The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any tip for removing a v160 box on my back on the garage floor.

hodge

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i'll be honest, there was a couple of hairy moments when it was being jacked back up and at one point the jack lent over sideways but i caught it in time. i put that down to the small piece of 2x4 i had on the jack cup and it wasnt the largest of trolley jacks in the first place so i could have used something more suitable. its definately an all day job that way though, i started around lunch time and i still need to reconnect the prop, starter and gear lever tomorrow. i do think i was reasonably lucky with it to get it back in place first time though. good thing with the trolley jack going in from the front was as i lifted the box it came up and back towards the engine at the same time so lining it up wasnt too much trouble.

did it today with the front wheels sat on 2 old 15" steel wheels either side. its just about enough room that way and i lowered the box down with a small trolley jack but it took 2 of us to keep it steady as it went down. the hardest part for me was getting at the 2 top bellhousing bolts, and not knowing i had more bolts under the inspection covers to remove :D

You weren't kidding about those two bolts being tricky (one of the passenger side especially)!

Are there any tips from people here on getting the box seperated from the engine? I've got mine back about 5mm, but can't seem to get it to move any further :(

Was your one a w58 or v160? There's a small inspection plate on the w58, but the manual doesn't say there's any bolts under there...

Thanks Craig, you mean pry the transmision away from the block with the pry bar between the belhousing and block?

The car isn't too high, but still don't fancy it landing my my chest! I've got a trolley jack and some blocks of wood supporting it. Should there be no/little support on the box when pulling it back? At the moment the box is dropped about 1 inch at the rear, should it just be lightly suspended?

This job has been a pita so far, probably one of the worse I've done on the car (and that's saying something with this one!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=134695&stc=1&d=1308254069

Image0464-2.jpg

mine is the v160. it pretty much slid off after i removed the 6 12mm bolts on the clutch from the inspection holes. not sure if the w58 is the same though. i had a jack on the box at the same time trying to keep it level as it came out. i wouldnt be under there on my own for when it comes off completely, the w58 is probably lighter than the v160 but its still gonna feel like a ton when comes free suddenly

Cheers guys :thumbs:

I've dropped the back of the box down a bit and the trans mount is removed already. Dwayne, the w58 is probably a lot ligher than the v160, the box is smaller and a lot simpler.

Justgav is going to drop by tomorrow evening to lend a hand if I can't do it on my own, maybe more brute force is needed!

Now heres what I cannot work out, although I must admit it took a few years to get my head around this way of thinking, If you are a tradesman etc how much could you earn in the time it has taken to get that box out???? AFR will do a 6 speed clutch for £150, now trust me for £150 I would not be lying on my back getting filthy and hurt if I could do a bit of IT to pay for it or machine up a few parts:eyebrows:

Make sure you disconnect the electrical plugs too - when I pulled my engine and left the gearbox in the car I forgot one and couldn't figure out why the engine wasn't coming out. I ended up breaking the wires and having to resolder them!

Got the gearbox off in the end (missed a bolt in the darkness!). Thanksfully Gav was able to give a hand today, it's FAR easier with two people!! We tried to reinstall the box today got it on the spline, but couldn't get it in the last 10mm or so.

I didn't have a clutch allignment tool so eyeballed it... Is this where I've gone wrong? It does look spot on, but I guesss the input shaft is not going to the pilot bearing. It was going on the clutch disk itself fine...

Will a generic "halfords" style clutch allignment tool be okay?

Starting to wish I'd left this to the professionals now :D

When i did mine on the driveway it went on the splines but wouldnt go any further because the engine was leaning forward on the mounts.

Try jacking up the front of the engine up a bit to angle the rear down and it should slide in if your confident the alignment is bang on.

That's a good call, but we did try that. The allignment of the box to the engine was good (we tried for nearly an hour jigglying the box around), it just wouldn't move forward that last 1cm.

We've taken the box off again and will try to get an allignment tool tomorrow, just not sure if the generic ones are any use on a supra.

It's easier to just put the clutch plate and disc on the gearbox input shaft, attach the box and then bolt the plate to the flywheel through the inspection hole. Then you don't need an alignment tool.

That's a good idea - but this is a w58 - there's no inspection holes on the bellhousing :( I hijacked this thread from Hodge so the title is a bit misleading now!

That's a good idea - but this is a w58 - there's no inspection holes on the bellhousing :( I hijacked this thread from Hodge so the title is a bit misleading now!

Ah sorry mate, should have read the thread properly I guess! ;) Good luck with it.

No luck finding a suitable clutch alignment tool :( Tried everywhere local but there's nothing suitable for the w58/v160 boxes.

Tried two more times today just getting it alligned by eyeballing it, but just can't get the box on that last 10mm or so.

Gav's mate (MAC tools guy) is droping off a clutch alignment tool tomorrow so I'm hoping that should finally solve it!

Just to eliminate one possible issue, the release bearing I was supplied is slightly different to the one that was in the box, it appears to have the same dimensions, but just wanted to check if anyone knows why the parts are different looking? I can't see any reason it would impact the operation at it fits perfectly...

attachment.php?attachmentid=134799&stc=1&d=1308433055

Image0473.jpg