The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Laptop advice please?

JamieP

I would look at HP's in my experince far better quality parts are used in them than most other makes,1 bit of advice on performance is depending on how much storage you need ssd drives are the way to go Ive fitted loads now , in my personal laptop I got around another 40mins of battery life and boot up and loading apps time is a loads faster they can be expensive for a true large GB ssd .The new hybrid ssd drives are out now they are optional extras on most laptops as the same as the true ssd but its worth a look though it still has moving parts a motor arm etc but will have a ssd of around 20gb which it will load the most stuff you use onto that so the mechincal drive only gets used for stuff you use less .

Could always get a decent laptop, don't worry too much about storage then get a NAS box. Put it on your network and save wirelessly :0) that's my next purchase.

I have an iPad but unless you jailbreak it you are stuck without flash support. I bought my Acer Aspire 8920G about 2 years ago, freaking brilliant. You could always check eBay for one bet they are going cheap, good spec as well.

Jamie is not part of our geek fraternity so I doubt the implementation of a NAS box on a wireless network is going to be a goer.

Jamie, see if anybody local can help out to choose one, or if not then I will give you a hand to find something.

Thinking of getting a laptop with SSD myself/... currently have HP Pavilion dv6 and it generates so much heat and battery lasts 5 seconds...

Then quite frankly it's running too much, or running lean on memory and also the battery's knackered to boot.

SSD will help, but if you're swapping lots out of main storage you're going to seriously lessen the life of an SSD (Don't plan to keep beyond 3-4 years an SSD drive). Saying that, for laptops and most desktops having an SSD in for your boot/OS drive will be the highest bang for your buck compared to CPU / Memory / GPU upgrades at the moment. Yes it will extend battery life but quite frankly it sounds like yours is knackered rather than having an excessive draw on it.

You should see the price of enterprise 300Gb SSDs... it made my eyes water.