The mkiv Supra Owners Club

National Mileage Register - How Reliable?

Havard

Cheers Abz.

It was a nice car and a shame that it had a black mark against it's name. The easiest thing for me to do on Saturday was to walk away and try and find another car with the same condition and mileage. This would not be easy judging by two of the three I have viewed in the last week. A few phone calls and the information from the current keeper has changed everything. I am kind of surprised how easy it was to make HPi and the NMR to see sense. The NMR admitted that a lot of the information they recieve is "guess work"...:blink:

Personally I think the system is a bit of a joke. You could just ring up the NMR and claim you were looking at a car, make up the mileage and cock up the car on a future HPI check. It's a great way of getting a better deal or upsetting your enemies who have their car up for sale.

H.

That is shocking! :blink:

Did they ask you for any documentation or anything or was this all changed over the phone?

That is shocking! :blink:

Did they ask you for any documentation or anything or was this all changed over the phone?

I didn't prove who I was. You can just ring them as Joe Public and tell them that a car has a certain mileage and they will log it. This then crops up on a HPi check.

You then as the owner of the vehicle have to prove otherwise. If you don't keep your MOT's and receipts then you are fooked basically. Luckily with the Celica the existing owner can prove the mileage at the time the error has taken place. If the error had been 6 months earlier he would have struggled to sell the car.

I am glad now that we have followed this through because god knows how many cars we would have viewed and how many miles we would have clocked up finding a similar car.

H.