The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SZ-R 6 Speed

Dan_Turism0

Hi guys,

i'm looking for a SZ-R supra which must have the 6speed box.

Basics behind the project will be to run the car as a n/a and buy a GTE lump and strip and rebuild it myself with uprated goodies along the way (which will hopefully reduce the amount of time the car is off the road) before dropping the GTE lump into the car.

I appreciate SZ-R's with the 6spd are rare as hens teeth but if anyone has one coming up for sale or spots one let me know

Thanks guys

Dan

yeh been to view a RSP one today which turned out to be a dog, will put a post in the chat section to let people know about it though. I would have had to put about £2k into it to bring it up to scratch, bodywork was in poor condition, heavy wheel wobble above 40mph, someone had jacked the car up on the sill bending it and the chassis rail was rusted through at the rear, all in all just a no go.

But thanks for keeping a eye out :)

yeh been to view a RSP one today which turned out to be a dog, will put a post in the chat section to let people know about it though. I would have had to put about £2k into it to bring it up to scratch, bodywork was in poor condition, heavy wheel wobble above 40mph, someone had jacked the car up on the sill bending it and the chassis rail was rusted through at the rear, all in all just a no go.

But thanks for keeping a eye out :)

This is the problem with older cars. Getting one that has been cherished is hard, lots of miles and lots of money unless you are lucky to find a local one.

We have just picked up a 54 plate Celica 140 for £4K with a genuine 61K miles on the clock. Needed a little bit of tidying up body wise but nothing major. Intertior was spotless. Test drive seemed ok but the wheels needed balancing at higher speeds. Bought the car as everything else was fine, went to balance the wheels to find that 4 of the 5 wheels are slightly buckled and won't balance up. FFS..!!

H.

exactly mate as this is my first supra i don't want to buy a dog and be put off for life :) so better to walk away than to get stung, there was also very little documents about the car and only 1 about import which wasn't helpful either.

Minor bodywork points I could deal with but something major like it had obviously had a front end shunt at some point as the radiator had been changed, coupled with the chassis rail being rusted, you add everything up and it's just not worth the risk

Will keep my eyes peeled though and will see if Jurgen has anything coming in that he knows of too

exactly mate as this is my first supra i don't want to buy a dog and be put off for life :) so better to walk away than to get stung, there was also very little documents about the car and only 1 about import which wasn't helpful either.

Minor bodywork points I could deal with but something major like it had obviously had a front end shunt at some point as the radiator had been changed, coupled with the chassis rail being rusted, you add everything up and it's just not worth the risk

Will keep my eyes peeled though and will see if Jurgen has anything coming in that he knows of too

Maybe worth paying a little more for a fresh import. I got mine from Jurgen and anything needs doing he will sort it.

This is mine.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1774/p1000282n.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5056/p1000283y.jpg

I paid £8500 for a TT tiptronic. They are still going for the same prices a year later.

H.

Maybe worth paying a little more for a fresh import. I got mine from Jurgen and anything needs doing he will sort it.

This is mine.

I paid £8500 for a TT tiptronic. They are still going for the same prices a year later.

H.

wow that is a nice car..

Dan we can help you find a clean SZ-R 6 from japan but the YEN makes imports a bit more expensive than UK ones..

the PLUS things are

- lower miles

- can be first owner

- most are still restricted to 112mph

- we fully check and test drive and sort any issues on arrival.

- we will try to supply as mint as possible..

we can promise it will be the best possible example for the money..

This is mine.

H.

Wow that is stunning although I want the 6 spd box as I don't think the tiptronic will cope with my project goal ;)

wow that is a nice car..

Dan we can help you find a clean SZ-R 6 from japan but the YEN makes imports a bit more expensive than UK ones..

the PLUS things are

- lower miles

- can be first owner

- most are still restricted to 112mph

- we fully check and test drive and sort any issues on arrival.

- we will try to supply as mint as possible..

we can promise it will be the best possible example for the money..

Hi Jurgen,

I'll drop you a email to save cluttering this thread and we will talk and see if we can come up with something :) thanks for your help

Yep that was the one, wheels are horrible imo but that's a easy fix unfortunately i can't say the same about the rest of the car (despite the advert looking clean)

The Good :

- Engine pulled well

- Gearbox was solid and all gears flowed smoothly

The Bad :

- bodywork in terrible condition (heavily scratched and dented)

- car has had a front end collision which was apparent

- n/s front wing didn't line up with headlight

- n/s headlight was old and peeling, o/s had recently been replaced

- there was overspray on the horns again clarifying the front end shunt and also indicating a shoddy respray as the bumper was sprayed on the car

- o/s rear quarter had been poorly blown in (paint was hazy and significant orange peel going on)

- rear bumper was not original

- fog light had been poorly fitted (a section the size of a import number plate had been cut out to fit the fog light and then bodywork and number plate were one piece that I could pull off and get my hand in behind)

- engine bay rails were not lining up

- radiator had been recently replaced

- car had been jacked up on the sill bending it and nowhere near the jacking point

- sills had become extremely rusty and was flaking at the touch

- rear chassis rail was rotting through and you could push your finger through it on the o/s

- very little paperwork and next to no documents on the import or mileage when it was imported + converted into miles (so true mileage isn't known)

- severe wheel wobble above 40mph (this could just be wheel balancing however with the other signs of a accident I'm not taking that risk)

- engine wiring loom had been completely butchered

- both recaro seat bolsters had dropped

All this starts to add up but I roughly calculated you would need to spend around £2k to get everything sorted (this presuming the wheel wobble is nothing more serious), personally if it were me i'd break the car and sell the gearbox + engine.

Ouch........

Thanks for the info mate! :thumbs:

No problems :) I would rather people be aware of it than be like me and drive 3 and a half hours there to see a dog and be disappointed lol :( and as it's my first supra the last thing I want to do is buy one with problems and then find more once i've got it on ramps and then end up selling it making a loss and be put off for life....guess sometimes you just have to listen to your head and not your heart...does suck though :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.