The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Future Classics?

JamieP

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly agree with the M5. They're becoming seriously cheap now, while still having high running costs. Give it a few years and good ones will command good money again, similar Will happen with the E60.

:thumbs:

E39s are cult but 99 ( can anyone say VANOS problems?) M5 with horrid leather seats for that price is just pushing it :D

110% agree about NSX though...super great cars.

Yes, but you can get them fixed easily now :D

I think the biggest selling point that one I posted is the 39k mileage! a lot of the were used by big executives & due to their age getting a low mileage one is pretty hard to come by. The interior I admit is a bit err you know what but at least it is in mint condition. :)

TBH the Vanos problems are seriously overhyped. Worst case scenario is circa £1500-£2000 these days (on a twin Vanos car, like the M5), which is barely any more than a set of turbos going on a TT, a Rotary rebuild on an RX7/8 or an oil change on a GTR :D

:thumbs:

Yes, but you can get them fixed easily now :D

I think the biggest selling point that one I posted is the 39k mileage! a lot of the were used by big executives & due to their age getting a low mileage one is pretty hard to come by. The interior I admit is a bit err you know what but at least it is in mint condition. :)

the interior in most E39 M5s is similar, odd that the lower models often have much nicer interiors. Some of the individual specc'd cars are utterly stunning though, BMWs Champagne leather being especially nice IMO.

TBH the Vanos problems are seriously overhyped. Worst case scenario is circa £1500-£2000 these days (on a twin Vanos car, like the M5), which is barely any more than a set of turbos going on a TT, a Rotary rebuild on an RX7/8 or an oil change on a GTR :D

:D

Sierra RS500 command similar to a very good 22B, but the prices are sky rocketing now. Actually, either of these cars too:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/j_s14a/69095098.jpg

Limited edition German cars are almost always a safe bet too.

Except for the RS500 I don't see any reason for the Cosworth being so expensive. The performance is easily matched even by the N/A Supra.

Except for the RS500 I don't see any reason for the Cosworth being so expensive. The performance is easily matched even by the N/A Supra.

Go on Pistonheads, and ask what's more desirable between a MKIV Supra and a 3 door Cossie. You'll get your answer.

No matter how nice the Supra is, an old Toyota is never going to be as collectable as an old Ford with a bit of Motorsport heritage.

db7s are real cheap at the moment , they can only go back up. ive seen some nice clean supercharged versions for sub 10k . if they get any cheaper ill be choping in my xk for 1 :) cant see them geting any cheaper though.

i like to the the mk1 xks will be classics one day ... maybe

Go on Pistonheads, and ask what's more desirable between a MKIV Supra and a 3 door Cossie. You'll get your answer.

No matter how nice the Supra is, an old Toyota is never going to be as collectable as an old Ford with a bit of Motorsport heritage.

As sad as that sounds, it is very true!

db7s are real cheap at the moment , they can only go back up. ive seen some nice clean supercharged versions for sub 10k . if they get any cheaper ill be choping in my xk for 1 :) cant see them geting any cheaper though.

Very good call Craig, I actually recommended my colleague a DB7 which was only £16k!

Like so: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2823689.htm

I can't see mk1 XKs ever being very valuable, though they are lovely :cool:

Very good call Craig, I actually recommended my colleague a DB7 which was only £16k!

Immaculate, low mileage cars, GTs and Zagatos will be worth something, the others not so much IMO. they are still achingly beautiful things, more so than the current Astons as the look has now been done to death.

• 4 weeks later...

What j_jza80 said.

Older cars don't become collectable for their performance. They tend to become collectable for one of two reasons:

1) Rarity (a couple of hundred scattered around the UK is probably not rare enough)

2) Nostalgia. These are cars that people dreamed of owning when they were 9 year old kids. I don't mean exotic supercars (e.g. Lambo Countach) although they might command a high price now. I mean cars that people used to actually see on the road occasionally, and not just outside Harrods either.

996 GT2 will definitely be a future classic.

The 993 GT2 prices are crazy now, and as more 996 GT2's are crashed/written off the demand will increase. It's also the last of the "true" GT2's in many people's opinion, with the 997's being a little easier to drive.

• 2 months later...