The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance after manual conversion

jackso11

I just asked my insurance company how the premium would change if I had a manual conversion done on my auto, they said they might not insure me at all and would need to check with the underwritters! I did tell them it would be done by a garage and I could show proof of the work.

I said, what if I just insure it as a 6sp manual from the start instead. He said I can't do that, I asked why, he said 'because thats not right'.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think if I get a manual converstion done I will just insure it as a manual and not tell them I changed it.

Insuring converted cars is becoming increasingly more difficult as I discovered first hand recently. I have been told its partly down to the trend of youngsters putting redtops into corsas and the like and leaving the braking/suspension systems as they were when they had a 3 cylinder 1 litre engine in.Dont know how true that is, but sounds feasable. Have to tell you I really struggled to get cover on a conversion that essentially down graded the car in performance terms.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think if I get a manual converstion done I will just insure it as a manual and not tell them I changed it.

You'd best hope you never have to claim on your insurance then. When they ask you if you've made any engine or performance modifications, what do you say?

There must be insurers who will insure a 6sp converted car, but you need to be up-front with them otherwise you're just handing them a "get out of paying you a penny" card. Undeclared modifications? That'll invalidate your insurance.

You'd best hope you never have to claim on your insurance then. When they ask you if you've made any engine or performance modifications, what do you say?

There must be insurers who will insure a 6sp converted car, but you need to be up-front with them otherwise you're just handing them a "get out of paying you a penny" card. Undeclared modifications? That'll invalidate your insurance.

Does it unvalidate all the Insurance or just a payout relating to the gear box? Obviously if the box caused the accident then that might be a cause to invalidate the claim.

No

If that were the case then having aftermarket alloy wheels would invalidate the insurance too. As far as I am aware if you don't declar you wheels they are just not insured at their value.

If that were the case then having aftermarket alloy wheels would invalidate the insurance too. As far as I am aware if you don't declar you wheels they are just not insured at their value.

as far as im aware if you have alloys on your car and not sated it DOES invalidate the insurance

as far as im aware if you have alloys on your car and not sated it DOES invalidate the insurance

Yeah I'm pretty sure they won't payout. You might also leave yourself open to being sued for any third party costs as well. Unlikely, but possible.

No

Of course having aftermarket wheels invalidates your insurance. Having any modifications done to your car that aren't factory standard is classified as a mod. If you phone up the insurance company and tell them you have aftermarket 17" alloys then there is no stopping you from changing to different 17" alloys without telling them, but that's where the line is drawn.

You need to notify the DVLA of the change, that simply changes the details of the car on record. A note is put on the cars registration to inform anyone checking that it is now a 6spd. Your V5 document is only a summary of the information on the car. There are notes on there, including previous registration numbers etc.

If you simply insured the car as a 6spd, when it wasn't a factory 6spd, you would be in a world of trouble if a claim came about.

Where has all the common sense gone?

I'm glad the OP asked this question before doing the conversion, rather than doing what some people would do and then posting up a thread after conversion saying "OMG OMG wat do i do lolz?"

If you're not happy with the hassle of telling insurers about a mod, or with the potentially increased cost of insurance, then the only sensible advice is don't do the mod.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Your also required to declare change of radio head unit and extra cost again if its over 200GBP. I would guess at this is because it would make the car a target and not many people steal standard units. I mean come on, who ever declares an aftermarket radio (unless its a series bit of kit).

Good point about the head unit. I've changed mine (it's not a fancy one) but haven't declared it to my insurer, and I'm comfortable having not done so. The car came with a knackered aftermarket one when I bought it, although that's no defence. I think common sense has to be applied here, which I know is a wobbly concept. I follow this guidance: if the parts are cosmetic and designed to improve the appearance of the car, then they should be declared because they might attract the attention of undesirables (and hence increase the insurance risk). If the parts are drivetrain-related and not like-for-like stock replacements, they should be be declared.

Another way of looking at it is if the mods would be something you'd be proud of (i.e. something to boast about to your mates), then it should be declared.

Aftermarket wheels? Definitely declare them, a no-brainer IMO.

Seat re-trim? I wouldn't declare that unless it's in a lairy colour/style that would attract attention to the car.

DSC with TSD? Again I wouldn't declare those. A DSC is a useful feature on a JSpec car in the UK.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

There are some interesting posts here along the lines of... If you don't declare then your claim is invaild. ICOBS rules seems to suggest otherwise. I don't think your alloy wheels will invalidate your insurance whatever your insurer warns. I suspect your wheels simply wouldn't be covered in any claim they pay out on. It is very hard to invalidate a claim if the person is not a company.

"ICOBS 8.1.2

06/01/2008

A rejection of a consumer policyholder's claim is unreasonable, except where there is evidence of fraud, if it is for:

(1) non-disclosure of a fact material to the risk which the policyholder could not reasonably be expected to have disclosed; or

(2) non-negligent misrepresentation of a fact material to the risk; or

(3) breach of warranty or condition unless the circumstances of the claim are connected to the breach and unless (for a pure protection contract):

(a) under a 'life of another' contract, the warranty relates to a statement of fact concerning the life to be assured and, if the statement had been made by the life to be assured under an 'own life' contract, the insurer could have rejected the claim under this rule; or

(b) the warranty is material to the risk and was drawn to the customer's attention before the conclusion of the contract."

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)