The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any tip for removing a v160 box on my back on the garage floor.

hodge

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't be easy from your back mate. Do you have a gearbox jack? Makes the job a lot easier.

WIthout you're going to need a fairly large trolley jack and a spare pair of hands to work the jack while you balance the box on it.

I had a ramp to do mine so it was pretty easy the box is not that heavy mate you could do it on your own but you are best to get a mate to help , the biggest problem i had was getting to the bolts around the top of the bell housing you need about 2 feet of extensions to go across the top of the box. Rich.

I've been contemplating doing this with my car, but the main issue I can see is getting the car *safely* high enough to remove the box out from under the car. It also seems that refitting one without a proper gearbox jack can be very tricky.

Still not sure if I'll try it, so let us know how you get on :D

I've been contemplating doing this with my car, but the main issue I can see is getting the car *safely* high enough to remove the box out from under the car. It also seems that refitting one without a proper gearbox jack can be very tricky.

Still not sure if I'll try it, so let us know how you get on :D

I've got a set of these..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE-CAR-RAMPS-CAR-LIFTS-CJAUTOS-/330542859082?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item4cf5e3c34a

They work a treat. I need to remove the bumper to get the supra on them though. Could extend the ramp fairly easily though I guess.

Best tip i can give..... pay somebody else to do it;)

I can't get anyone I can trust to do it cos when it's done I'll end up finding something that's not good enough. And lee is a little far away. So under the car I go.

I can't get anyone I can trust to do it cos when it's done I'll end up finding something that's not good enough.

and thats exactly why i'm doing it myself too. i'm hoping i can get it down onto an old skateboard and wheel it out when its off :)

and thats exactly why i'm doing it myself too. i'm hoping i can get it down onto an old skateboard and wheel it out when its off :)

Wheeling it out is the easy part, getting it down onto and up off of the skateboard is the tricky part :(

good point :) ok, best way i can think of doing this from the floor if you have no gearbox jacks etc is to undo everything apart from 2 bolts on the gearbox mount then rest the bellhousing on your knees and support the other end while undoing the mount. somebody else would need to be there to help slide the box free from the engine but it shouldnt be too difficult after that, either that or you'll be trapped under your car hugging a 52kg gearbox. thats the way i'll be trying it anyway

I can't get anyone I can trust to do it cos when it's done I'll end up finding something that's not good enough. And lee is a little far away. So under the car I go.

That's the spirit.

Watch you don't scratch your bulkhead as the engine tilts downwards once the box mount is off.

We drop it down on a 3 ton trolley jack( the 3 ton normally has a large cup/plate) with a couple of 3x3 pieces of wood screwed together, if you are just changing the clutch etc leave the box on the jack or wheel it out from under the car.

I've got a set of these..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEIGHT-ADJUSTA...item4cf5e3c34a

They work a treat. I need to remove the bumper to get the supra on them though. Could extend the ramp fairly easily though I guess.

Thats a very good price. I was looking for a transmission floor jack last year and they were much more expensive than that. In the end I used a similar trick to the 3 tonne mentioned earlier but I made up a metal base and brackets:)

Thats a very good price. I was looking for a transmission floor jack last year and they were much more expensive than that. In the end I used a similar trick to the 3 tonne mentioned earlier but I made up a metal base and brackets:)

They usually go for a lot less. I think I paid £165 for them in total (postage etc). Not sure why they have hiked the price up so much.

How high did you need to get the car to safely do that Si? I'm always a bit warey of using axle stands with the car up high!

Jay has a set of extra long/high ramps, they are approx 18" high then ive got some truck axle stands for the rear, makes the car pretty stable.

Done mine with a mate, trolley jack and some decent bits of wood on axle stands.

The box is easy to lift and carry but fiddly when you can't get the car that high.

Get everything ready with all the bolts and tools you need in the right place and take it easy. We was lucky enough to have the use of air tools

did it today with the front wheels sat on 2 old 15" steel wheels either side. its just about enough room that way and i lowered the box down with a small trolley jack but it took 2 of us to keep it steady as it went down. the hardest part for me was getting at the 2 top bellhousing bolts, and not knowing i had more bolts under the inspection covers to remove :D