The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PC recommendations

Jellybean

Lol each to there own, you get a lot more for your money with AMD then you do with Intel

You don't though. The modern day intels literally blow AMD out of the water. You could have argued the case years back that a £200 AMD processor was as good/better than a £200 intel but certainly not now. The i core processors are absolutely mindblowing, especially with the new architecture and onboard gfx etc.

You don't though. The modern day intels literally blow AMD out of the water. You could have argued the case years back that a £200 AMD processor was as good/better than a £200 intel but certainly not now. The i core processors are absolutely mindblowing, especially with the new architecture and onboard gfx etc.

Intel it is so

I thought the AMD was better than the i7 at, winrar compressions, 64 bit applications, video editing. OK the i7 kicks the the x6 at gaming but not all games

Not sure where you are looking but.....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2960/10

Although that is the x4 ;)

Not sure how up to date this is...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

And last but not least

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/461/AMD_Phenom_II_X6_1090T_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-2600K.html

lol will dig some of the graphs out later think i got them from toms hardware but not sure. but i remember the AMD was ahead of the i7 when it came to 64 bit applications. I don't think AMD users and Intel users will every agree. if i was buying a gaming PC then yeah i would get a i7 but for everything else AMD :) but thats just me

lol will dig some of the graphs out later think i got them from toms hardware but not sure. but i remember the AMD was ahead of the i7 when it came to 64 bit applications. I don't think AMD users and Intel users will every agree. if i was buying a gaming PC then yeah i would get a i7 but for everything else AMD :) but thats just me

I'm sitting here with a rusty old core2duo but it has been fantastic. I switched to AMD during the rebranded PIII P4 days, they were the one to go for at the time, not now though. There just isn't enough of a saving to be had IMO.

I'm not a pro Intel or an Anti AMD guy, I just go with what is the best IMO and IMO the intel is leagues ahead. AMD seem to want to throw cores at stuff now.

Thats a neat trick, they have installed Open Office and AVG without an OS :lol:

:D

I know this is a dead thread but just wanted to say, Sub £500 build then you may want to consider an AMD based build, anything more and you are shooting yourself in the foot by not choosing a second Generation Intel Core i3,i5 or i7.

A little overview on the new second generation Core i Range: Sandy Bridge Gaming PC

Gaming performance it does not make too much of a difference, but take a look at the photoshop benchmarks.......

What model i7 CPU did you get? :)

Trying to get the spec off my dad, it is for him. I gave him the basics of what you guys where saying here, of course he went off and just bought it without letting me see the spec ha ha like a true man

Best of building one yourself or getting someone to do it. I built mine recently and for the money it does everything I need. I use it mainly for games, this spec cost me about £800

Intel I5 2500k

Asus p67 board

xfc ati radeon 6970 2gb gpu

8gb xms3 ddr ram

antec 300 case

xgimatek 700w psu

Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler

22"viewsonic monitor

Runs every single game i've tried, including crysis 1 +2 at maximum settings getting an average of over 50fps

Highly recommend the I5 2500k, offers the best bang for buck at the moment

I think it was along the lines of this

•6GB DDR3 Memory

•Intel i7 930 2.80 Ghz Processor ( 4 Cores )

•250 Gigabyte Sata Hard Disk

•Surround Sound On Board

•1GB Nvidia Geforce 210 Silent

•6 High Speed USB Ports to Rear

•2 High Speed USB Ports to Front

•Firewire IEE1394 to Rear

•eSata Connector to Rear

•400 Watt ATX Power Supply

•Asus P6T X58 Motherboard

I think it was along the lines of this

•6GB DDR3 Memory

•Intel i7 930 2.80 Ghz Processor ( 4 Cores )

•250 Gigabyte Sata Hard Disk

•Surround Sound On Board

•1GB Nvidia Geforce 210 Silent

•6 High Speed USB Ports to Rear

•2 High Speed USB Ports to Front

•Firewire IEE1394 to Rear

•eSata Connector to Rear

•400 Watt ATX Power Supply

•Asus P6T X58 Motherboard

Oooops!

You have a first generation Core i7 CPU along with the X58 chipset, in short the old one! For less money you could of had a a second generation Core i7 (LGA 1155) CPU which would have been faster and more future proof.

That being said, the 1366 range is still very powerful and is going to last you quite sometime, its just a shame you missed out on the new ones :(

Oooops!

You have a first generation Core i7 CPU along with the X58 chipset, in short the old one! For less money you could of had a a second generation Core i7 (LGA 1155) CPU which would have been faster and more future proof.

That being said, the 1366 range is still very powerful and is going to last you quite sometime, its just a shame you missed out on the new ones :(

Still waiting on the spec off my dad not too sure what he bought, he just went off and bought it. I want to run it by you guys first but my dad never told me he was buying it straight away, I taught I had till the weekend at least ;) ah well

I presume it was something similar to this

I see the one you are talking about here

http://www.custompc.ie/intel-i7-extreme---1155-series-updated-may-2011-47996-p.asp

Heres the Spec Daman, I am not too happy with it but dad never told me before he bought it. they are giving him a HDMI screen with a graphics card that does not have a HDMI connection, hard disk is crap size, dont know why people ask me these things and then just go off and buy what they want in anyway

Description: Intel Core i7 Worksation Value Series - Octigen Midi

Tower 8810

Processor CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66 Ghz 4 Cores

Memory: 4GB DDR3 Dual Chanel

Hard Disk 1: 250 Gigabyte Sata Hard Disk

Hard Disk 2: Optional Extra

Optical Drive 1: High Speed DVD Rewriter

Optical Drive 2: Optional Extra

Video Graphics Card: NVS 290 256MB

TV Card: Optional Extra

Networking {Broadband}: Gigabit Ethernet OnBoard

Sound Card: OnBoard Sound