The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any tip for removing a v160 box on my back on the garage floor.

hodge

Those bearings will interchange OK. The last 10 mm or so is the input shat not entering the crankshaft spigot bearing cleanly. Alignment issue. Get it in as far as it will go and GENTLY try pulling it up the rest of the way EVENLY, with three bellhousing bolts, one each side lowish down, and one at the top. It'll probably go in. Give a good viloent shake as you go, sometimes they need a bit of firm disciplining :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Chris, I think this confirms Gav and my thoughts this is the input shaft not going into the spigot.

This is a w58 so I don't believe its possible to tighten the pressure plate bolts with the box installed. Are you saying that the pressure plate should be slightly tightened (enough for the friction plate to move, but be secure), get it alligned by pushing the box on, then removing the box again to tighten the pressure plate bolts? Or have I misunderstood? :)

No, centre it by eye as best you can (it's surprising how accurate you can get it by eye), and bolt the cover up tight. Then fit box and try pulling up the last bit with the bellhousing bolts, evenly and carefully. If the clutch cover bolts are left loose enough to allow the plate to slide you probably will get the `box in easily, but when you pull the `box out again to tighten the cover bolts fully it'll probably shift the plate out of line again.... :( Fitting push type clutches can seem a bit of a pain compared to pull types. I think you are probably being a bit too gentle with it ;)

Steve kindly posted a clutch allignemnt tool, but we didn't realise the v160 and w58 have different sized splines :(

So, got another clutch tool off a neighbour, it is far from a perfect fit so has some play... Alligned the clutch so it's near perfect inline visually, but STILL cannot get the box on the last 8-10mm.

Looking at the pictures below, do you guys think it's in the spigot? It seems pretty close after todays effort, but still can't get it forward that last bit

(Yes, I know it's a bit on the skew in the pictures, I couldn't hold the box and take a pic at the same time :) )

Image0499.jpg

Image0500.jpg

Well, I have just checked and the TT and N/A manual 2JZ engines both use the same spigot bearing, so you can't have the wrong one. it should be 90363-12002

Have you tried pulling it up on the bellhousing bolts? Still think it's the spigot bearing / input shaft engagement, and you being too soft with it :) Probably hard to get any effort on it from on the deck, you need to try using bellhousing bolts next, but don't go mad...

It's the spline that goes into the friction plate that are a different size, so the tool Steve sent doesn't fit into the friction plate.

I've not tried tightening it up on the bolts but will give that a (careful!) go next. Thanks for the feedback

Have you tried pulling it up on the bellhousing bolts? Still think it's the spigot bearing / input shaft engagement, and you being too soft with it :) Probably hard to get any effort on it from on the deck, you need to try using bellhousing bolts next, but don't go mad...

BINGO!! You were right Chris, it just needed a bit more force (not a lot) to get it back on that last 8mm. As you suggested I used the bolts to bring it back onto the block. Thanks for sticking with me on this, it's really appreciated. Professionals like you must despair at people like me :D

All sorted now and back together. Surprisingly the draintrain is now completely silent. I thought the box was knackered but it must have been a combination of worn out clutch and release bearing casuing all the noise. There was a fair bit of play in the gearbox input shaft though, so maybe the release bearing won't last long. The shaft moved left to right with a clonk, I'd guess at least 0.5mm movement from left to right while holding the far (spigot) end.

Have you tried getting someone to turn the engine using the front pulley bolt while you manouvre the box.

Missed your reply Si, yep we did try that, but I think leverage was the issue combined with the clutch not being exactly centred. All sorted now though