The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Syvecs data logs

Chris Wilson

I would like to have a look at a few Syvecs engine data logs, can anyone post some screenshots, or links to log files please? I am slowly coming round to having a play with a Syvecs or Life ECU. Does the Life ecu produce exactly comparable log files to the Syvecs? Can you input a Syvecs engine map into a Life ECU?

Here's a screenshot of my RB26DETT log from Oulton last Wednesday. A log showing similar parameters would be great. Thanks

Don't you use data logging Wez? One issue with the Motec is if I log a lot of stuff I only get about 20 minutes logging. Without adding a Motec dash I don't think there's a way to add more logging memory to the ecu than the 2 megs it already has.

I have done in the past but dont have any logs with me sadly.

Don't you use data logging Wez? One issue with the Motec is if I log a lot of stuff I only get about 20 minutes logging. Without adding a Motec dash I don't think there's a way to add more logging memory to the ecu than the 2 megs it already has.

You can do this by adding on an external data logger with an ECU interface. The race technology DL1 springs to mind with their ECU interface - works out about £650+VAT which is considerably cheaper than a Motec dash! Plus you get a GPS to do track mapping, timing etc. There are some restrictions on what parameters are carried across on the ECU interface though, you can't log everything.

Here is one from Stuarts drag car when it ran a 9 sec flat. Got loads more but this one is amusing to look at how fast it picks up speed.

Its only a short one though as the logs are pulled straight after a run.

The S6gp has 1mb of internal datalogging, the M600 only has 512kb so thats will be why you cant log for long.

The S8c which is our top ecu has 8mb of internal logging which will store data for nearly half a Lemans race and to this date i cant find an ecu that comes even close for the cost.

9 second flat 157mph.zip

I would like to have a look at a few Syvecs engine data logs, can anyone post some screenshots, or links to log files please? I am slowly coming round to having a play with a Syvecs or Life ECU. Does the Life ecu produce exactly comparable log files to the Syvecs? Can you input a Syvecs engine map into a Life ECU?

Here's a screenshot of my RB26DETT log from Oulton last Wednesday. A log showing similar parameters would be great. Thanks

Must feel nice now at that boost :)

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that engine runs a lot of oil pressure :) 140 PSI ! am impressed by the sheer flexibility of this software, I am beginning to slowly find my way around a bit.

Now, I have got an RPM trace, and an engine oil pressure trace up. I have altered the scaling for OP to reading PSI. How do I get the different Y axes to show at the same time, or the graphs to display in two windows, each with relevant x and y axes showing please?

Am i reading that graph correctly cause i see revs as high as 9800 :blink:

No, you're reading it wrong. The RPM is shown on the orange trace. (It's highlighted on the left hand channel pane.) The max revs are 8445.

Wow, that engine runs a lot of oil pressure :) 140 PSI ! am impressed by the sheer flexibility of this software, I am beginning to slowly find my way around a bit.

Now, I have got an RPM trace, and an engine oil pressure trace up. I have altered the scaling for OP to reading PSI. How do I get the different Y axes to show at the same time, or the graphs to display in two windows, each with relevant x and y axes showing please?

Chris, here's a quick "how to"... (I'll try to add some screen grabs when I get a chance).

1. Open SVIEW.

2. Select a logfile by clicking "FILE/LOAD", then navigate to the logfile. (The extension for logfiles is .SD)

3. The logfile will load into SVIEW. The default worksheet will be loaded. Unless you have created a custom worksheet, this will be blank. On the right hand pane you will see all of the available channels that have been logged.

4. To display a logged channel you can select the channel from the right hand pane by double clicking on it, or you can select "CHANNEL/ADD" from the toolbar and choose the channel to add from the pop-up window.

5. To change the scale of the channel you can right click the channel on the right hand pane and select SCALE, or you can select "CHANNEL/SCALE" from the toolbar. A pop-up window will appear with several scale options. Auto scale, Default scale, Set scale and Remember current scale. To set a specific scale, choose set scale then enter min and max values in the pop-up window.

6. To change the units of the selected channel you can right click the channel on the right hand pane and select CHANGE UNITS, or you can select "CHANNEL/CHANGE UNITS" from the toolbar. You can then select appropriate units from the pop-up window.

7. To display two or line graphs at the same time, select "GRAPH/ADD" from the toolbar. This will add another line graph to which you can display channels. To switch between graphs simply left click in the graph.

