The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Laptop advice please?

JamieP

I dont have a clue with this stuff, ive been using a toshiba satellite pro for the last 3 years and its been good to me but now getting very tired, battery has had it and the charger is playing up now so i fancy a nice new laptop.

Needs to be 17" screen and decent memory size, budget is £800 tops but rather £600.

Something from the likes of pc world would be good so i can walk in the tomorrow and grab one.

Cheers for any help.

I dont have a clue with this stuff, ive been using a toshiba satellite pro for the last 3 years and its been good to me but now getting very tired, battery has had it and the charger is playing up now so i fancy a nice new laptop.

Needs to be 17" screen and decent memory size, budget is £800 tops but rather £600.

Something from the likes of pc world would be good so i can walk in the tomorrow and grab one.

Cheers for any help.

£600 is a fantastic budget for a laptop Jamie. Is it work related with casual gaming? If you are looking to play some relatively high end games (laptop high end) then the £800 budget might be better but if it's mostly for office, internet, home type stuff then £600 will easily cover it.

What about a laptop with a slightly smaller screen and a standalone screen.

The LG 21" monitors are around £120 at the moment, and you could get a nice laptop for the remaining budget?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/133-asus-u31jg-rx092x-core-i5-480m-4gb-500gb-hdmi-webcam-card-reader-bluetooth-w7pro-64bit

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/22-iiyama-ple2208hdd-b-black-full-hd-widescreen-monitor-5ms-1920x1080-100001-hdcp

Top end of the budget but this seems to be a decent laptop though I am an Apple fan so I maybe wrong :).

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-np-rc710-s02uk-17-3-laptop-black-silver-09785397-pdt.html

I do know though their is no point in going for an i7 processor unless your doing big video editing at a professional level.

Thats the one i was thinking of but wanted to spend less really.

£600 is a fantastic budget for a laptop Jamie. Is it work related with casual gaming? If you are looking to play some relatively high end games (laptop high end) then the £800 budget might be better but if it's mostly for office, internet, home type stuff then £600 will easily cover it.

Its just for surfing the net mate and storing my pictures/videos

What about a laptop with a slightly smaller screen and a standalone screen.

The LG 21" monitors are around £120 at the moment, and you could get a nice laptop for the remaining budget?

Ive got a decent desktop Gav, like a laptop for when on the couch or in bed.

Jen bought this one a couple of weeks back (liked the colour), it seems to do everything well and at a reasonable speed for the money

She uses it like you do by the sounds of it, sat on the couch, stores music, watches the odd vid, Facebook and general interweb browsing

It's know world better but is suffient for what she needs, good memory and quick enough

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-3100sa-15-6-laptop-red-08702331-pdt.html

Sorry just seen you wanted 17" screen

I got this one from Pc world a few weeks back, Its a bit of a beast and only £500 there. Its ideal for doing lots of things at once and its HD (smaller than 17" though, Just sit closer)

Acer Aspire 5750 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor, 4 GB RAM , 500 GB HDD, DVD-Super Multi DL drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-i7-2630QM-Processor-RAM-HDD/dp/B004VE733S/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1306785074&sr=1-1

Ive got a packard bell. Has been great so far. All I use it for is the forum and pictures etc. Just looking at the Pc world site they have one with 4 meg ram and 500gb hard drive for 311 quid. But it's delivery only and refurbished. I can't find any new ones lol

Like this. There is one with a gig more ram for 50quid more. http://mobile.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-PACKARD-BELL-TM81-RB-023UK-Laptop/686077

I hate PC World - its the last place I would spend my money. Comet or John Lewis would be much better.

Personally am an Apple user myself (use a Macbook Pro 15") which is great and can even run windows better than other machines on the market :)

Always bear in mind with a Mac that if it goes wrong then 90% of the geeks on the forum wouldnt be able to fix it.

I can make any PC work if it fails, I can usually work through corrupted OS installs and recover everything. Give me a Mac and I would not have a clue. Worth bearing in mind if you need it fixed.

And I agree, John Lewis is the place to go for laptops, they will price match any local shop and usually give a 5 year warranty for free. The hard part is deciding what laptop to get. Acer laptops have come on a long way, Sony laptops are a little over priced now, but if I had to choose I would probably go Toshiba or Compaq or HP.

I can check Which.co.uk for their choice of lappies if you want, or if you can find COmputer Shopper they always have a section on best laptop buys.

If you need help then there are enough people on here who can find you the right laptop at the right price.

the Acer Aspire 9815 is also 20" :)

I have an Acer 6930 that I've had for over 2 years. It plays World of Warcraft quite nicely and has a 500gb HDD. I have recently had a desktop built especially to play WoW (sad I know) but I used the laptop for 2 years and it was fine. Only thing that I was disappointed with was sound so I used external speakers.

Thought about an iPad? I am using mine right now, it's perfect for surfing & storing pictures/video's.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/

They're amazing for web browsing on the sofa / in bed, HOWEVER the lack of flash support is very annoying, especially if. You watch a lot of videos. I'd say I can't view circa 50% of videos posted on the forum on it.