The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rad low on water, but overflow tank full?

JamieP

I think i lost a bit of water from somewhere as i could see some fluid on the undertray, everything has now been nipped up so hopefully thats the end of that, i was under the impression if the rad was low it would pull water from the overflow tank? this dont seem to be the case, brand new rad cap and also checked the overflow pipe is clear, any ideas why its not pulling water from the tank when needed or is this not the case?

sorry, meant the small hole under the rubber on the inside of the cap next to the small length of pipe that goes into the bottle, either that or the overflow itself. i'd imagine that if either of those was blocked it would struggle to get water into the rad

As a heating engineer I can't understand the cooling system in the Supra for one minute. The expansion tank seems to be only capable of topping up the rad at best and if you lose water from the highest point in the system (near the bulkhead) you would get airlocks that would stop the liquid from the expansion bottle entering the system naturally. I put a copper top up connector on my NA at the highest point and filled the system from there instead of the rad. Never had a problem after I fitted this, although I never had any more leaks after that.

It did give me a very easy way of checking the fluid level as I didn't trust the expansion tank.

H.

I thought that as the water in the rad was heated and expanded it would vent into the expansion tank, and as the rad cooled it would suck the water back into the rad as it created a vacum.

I would imagine the the expansion tank also needs to be at the right height in relation to the rad.

I thought that as the water in the rad was heated and expanded it would vent into the expansion tank, and as the rad cooled it would suck the water back into the rad as it created a vacum.

I would imagine the the expansion tank also needs to be at the right height in relation to the rad.

Granted, but if water is lost from the main system you can't create a vacuum. You would expect gravity to put the water back into the system but the expansion tank is only 3/4 of the way up the system.

H.

Some aftermarket caps don't allow the coolant to be sucked back from the expansion tank properly, the return valve is incorrectly set. I would wager you have a none OE cap on it? If you are building a race engine you are better off running a big header tank, as a closed circuit system, with a bleed pipe off the system back to the header tank, and a stiff cap pressure. Be aware running higher coolant pressures can find weak spots like old heater matrices, not that a race car would have one.

Check the rubber seal inside your rad cap, i had this problem and tried lots of different thing (move res tank, new piping, etc) until it was noticed the rubber seal was to small and not giving a full seal :(

Old inner tube and new seal was fitted, works perfect now ;)

I've got a PWR rad with the cap supplied with it, red lever type, odd size though, tried a Stant and i was wrong size. I've got a PWR dealership close by but as yet i've not tried them for a new cap.

I think people are missing the point here, the rad will only suck water back into itself from the exp tank that it has expelled into that tank, if JP has lost water from the rad it will not suck from the exp tank, does that make sense??? Bit how a re breather in diving works.