The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Holiday in States - Orlando - who's been?

ozz

Just to make a change from the usual find me a car thread, I thought I'd enlist help choosing a holiday. I'm married but as we have lots of animals I can't travel easily with wife so it will be me and my bro. I travel a lot on business but thats always booked for me and I only see offices, pubs and airports the majority of the time so I've no idea how to put together my own holiday!

Places I've been with work: Brazil (Rio), most of Europe, Canada. So, America is looking favourite as I've never been there.

What we like: Seaworld and Universal studios so I guess Orlando, good pubs (not necessarily night clubs), some beach time maybe or happy with mountains.

So...if we consider the states should I go for a package deal (any good suppliers?), fly/drive seems like fun though concerned about avoiding drink driving. I guess 8 days would be good duration.

Any other must-see sights in Orlando area we should consider? Or fly somewhere else?

I really haven't a clue, I never holiday but want to make the most of it so advice appreciated! also, best time of year?

Thread title changed for more focus.

We always go with Virgin and if you like the parks then 8 days won't be enough time

Busch Gardens is another park to go to, Discovery Cove makes for a great day and a bit more restful, also try and see the Blue Man Show at Universal, Cape Canaveral NASA

To be honest with have been 10 times and still find new things to do

yeah there is way too much to talk about. you wont get any mountains (or much scenery or that matter) as florida is as flat as a pancake!. coco beach is where we usualy go for the beach, its right near cape canaveral, and an hour or so from orlando. the beach we were on you could see the launch pad from, the beaches on the other side of florida are good too but ive never been.

we have family there are go every year. and got back from there last week. 8 days is nowhere near enough at all. 12 days is pushing it!

considering if you do disney, epcot, holywood studios, universal studios, islands of adventure, seaworld, a water park (i like typhoon lagoon for the big wave but there are 3 others!) thats 7 parks. discovery cove. bush gardens, cape canaveral are all full day things, if you do them in detail its one per day if you have kids. so thats 10 days right there. then there is gatorland which is worth a visit. downtown disney is a good place to go in the evening. as is old town in kissime, especialy the car cruise nights!

the blue man group is an amazing show as mentioned. i would definately recomend it, and its great if you dont understand english :p

regarding places to eat. id always recomend making the most of whats on offer! different place each night. if you see an "orlando ale house" check it out, its a sports bar/resteraunt. good food in there! Bahama breeze is good but a little more pricey. next to universal there is a place called margaritaville, its owned by a singer from florida called jimmy buffet. he is a legend :) and cool music. hard rock is great too. olive garden is yummy and you cane beat a dennys! but there are so manu places to eat your spoilt for choice. there is a great mexican place on idrive i think its called don pablos. the outback stake house gave me a great oakwood cooked teriaki steak last time.

I will say though that if you are staying on or near "i-Drive" your in for a wait if you just rock up to a resteraunt at normal times of the day. its a busy area, we went to olive garden and it was a 20 min wait to get a table. so went to one down the road instead that wasnt in as such a busy area :).

if you want to take a couple of hours drive go up to st-augusteen and spend a few days there. its one of the oldest towns in the usa. some interesting history. take the hop on and off trolley tour (green and white one)

I was working out in Orlando a few months back and the weather was stunning! :cool:

Loads to do, I'd recommend going for 10 days at least (worth it considering the flight is 8/10 hours).

The main attractions are the sea life centre, but I'd highly recommend seeing the NASA launch station.

If you do a package holiday it can sometimes be easier for you, then everyone is sorted by one person\company.

good stuff

Thanks Guigsy (and all). My geography sucks, i was thinking 3-4 days doing some parks then drive to mountains for a few days and go mountain biking. I guess lots more research needed.

Abz - sea life centre - is that the same as seaworld? I love aquariums and zoos. Don't like rides.

Thanks Guigsy (and all). My geography sucks, i was thinking 3-4 days doing some parks then drive to mountains for a few days and go mountain biking. I guess lots more research needed.

Abz - sea life centre - is that the same as seaworld? I love aquariums and zoos. Don't like rides.

