The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So what would cause a stock rod to snap.

hodge

Would you say it was high horse power or increased rev limits that force the rods to snap.

Now I know that anywhere around 800hp the rod bolts become the weak point. But what about the rods. How much will they take before breaking.

What are your opinions

I tell you what though, when it first happened the engine knocked like mad, i drove all the way home from thunder road and just as i got home the knocking went away, i drove that car like a loon on the way to lee's to pull the engine and it was faultless, no smoke, no noise and felt as fast as it ever was, all with a twisted/bent rod.

This was the run i did it on.

I tell you what though, when it first happened the engine knocked like mad, i drove all the way home from thunder road and just as i got home the knocking went away, i drove that car like a loon on the way to lee's to pull the engine and it was faultless, no smoke, no noise and felt as fast as it ever was, all with a twisted/bent rod.

i wasnt a member when you did that by the looks of things,my god its amazing how such a part can bend like that! good work j :cool:

What sort of rev limit was that Jamie. I'm just trying to get my head around reasons for failer.

Now I've fitted ARP bolts and studs throughout my engine. I'm just wondering how much abuse the rods and pistons themselves will take before the rod snaps.

So any idea what actually caused that Jamie? You did a good job. What turbo and what boost?

No idea, some claimed hydro lock, some say over stressed, im going with over stressed, we checked the logs and there was no sign of a misfire or anything, even in the video it looks faultless.

Billet 6765 at 2bar, it made 730bhp at 1.8bar so im guessing it was running about 750 odd, only thing is we never realised till after that the boost was still capped to 1.3bar in top gear, we set it up like that ages ago to help save the engine and forgot about it, when it let go id say it was probs about 600bhp at 1.3bar.

there is a trend coming here hate to say it but 3 of the big boys have had trouble jamie,jamesy, now hodge what the hell is going on

No, no mate. No trouble I'm just wanting to have peoples opinions on this that's all.

Although I am prepared to be a guinea pig to see what happens if I max it out.

No, no mate. No trouble I'm just wanting to have peoples opinions on this that's all.

thank god for that then i thought it had happened. rather you then me being the guinea pig on this one mate, you take having to rebuild so very well.

Just go for it mate, cap the boost in 5th/6th and it will have more chance of lasting id say.

Well Ryan has put 800HP in my head now. So that's what I'm going to aim for. If all goes well tomorrow, he is mapping the car to a bar of boost. I'll put some miles on it over the summer and maybe later in the year I'll get it on a hub dyno n max it out to whatever he can do with it. I've got a spare bare shortblock in the shed I'll build up in the mean time just incase or when it goes bang.

thank god for that then i thought it had happened. rather you then me being the guinea pig on this one mate, you take having to rebuild so very well.

It's all a part of the fun mate. I'll save a lot on cost because I'll do it myself.

Guest jaredb-123

I would say Reving , i cap mine at 7500 , boost will lift ur head l19s will sort that one out . I believe the rod bolts are the weak link . Some of my mates make 812wrhp on a stock bottom end , gas motorsports made a 1000hp ona bottom end . More than anything u will experience valve float on your stock head . This is using toluline mix , good luck :)

I would say Reving , i cap mine at 7500 , boost will lift ur head l19s will sort that one out . I believe the rod bolts are the weak link . Some of my mates make 812wrhp on a stock bottom end , gas motorsports made a 1000hp ona bottom end . More than anything u will experience valve float on your stock head . This is using toluline mix , good luck :)

By valve float do you mean the valves not closing quick enough. Before it's Dyno'd I'm going to fit some duel valve springs and titanium retainers.

The head is ported and polished and currently fitted with 264 cams for now.

Guest jaredb-123

Yeah mate , you should see that power then , just be mindful now that u have larger cams and if the timming belt tensoner snaps it could damge ur engine , titan offer a billet timming belt tensioner .