The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

all done, now ready for paint... just waiting for it to get a little warmer..! how's Yankee style coming along? havent seen an update for a while!

Good progress then mate, how long til you think bedore its finito

Should look awesome when its done

Yeah ive lagged behind on it tbh but Ive fully stripped the engine bay ready for painting the bay done the filler work, ive still the door shuts etc to prep but only a few hours work, front bumper should be finished soon,

but thats about it ive lost the enthusiasim at the minute, but it will come back over the coming weeks hopefully :) ive got some updates to do on the project,

How i feel at the minute i wish i had left it the way it was lol :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update, finished respraying the car yesterday, first real warm day... I think it looks ok, I'll be sanding her down today and polishing her throughout the week in time for the NE meet at Fosta place next Sunday.

Also resprayed the interior panels which look better and the after next Sunday, Twins will be coming off and on will go my single :-)

On the look out for a boost controller.

• 3 weeks later...

So the supra’s has been through its full respray and I think it looks pretty good, I’ve got a photo from when I first got it, to what I originally went for and to finally as it is now.

A lot of time spent in the garage, but I think it was worth it.

So last night, decided its single time and have started to strip her down.

Water drained from the radiator and oil drained as well.

Started stripping the air pressure pipe, it was pretty easy getting the pipework off, (just takes time) except the water pipe at the back which was very hard to get to, needed to strip all water pipes off completely.

Heat shield off, lambda sensor taken out and then I’m into the turbos, I wd40 all the bolts that attached to the block and managed last night to get all except the two underneath, which are a bugger to get to, I’m going to have to jack the car up and try and get at them from underneath why oh why do they need to make it so difficult to get them off!

I'll hopefully have it completely stripped by bed time tonight.

Oh and yes that is a baby monitor in one of the pictures :innocent:

old old.jpg

old car.jpg

car now.jpg

engine 1.jpg

engine 2.jpg

engine 3.jpg

engine 4.jpg

engine 5.jpg

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

I finally got the old twins and manifolds off, two solid nights in the garage trying to undo bolts that have been on the engine for 20 years and god some of them are in extremely difficult places to get to! I've used nearly a full tin of wd40.

I struggled to get the units off as a whole so I decided to brake the job down into taking off the two turbos first, disconnecting all the oil feeds and water pipes, it really isn't a simple job, make sure you've got all the tools before you start.

I unscrewed all the bolts and disconnected the turbos exhausts from the manifold... And once the turbos exhaust came away I could finally get access to the bolts on the manifold.

With the turbo and manifold off I could disconnect the oil lines that are attached to the block, some off the old rubber pipes were so brittle they snapped in my hand. I plugged up some of the unused water pipes with bolts and clamps one under the water pump and one at the tri connection pipe at the back. I then rerouted the two pipes at the front top of the water pump back on each other and job done.

Test fitted the new turbo to see what it looked like, disconnected some of the intercooler pipe work ( need to order some new silicone connectors. )

BUT here is my question..... I've worked out where all the oil feeds go, but I can't work out the water pipes... You see in the last picture the tri connected water pipe at the bottom photo, I think should go into the water pipe at the top which comes out of the bulkhead.... But where does the other water pipe next to it go??? Help please....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So Turbo, is now fully attached with high pressure oil feed attached (thanks Hodgy for the nipple that I needed to attached it to the block, perfect fit) and the lower drain for the return feed. I ordered a couple of large silicone hose and now my intercooler piping all goes together. Excellent!

i just need to get hold of a short length 12mm bolt to stick in the old oil feed as I only need one now.

So just need to connect the downpipe to the exhaust and I think I may need to extend the current Lambda sensor as it currently doesn't reach the downpipe.

I've also got all my toys now, AEM Wideband, Apexi Boost gauge and a Greddy profec b II to install (this is the bit I hate - I hate wiring, does my head in) any voluteers haha.

I've ordered some more silicone thin pipe for all the boost sensors, hopefully they'll be here by the weekend.

so time is getting close to starting her up... :thumbs:

photo 1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Guest cobra07

All i can say is WELL done :thumbs:. You stuck to your guns and done it YOUR way. . Great feeling doing something yourself and it turning out great.

Great checking in on your progress so keep it going ;)

All i can say is WELL done :thumbs:. You stuck to your guns and done it YOUR way. . Great feeling doing something yourself and it turning out great.

Great checking in on your progress so keep it going ;)

thanks Mate,

I've also just got hold of a TRD wing and another Front Bumper (this will be my 4th - I can't make up my mind) from Carbon Bullet (which my wife kindly went to oxford to pick up).

I've attached a couple of pictures of my new TRD wing and also new front bumper, I think i'll get them in the shed this weekend for painting.