Seaworld is great! Kraken is a big (FUN!!!) rollercoaster but they have "Journey to Atlantis" or maybe just "Atlantis" which is a water ride but you don't get that wet.

Been to Orlando twice and loved it both times (I was about 12 the first time and about 16 the second time). Mainly did the tourist attractions (Disney World, Seaworld, that kind of stuff). We stayed on International Drive the first time and just off it (2 minutes) the second time.

Disney Boardwalk is a must at night :)

Seaworld is great! Kraken is a big (FUN!!!) rollercoaster but they have "Journey to Atlantis" or maybe just "Atlantis" which is a water ride but you don't get that wet.

Been to Orlando twice and loved it both times (I was about 12 the first time and about 16 the second time). Mainly did the tourist attractions (Disney World, Seaworld, that kind of stuff). We stayed on International Drive the first time and just off it (2 minutes) the second time.

Disney Boardwalk is a must at night :)

They have a new one called manta that's even better. 2 of the best rides in orlando IMO

They have a new one called manta that's even better. 2 of the best rides in orlando IMO

Ooo cool. I hated rides the first time I went but when we got back, we went to Alton Towers and my brother forced me on Nemesis and I loved it. When we went back the second time I went on all of them.

There was no queue (well maybe 10 people) for Kraken for an hour when we got there and we went on it about 5 or 6 times in a row just round and round. Love it :)

My home away from home!

Beaches are overrated when you have 3 good water parks with man made ones on hand. I cant stress how great this hoilday is. 8 days really isnt doing it justice you simply have to do disneys parks.

I would suggest a 14 night trip, 7 days outside disney on I drive (doing sea world ect) Then move into disney itself for 7 days, using disneys buses to get around takes the stress out of everything and you are treated very well when booking dinners, fireworks ect.

I need to go back asap, i could go on and on about it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Ive been 4 times in the last 5 years, only stopping for the birth of my son, and we are going back in two years time.

regarding places to eat. id always recomend making the most of whats on offer! different place each night. if you see an "orlando ale house" check it out, its a sports bar/resteraunt. good food in there! Bahama breeze is good but a little more pricey.

Probably my favourite restaurant in the world, I love this place. Managed three visits last time I was there. Cocktails and a massive stack of coconut batter onion rings FTW :D

Try and get to Bush Gardens if you can, it's ace.

I thought this was one of the best parks in Orlando, plenty or roller-coasters and wildlife, definitely worth a visit.:thumbs:

And as previously mentioned Old Town Kissimmee on a Saturday night for the Old Town Cruise, loads of American muscle cars to see. :cool:

I love Florida, I've been 3 times as a kid and 3 times with my missus (and even got engaged and married there too!), I am biased towards Disney though.... whilst the Universal parks and Seaworld are still awesome parks, we do spend more time at Disney. You're gonna be hard pushed to fit it all in as others have said.... we still do new stuff each year and we've had a total of 7 weeks there already in the past 3 years

Busch Gardens has some awesome coasters (Montu is prob my favourite I've ever been on) there are some more crazy coasters at Universal Islands of Adventure, and Disney has more family type coasters, if that's your thing. We tend to spend more time just enjoying the scenery so to speak as we like that sort of thing. I'd seriously recommend you spending a few quid on some guide books - the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld and the Unofficial Guide to Beyond Disney (both by Bob Sehlinger et al), they are my bible when it comes to planning my trips.

As stated above, needs a minimum of 2 weeks i'd say. You GOT to get around all the places. Again, Busch Gardens is fantastic but never got to go on that huge roller coaster as there was lightning within 10 miles! :( . All the other parks are amazing too. Don't ever feel like you need to be a kid to do them as its so not true. It's the best place i've ever been to. We got caught in a couple of thunder storms, proper loud...:eek:

My Father in Law has a villa out there, can send you the website if you are interested.. When we went, we paid for flights, and hired a car then drove from Miami airport (What a shit hole! It ain't like what you see on the TV!). Racked up about 2000 miles in 2 weeks. Stupidly cheap fuel too so didn't cost much at all..