8. To display an XY plot, select "REPORT/XY PLOT" from the toolbar. A pop up graph will appear. To select channels, click on X unassigned and choose a channel. Then select Y unassigned and choose a channel to plot against the X channel. If you like you can also choose a "Z" channel that you can use to colour the points on the plot. To pin the graph to the background select "dock".

9. To save your graph set-up select "WORKSHEET/NEW". Enter a suitable name in the pop-up window and hit return. You can then select the worksheet by selecting "WORKSHEET/(NAME OF WORKSHEET).

Hopefully that covers some of the basics. There's lots and lots more that it can do, and the maths channels in particular are incredibly powerful but the vast majority of the battle is knowing what is relevant data to look at. That's where data analysts really come into their own!

Hope that helps.

With only 0.5Mb of memory you must be logging at quite a low frequency to get 20 minutes! With the 1Mb in the S6 I still only get something like 5 minutes of logging.

That's one of the reasons why I'm upgrading to an 8Mb S8, well that plus I've maxed out the I/O on the S6, although to be fair with the sensor list I would like, I'd also max out the S8 too. (No Ryan, I'm not going to get another S8 and link them together!)

If you're purely looking at datalogging, then a bespoke logger would be more suitable than cramming everything onto the ECU. Pi research sell the Sigma lightweight logging box and lightweight junction box which will give you 128Mb of memory and something like 32 input channels, and the Toolbox software that comes with them is class leading. The only problem is you could probably buy two S8 ecus and still have £5k in your pocket over the Pi kit. (I bought a I/O expander from them a few weeks ago that cost £10k! Although it does allow me to log 1000 channels at 20KHz)

Another option is the Race Technology DL1 as you should be able to log anything you want to pump out over the CAN bus while it also has it's own sensor inputs plus it can receive data from the dash as well ;)

Good question, some Motec ecu's have half a meg as standard. One meg as an optional extra. M880 has 2 meg. Seems a bit paltry, not sure why this is, whether there are technical reasons, or whether they are purely fiscal, I have no idea.

I know, it does seem crazy which the price of memory these days you would expect more but I assume its due to the limitations of the architecture :(

I have the question on the Motec forums :)

The data log Ryan posted shows nearly 3.4 bar boost, blimey :) Must be 2.4 bar gauge pressure, surely?? Not sure how to tell from the units.

Yeah that will be 2.4 bar, my dash2 reads the same. 250= 1.5bar

The data log Ryan posted shows nearly 3.4 bar boost, blimey :) Must be 2.4 bar gauge pressure, surely?? Not sure how to tell from the units.

Its in mBar so 1000 would be roughly atmospheric with everything below as vac, 2000 is 1bar, 3000 2bar and so on, so yes this was roughly 2.4bar boost :D

I think it's largely because traditionally you would use a seperate data logging system, or in a track/race environment you would use telemetry and store the data off of the car.

I also think it's because when you're mapping an engine you don't necessarily need that much memory because the dyno pulls are only a minute or two long. It's only boffins like us that actively monitor what the car is doing after it's been mapped. Most people would be happy with a gauge or a light that turns on when something goes awry.

Also remember that even the very top of the range that Motec and Syvecs has a target market and they have a target budget.

http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Products.asp?subtype=Control&type=Units&id=87

Edited by TLicense (see edit history)

Here are some captures from the DL1 analysis software, this shows a mixture of data received from the ECU via CAN bus, the internal GPS sensors and aux inputs from the DASH2 via serial ;)

Not too bad, a 1min laptime at Brands on Falken 452s :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=134036&d=1307107020

attachment.php?attachmentid=134037&d=1307107020

attachment.php?attachmentid=134038&d=1307107020

Cap001s.jpg

Cap002s.jpg

Cap003s.jpg

Oohhhh, now that's what I like to see! :)

I can see that you're fairly consistent on how much load you're putting through the tyres in the corner. Seem to be pulling about 1g.

You need to work on braking though. You pull 1g going into Graham Hill, but only 0.8g braking into Paddock and even less into Surtees and Clearways. If you can pull 1g under brakes when going downhill into Graham Hill bend, you should easily be able to do it everywhere else!

What was your quickest laptime on the R888s? With the data you have it's possible to work out the fastest theoretical lap your car will do in that setup... ;)