was breaking or the cost, just can't be bothered with the hunting.

My tech knowledge is rubbish, is it simple to replace a syncro if that's all that wrong? As at the moment I still have all gears, what went when you did your gear box Jamie?

When it started going wrong, I knew that I would have to get involved with bull shit getting hold of one of these gear boxes. It wasn't that fact that the car was breaking or the cost, just can't be bothered with the hunting.

My tech knowledge is rubbish, is it simple to replace a syncro if that's all that wrong? As at the moment I still have all gears, what went when you did your gear box Jamie?

It will have damaged the syncro and 3rd gear as well as a few other bits.

There are some places that can rebuild these boxes, but they are few and far between. It sounds like the 3rd gear syncro has gone, this is suppoedly something that was uprated in the v161.

If you need I can find details of the person that did the partial rebuild on Ian C's box some year ago. They are based in Watford.

I suppose it depends how much you want rebuilt - i.e just the specific issue resolved or the entire box rebuilt. After speaking to Ryan about his one, it seems that a complete rebuild is not financially viable and would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand one.

The gear cluster will have the little teeth the syncro needs to lock onto, both of these will be warn, the whole gear will need to be replaced, only a couple of really bad missed shifts can do this, hence I will be changing mine this winter to a stronger 5 speed.

One of my best mates rebuilt his 6 speed with a press and OEM parts. It wasn't a huge job, but the parts (as with all Toyota) were relatively expensive.

Its not just the expense, it can take months for the parts to arrive only to find they are the wrong ones. You also need special tools otherwise there is a risk of breaking stuff.

I have a place locally that I may speak to as they seem good. (only looking for partial) then I might ask you to have a look homer.

Missed gears....up or down? I have had loads of both :)

I'll also have a look out for a second hand one...2 & 4k are both out of my budget at the mo as I have just renewed all my single parts and exhaust etc.

Its not just the expense, it can take months for the parts to arrive only to find they are the wrong ones. You also need special tools otherwise there is a risk of breaking stuff.

Yeah, I unintentionally underemphasised the process - my friend is a mechanical engineer, and had the use of a gearbox builder's experience plus some tools for driveshaft building. And, as you've said, the wrong parts were sent at least once.

I think, though, that the balance of experiences posted show that rebuilds aren't economically viable - and I wasn't suggesting they were, just that you could potentially save costs if you were mechanically competent and/or had some motorsport contacts.

I lunched 5th gear a few years ago by cocking up a full bore upshift. Mark (oh how we miss him) at Phoenix in Watford got it sorted out for me. He took it to a place that I don't have the name of, which is a crying shame, as it cost me all of £300 to get it fixed. The box has been perfect for years since then, so they can be fixed and it can be cost effective. I must add that the Getrag 6 speed is a 4 speed box with a 5th/6th module on the front of it, and 5th gear is the first one you come across, so it was the 'easiest' to do. There is a mountain of special one-off service tools needed to pull the blighters apart, so it'll get more expensive for 3rd, but only for labour and non-reusable parts.

Speaking of Toyota sending the wrong bit, this happened to my rebuild, took three attempts to get the right particular bearing. However, it was only a delay of about 6 days, 2 days each time to get the part shipped from Belgium, so it's not the end of the world.

Really it just comes down to trusting someone to rebuild such a complex 'box. If Homer can get the name of the guy who sorted mine out, it'd be a major major plus to us all, as they've got previous form on doing the work and doing it well.

There is a full parts list in a zipfile somewhere on this site, which would help with any rebuild shenanigans.

-Ian

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...