The wing is in great condition, I just need to do a little tidying of the front bumper before I'll be finished with it.

I've also bought a new lambda sensor (with a screwfitting - NA one is a bolt on version) as I think the car will struggle to work out everything if I havent got it attached.

however, I think it'll struggle to fit in the downpipe as it looks like it'll clash with the manifold. so I'll need to do some fabrication on the downpipe to allow me to attach the sensor at a different angle.

I also bought some new coilpack connectors as the old ones were starting to crumble in my hand... for anyone thats thinking of doing it its a pretty straightforward job, the first connector took me about 15 mins to work out, but after you get the knack the last one i did in about 30 seconds flat - there is also a good guide on this site on how to do this.

photo 11.jpg

photo 12.jpg

photo 13.jpg

photo 14.jpg

photo 15.jpg

Have to say great read, car is looking awesome now mate well done.

thanks Mate, appreciate your feedback - get yourself down to the club meet on a Wedneday - check out the North east notice board.

Update

Well the good news is that I managed to fire the motor over the weekend with a little help from John (Hodge).Big thanks :thumbs: John very kindly offered to come and give it a quick once over, before I fired her up, just to make sure that everything was connected up right. Here’s me thinking that he would turn up and say “yep all looks good to me” and I would turn the key and hey presto she purrs like a dream..! god I was wrong.

First things first.. John’s first reaction when he saw my turbo was to burst out laughing and saying how small my turbo is….haha, that’s only cause his is probably the biggest in the club. (lucky g*t!) Mines….. well its proportioned! J I think John was also very impressed at how tidy my garage is with tools so easily accessible… not!

I started taking him through what I had done, but (and I should have known, knowing the pristine engine bay that he has) it was all wrong… wires not going properly into the firewall, badly placed earths, cable not wrapped properly, no heat wrap, Oil return pipes to long, water pipes need to be reduced in length, I don’t run aircon so why are all the pipes and wiring still there… BoV sensor is too long, AEM gauge had no power (fixed now), gasket on the turbo needs replacing, need to put factory OEM gaskets back on Manifold, need to titanium heat wrap the manifold etc etc …I think you get the gist…

So I have now got another list that I needs to go through to make sure that the whole set up is spot on. It is a great to hear from someone else that you shouldn’t cut corners as it makes you realise that if you’re going to do it right it’s worth spending the extra time getting it right!

So I’ve ordered all the new requirements, but it mean taking off all the turbo again…argh bugger.

Loom Tape

Heat tape

Toyota red coolant

Thermo sleeve

OEM gaskets

Titanium Wrap

Water temp gauge

battery

Oh and some proper tools !! J

But we did manage to fire her up, primed the turbo, jumped the battery and to start with she ran very rich and lumpy… we even thought there might be a missfire or a head gasket L loads of black smoke. Not good… Turned her off.

However John cast his eyes over the motor and found a connector next to the water pump not connected, this would tell the ecu how much fuel to put in when cold… plugged it back in restarted her and ohhh so much better! (Jesus… she’s now loud…)

But back to the drawing board, lots of disassembly work to do first. And lots of jobs and then hopefully (in a couple of weeks) I’ll be able to turn her over again.. think I’ll try and get the SAFC wired in at the same time. (for some reason I just hate soldering).

Quick photo of my engine bay now,

Thanks John for casting your eyes over it. Great club spirit.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Its taken a little time as I've been busy with work, but got all the parts ordered and in that time decided that I'd prefer a SAFC2 over the v1 that I already have and so I bought one.... just waiting for it to arrive.

So jobs I did:

I drained the oil and coolant from the engine and pulled the turbo and manifold off the block (again), stripped down the turbo so I could get at the bolts on the manifold and managed to get them apart, there was a couple of gaskets between the turbo/ manifold and one side had blown out completely, so this is where my leak (black smoke) was coming from.

I took the manifold into the house (amazingly my wife let me) and started wrapping it in Titanium wrap, I'm pretty happy with the result and should keep the temperatures around the brake cylinder area cooler than before. Since I was replacing the oil (again), I purchased a nice K&N oil filer and also got some NGK copper spark plugs as the platinum one I had were fouled.

So with a new gasket fitted to the turbo (and OEM ones against the block) and Toyota red coolant now sitting in the radiator, I replaced the cheap Lambda sensor I had in the downpipe for a OEM Denso one - so now...I think I'm nearly ready to fire her up again. But I'm away for 5-6 days so probably won't be until next Thursday/Friday.

I'm hoping the SAFC2 will turn up in that time as I'd like to get that wired in straight away as I know I'm going to be running rich again. and once shes up and running I'm going to need to take it for a map on a dyno, anyone know the best one to go to in the NE?

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg