The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch Release Bearing

Stratty

I am getting a really load screach from my clutch every time I pull away from the line or change gear when slowing down.

I have been told that it might be the release bearing.

The bearing was changed when I had my NA-TT transplant done at the time a Competition Stage 4 clutch was put in.

My question is, are there different release bearings for different transmissions or are they all the same?

Many thanks. ;)

Guest topdog849

if you hear it with your foot depressed on the clutch then it's the release bearing, if u hear it with foot off the clutch it's the pilot bearing. but by the time you take everything apart you mine aswell get a clutch kit and replace everything. if you do remember to use white lithium grease and not wheel bearing grease because I learned the hard way that it will also make some whine screech noise

Thanks guys.

I will replace both the release and pilot bearings if need be.

The screech is when I am releasing the clutch pedal. It doesnt screech when the foot is off the pedal.

As per my original post, do I need a specific bearing for my transmission or are they all the same?

yes mine is a noise when i move off its horrible bare in mind my clutch has been in 1 or 2 month so practically brand new !!!! its when your moving of clutch is almost off then uuuurrrrrrhrhhhhh its a weird noise real head turner you can avoid it by slightly riding the clutch

• 2 years later...
I am getting a really load screach from my clutch every time I pull away from the line or change gear when slowing down.

I have been told that it might be the release bearing.

The bearing was changed when I had my NA-TT transplant done at the time a Competition Stage 4 clutch was put in

Hey pal did you get this sorted? I'm getting the same noise with my spec 3 clutch!

if you do remember to use white lithium grease and not wheel bearing grease because I learned the hard way that it will also make some whine screech noise

Hmmm looks like I made the same mistake could this be what's causing the awful screeching noise? And is there away I could grease it up without removing the gearbox??

If they are cerametallic plates they are probably knackered. They scream when the cintering is gone, or they are warped. Cerametallic clutches, and in particular puck types, are not ideal for road usage, they don't like being slipped at all. Clutch release bearings are sealed units, adding grease externally doesn't make any difference to their internal lubrication.

Sorry I should have been more clear, the clutch has only done 500miles. a couple of things worth mentioning when I fitted it.. The fidenza flywheel I didn't replace the insert which I probably should have, I used multi purpose bearing grease on the splines and release bearing but not on the clutch fork as Iv now read I should have done! Plus should have used white lithium grease?

I only here it screech when pulling away in 1st gear?

My Competition Clutch Stage 5 squeals when I pull off and the release bearing is noisy. Only done 1200 miles on it but I'm going for a different clutch entirely now. Being a stage 5 4 puck clutch it's a real pig to drive :(

Mines like a caliper seized on the brake disc noise.. But Iv just refurb'd all four to find it wasn't the cause!

What clutch are you going for? I chose the wrong clutch and it's now on its limit at 370ftlb

Mines like a caliper seized on the brake disc noise.. But Iv just refurb'd all four to find it wasn't the cause!

What clutch are you going for? I chose the wrong clutch and it's now on its limit at 370ftlb

RPS Max Clutch with Street Disc as found on MVP's website.. http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=780&SearchYN=N

Although it won't be coming from MVP I doubt as it's too expensive to ship over here.