The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin Bosch 044 pumps over heating fuel!

JamieP

All the pump wiring was upgraded on my car a while back, I imagine rickys is the same, I drove it yesterday for a couple of hours and all was fine, I'm confident soon as we stage my pumps I won't have an issue again, just waiting on Lee to get me in to swap it round, then I can go for the high boost mapping.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed the injectors in Ricky's yesterday and had it running almost 2 hours and the afr's didn't change. Turned it off a couple of times so it could heat soak a bit. This caused the afrs to drop a tiny bit after start up but then they returned to normal once the cooler fuel got into the rail.

While the car was hot I put the old injectors back in and swapped the map back over. It started and idled at 14 as it should for about 10-15mins then started to drop. By 30mins it was off the scale lean.

This seems to indicate that the injectors are at fault so will change them and get Ryan to map it properly and see where we are.

Fitting any larger or more powerful fuel pumps is very likely to overload the stock wiring , the supply fuse is 30 amp , this then feeds the EFI relay and on to the fuel pump ECU then on to the pump (stock system) adding a much larger load such as 2 pumps to the stock old wiring is likely to fail quickly , you could easy be drawing 40 amps on pump start on cables rated far under this , and have many connections to cause volts drops , these will heat and increase resistance ,thus increasing volts drop over time

The result is the pumps drawing far too much current , low life for the pumps and ever degrading wiring and EFI relay

The relay shoud not be running at it full rating the contacts will degrade fast ,it needs a bigger relay ,the FP ecu was not designed for increased current it too needs bypassing , cables should be circa 6 guage cables and high quality (low volts drop) , it should be through a separate cable from Battery(fused) to new relay , and direct to pump(s)

Given the large amount spent of engines ,tuning ,etc , seems daft to risk it all for a few quids worth of cable and a relay

I ran a separate 80 amp relay for each 044 pump, and a direct battery feed to them, on hefty cabling with Raychem connectors. Being electronically "challenged" I am glad I read the above, I think it should be OK, even by your high standards ;)

Changed the injectors in Ricky's yesterday and had it running almost 2 hours and the afr's didn't change. Turned it off a couple of times so it could heat soak a bit. This caused the afrs to drop a tiny bit after start up but then they returned to normal once the cooler fuel got into the rail.

While the car was hot I put the old injectors back in and swapped the map back over. It started and idled at 14 as it should for about 10-15mins then started to drop. By 30mins it was off the scale lean.

This seems to indicate that the injectors are at fault so will change them and get Ryan to map it properly and see where we are.

I just hope injector clinic will respond to my emails, not looking good that as they soon stopped replying when I told them about the problem.

Nice one Lee - good news (hopefully Ricky)

I hope if it was the injectors its just a bad batch and they're not all screwed as ive just bought Dave's 2150's off him!!!!

I hope if it was the injectors its just a bad batch and they're not all screwed as ive just bought Dave's 2150's off him!!!!

You should be fine with them, i hear the id2000's are infact fic 2150's, just flow matched ones.

Ive got a long day out booked for the car next week (santapod and back for a mag photoshoot) and we dont have time get everything done for then and remapped, ive suggested to simply put one of the pumps on a switch for now so i can switch it off for when cruising or in traffic, be interesting to see what happens and i will know for sure if its twin pump related.

You should be fine with them, i hear the id2000's are infact fic 2150's, just flow matched ones.

Ive got a long day out booked for the car next week (santapod and back for a mag photoshoot) and we dont have time get everything done for then and remapped, ive suggested to simply put one of the pumps on a switch for now so i can switch it off for when cruising or in traffic, be interesting to see what happens and i will know for sure if its twin pump related.

Yeah spot on mate the 2150's are the same as the id2000 which is a result.

Good luck on the shoot ;)

Hope so mate. A set of ID's are in the motor waaahhhhhhooooo just need to get it over to Ryan fir him to do his magic and get it running better.

Just a little note, if someone did not know.. Running any wire from the battery through the car and you will need to place a fuse very close to the battery, since any break on the cable and there is no fuse, can cause a fire, shortcircut ect.

I picked the car up tonight from SRD with the new ID2000's in.

Lee managed to get the car running and driveable with help from Ryan over the phone, its a little lumpy on idle but gets better while driving. It drove well on the way home and I hit traffic stopping and starting and it sat between mid 13's and high 14's.

Its all booked in with Ryan next thursday to look at the fuelling and timing.

Cheers to Lee giving up his time and his efforts with changing bits at a time, and to Ryan for your help over the phone, if I had listened to you all those weeks ago when you said it was the injectors I could of had it sorted and enjoyed it earlier.

I think rickys 1680's was bosch Chris.

http://www.racecomponentsinc.com/Bosch_Fuel_Inj-High_Impedance_1680cc_Bosch_Fuel_Injector.html

Sorry for the hijack but im just wondering how much fuel the black beast destroyed in a 5 hour journey ?

Depends how i drive, ive only tested once on the way back from srd, mostly motorway and not going mad it used 15 litres in 70miles.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Looks like my problem is fixed an all.

I left the house at 6:30 this morning, did 240miles and got caught in M25 traffic twice and its been faultless.

If you are planning to fit twin in tank 044's and you do a lot of miles like me, stage the pumps and you wont have a problem.