The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got my new muscle car.

pistonbroke

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not into American cars but it looks like a very good example. I assume you don't find a left-hooker that impractical, seeing as you've just bought one? :)

Like the supra before it, this is just a weekend toy. So the left hooker bit doesn't really bother me.

I prefer the hardtops but looks great! :D I want one! How much different is it on insurance to the Supra?

It's actually a little more to insure than a BPU supra, but I think that's down to the value of the car.

Nice one, dude. Great looking car you got yourself there.

As you say, the Mustang doesn't have leaf springs, but does have the live rear axle which is what people in this country criticise it for on bumpy roads. However, as I found out when I moved from Supra to Corvette, there's a whole lot more to enjoy about a car than just speed and handling. Driving around in that Mustang on a warm summer evening with the top down listening to that exhaust note will put a BIG smile on your face. And you probably won't be passing someone else driving the same car very often!

I always laugh at the comments such as 'prehistoric leaf springs'! The Corvette is the one with leaf springs, but if people would actually bother to research these and not blindly believe the rubbish spouted by Clarkeson, they'd see that it's not got longitudinally mounted strips of metal at each corner, but one composite, transverse mounted leaf spring at each end with dual wishbone suspension at each corner. It's good enough for the Z06 to go round the Top Gear track in some pretty impressive company, so maybe not as 'prehistoric' as some would have you believe.

It's idiot comments like this that you'll have to get used to when owning an American car, but TBH, I wouldn't get rid of my 'vette now for anything that'd cost me this side of about £50k. If someone starts with the whole 'leafsprings/doesn't handle well' cr@p, I just say 'Yeah you're right, it's a rubbish car - don't buy one!' Hopefully it'll stay rare that way.

Enjoy it - it looks fantastic!

:)

Nice one, dude. Great looking car you got yourself there.

As you say, the Mustang doesn't have leaf springs, but does have the live rear axle which is what people in this country criticise it for on bumpy roads. However, as I found out when I moved from Supra to Corvette, there's a whole lot more to enjoy about a car than just speed and handling. Driving around in that Mustang on a warm summer evening with the top down listening to that exhaust note will put a BIG smile on your face. And you probably won't be passing someone else driving the same car very often!

I always laugh at the comments such as 'prehistoric leaf springs'! The Corvette is the one with leaf springs, but if people would actually bother to research these and not blindly believe the rubbish spouted by Clarkeson, they'd see that it's not got longitudinally mounted strips of metal at each corner, but one composite, transverse mounted leaf spring at each end with dual wishbone suspension at each corner. It's good enough for the Z06 to go round the Top Gear track in some pretty impressive company, so maybe not as 'prehistoric' as some would have you believe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/BrianDuff/Stuff/TopGEarZ06StigLap-1.jpg

It's idiot comments like this that you'll have to get used to when owning an American car, but TBH, I wouldn't get rid of my 'vette now for anything that'd cost me this side of about £50k. If someone starts with the whole 'leafsprings/doesn't handle well' cr@p, I just say 'Yeah you're right, it's a rubbish car - don't buy one!' Hopefully it'll stay rare that way.

Cheers dude, You've hit the nail on the head for me really. Don't get me wrong, I loved the supra (hence why I had two), but I just fancied something a bit more lavish. The supra never got caned, raced, tracked (rained off supra pod). Yet I had all the coilover suspension, BPU with over 400bhp and never really used it for what it excelled at. I couldn't get over speed bumps, the suspension was rock hard, I couldn't park it anywhere for fear of chavvy jealous types (thought that may still be the case with the stang). The Stang however, is a big lazy V8 which looks the part, sounds the part, and is rare enough to turn heads down a high street. All that without knocking my fillings out, and the ability to float over speed bumps :D

I was originally planning on getting a vette, but current financial times prevented me from it. Possibly in the future though when they come down a bit.

I think it will in the UK, the steering wheel is on wrong side! :D

I think it will in the UK, the steering wheel is on wrong side! :D

Oh, I agree absolutely - and I hope to god they NEVER build the 'vette in RHD. I think it's the main thing that puts many people off.

If they only knew how easy it is to get the hang of LHD....

Oh, I agree absolutely - and I hope to god they NEVER build the 'vette in RHD. I think it's the main thing that puts many people off.

If they only knew how easy it is to get the hang of LHD....

It certainly does!

And I agree with you, driving a LHD car sounds more daunting than it is!

It only took me about 15 minutes of driving before I got comfortable with it! :)

It certainly does!

And I agree with you, driving a LHD car sounds more daunting than it is!

It only took me about 15 minutes of driving before I got comfortable with it! :)

Was that driving one in this country?

I've never driven a LHD in this country but as you said after 15mins its pretty easy to drive. I think it may be easier to drive a LHD abroad than in this country. Fancy lending me the stang to find out? :D

Was that driving one in this country?

I've never driven a LHD in this country but as you said after 15mins its pretty easy to drive. I think it may be easier to drive a LHD abroad than in this country. Fancy lending me the stang to find out? :D

Yep, I drove a BMW 6 series and that around London too, but after a little bit you get used to changing lanes, approaching aroundabouts, watching out for cyclists, motorbikes, and other things. Parking wasn't too bad either, having front and rear parking assists helped but it wasn't too bad to park. The only thing I didn't do which I wondered about was overtaking? I can imagine that being a little scary! :D

last time i was at the pod there was a mustang... and it was RHD... which i had never seen before. I think it was a shelby and supercharged. but still a second slower than my bpu. it was candy red. but the paintwork was crap. it was bubbleing and all sorts :S

quick google... http://www.mustangsuk.com/conversion.htm

The bubbling paintwork, was it on the bonnet by any chance?

There is a known issue with this shape mustang where the two metal types used to contruct the bonnet when new intefere and cause what I think is called galvanic corrosion. Ford sorted it after a few years with cars still in the states, but obviously cars exported are not covered under the warranty.

My bonnet is spotless, but I'm changing it anyway.