The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch and flywheel options for BPU 6 speed

Guest Budz86

Guest Budz86

Just after some opinions on this really, sorry if it's been covered before! I'm BPU at the moment, car is an import so only running 1.2 bar max boost. Stock clutch is on it's way out (bite point is high and slips under high boost/speeds, but seems to be fine on normal driving at the moment). Having spoken to a few people some are saying to go with an aftermarket clutch such as RPS, Competition or Southbend and others are saying the stock Toyota one will be ok.

I get that an aftermarket one would be a good way to 'future-proof' the car and means if I go small single at a later date it will still be able to handle the power (depending on the setup I were to choose). Also, BPU power would not come close to the power an aftermarket clutch could handle, so it would never be strained. Thing is I have no plans to go single as I'm happy with BPU, plus the car is a daily driver so I want as close to stock as I can get without spending mega money. I will probably run it at the pod when we have the club day out this year, but that's the heaviest use it will get.

Having looked at a few prices the RPS they are the best part of £600 for the kit - not sure if you can get just the plate on it’s own and use it with the stock 6 speed cover and release bearing. Having spoken to Steven Manley at Toyota he can get me a stock clutch with cover and release bearing delivered for less than £350.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Budz86 (see edit history)

If you want to go the aftermarket route don't what ever you do get an RPS clutch. I had one and it was shit the bite point was far to low and had problems getting it into gear and it rattled like mad. I now have a compeition clutch stage 4-6 puck. Just fitted it this weekend and I'm well pleased with it. It's a little heavier then stock but no way near as heavy as the RPS one I had. It's a bit jumpy on the start of it you don't give it revs but I think it will get better as the clutch beds in. The only problem I would say there was with the compeition clutch is that you need one of the flywheels to. Something to do with the clearance of the clutch plate. I'm bpu but looking to go single in the future so hence why I have got this one. I have heard good things about southbend to I was going to get one but as someone said on hear if there is a problem they are not in this country and compeition is. But I would personally stay away from RPS in my opinion!

Guest Budz86
If you want to go the aftermarket route don't what ever you do get an RPS clutch. I had one and it was shit the bite point was far to low and had problems getting it into gear and it rattled like mad. I now have a compeition clutch stage 4-6 puck. Just fitted it this weekend and I'm well pleased with it. It's a little heavier then stock but no way near as heavy as the RPS one I had. It's a bit jumpy on the start of it you don't give it revs but I think it will get better as the clutch beds in. The only problem I would say there was with the compeition clutch is that you need one of the flywheels to. Something to do with the clearance of the clutch plate. I'm bpu but looking to go single in the future so hence why I have got this one. I have heard good things about southbend to I was going to get one but as someone said on hear if there is a problem they are not in this country and compeition is. But I would personally stay away from RPS in my opinion!

I have heard this about the RPS clutches and to be honest, I don't want the rattle's etc. Also with the bite being quite low and possibly jumpy it just wouldn't be the best option for a daily. Didn't know that with the competition ones you need one of their flywheels, this further increase's the cost and probably rules it out for me personally.

Nic, thanks for the heads up about the TRD clutch plate and cover. Would the TRD plate fit with the standard cover and release bearing? And do you have any idea how much power the TRD plate can handle?

Nic, thanks for the heads up about the TRD clutch plate and cover. Would the TRD plate fit with the standard cover and release bearing? And do you have any idea how much power the TRD plate can handle?

Yes the TRD clutch disc will fit with the stock cover and release bearing. Not sure what the upper hp limit is but the TRD parts will definitely handle BPU hp levels.

Guest Budz86

Thanks Nic, just speaking to Steve and he reckons they are discontinued! Not sure where else I can get one, any ideas??

Had a RPS street with stock flywheel on my dialy driver for 5 years and 40K miles in London (20K BPU, 20K 560bhp). Now have a Southbend DXD 3 clutch and wish I had stayed RPS.

Speak to Whifbitz on here, in hindsight I should have gone with him.

imi

Guest Budz86

I was going to say where did you get it from but you're in Japan! Can't really wait for it to ship.

Does anyone know where I can get one in the UK? I'm probably swaying towards stock to be honest because of price, reliability and aftersales service (if that makes sense).

Any more opinions....?

I was going to say where did you get it from but you're in Japan! Can't really wait for it to ship.

Does anyone know where I can get one in the UK? I'm probably swaying towards stock to be honest because of price, reliability and aftersales service (if that makes sense).

Any more opinions....?

Yeah man, in Japan, bought direct from TRD..

There is stock of the clutch, there should be a supply in the UK?

I think we spoke on the phone, but here is all the info on my clutch upgrade kit:

I use the stock, brand new driven plate, as it is correctly

balanced, doesn't judder and will hold all but mega torque

highly modded engines or cars used for drag racing.

I modify a stock brand new cover to give more clamping force.

The reason I tooled up to do these is some of the aftermarket

US clutches I have fitted SEEM to be built from used cover

assemblies with reground friction surfaces, and a stronger

spring. I have had hellish trouble getting these to fully

release, because due to this seemingly thinner cast iron

friction face, the geometry of the clutch goes to pot, and

being a pull type clutch (the hydraulics pull the bearing

away from the engine, rather than the more normal push type)

it is a lot harder to effect a cure.

For 455 pounds plus VAT , you get a brand new driven

plate, a brand new modded cover, and a brand new release

bearing. I would rather fit myself so any complaints are down

to me, I see a lot of clutches damaged by people without the right gear

(a ramp and transmission jack, plus correct circlip tools and fitment)

or clutches fitted to patently *uggered flywheels. I will do a supply

only if you feel competent to tackle the job or are using a bona fide garage to

fit the clutch

Toyota use a dual mass flywheel (the flywheel is in 2 parts, an inner and

outer assembly, damped in the middle) which is now showing signs

of wear causing a lot of rattle when idling or on very light

throttle openings. For God knows what reason they are charging

about £270 + VAT for a new one, they look more like they should be

over 500 to me, but don't say anything :-) The very similar LUK dual

mass flywheel on Maseratis is nearly £1000 + VAT.... So if the flywheels

old enough or abused enough to be scored it should be replaced.

Fitting by myself will cost £175 + VAT.

Reply privately if interested please. [email protected]

Thanks.

No, not at all. You need a twin or triple plate to handle that sort of torque. I run a triple plate OS Giken in my Skyline. Won't last well as a road clutch though, metallic plate clutches do not like being slipped in traffic, on hills et cetera.

I have a Southbend DXD stage 3 and hate it - not one that I would ever recommend to anyone. It sometimes judders at the biting point and was an absolute pain to install (changing slave cylinders to smaller piston ones, etc).

What would you recommend for a daily driver (London Driving)?

I have a Southbend DXD stage 3 and hate it - not one that I would ever recommend to anyone. It sometimes judders at the biting point and was an absolute pain to install (changing slave cylinders to smaller piston ones, etc).

What would you recommend for a daily driver (London Driving)?

What happened to the RPS Imi? I'm still running that and it's fine, did your's wear out eventually?