The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Female Boxers

Supra-Woman

As some may already know, I took up boxing about this time last year, albeit not to have bouts etc, just for fitness.

I usually get mocked at work about it and even had my partners family make joke of it. I know that to look at me you would think boxing is the last thing I would do, but I really enjoy it.

I started off training with the younger boxers but felt a lil out of place so asked if the club would consider doing a womens class, which was quite successful to begin with but I soon got fed up of other women fussing over their nails, hair, make up and the constant winging, so I decided to join the mens class which is brilliant

But after a comment made by my Boss about I shouldn't be allowed to do it because i am female :rolleyes: I thought this would make quite an interesting topic to discuss.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and regardless of what others may think I will continue to box because after joining a gym, circuit training & even trying boxercise this is the one thing I enjoy and actually getting quite good at (I have a mean left hook so I am told, tehe)

I can't see anything wrong with it myself as long as it is kept to training. I think it would be wrong if you were actually having fights as it would be a mismatch just as it would when men are mismatched in fights.

I say if you enjoy it thats all that matter

Good for you! I'm not that keen on the consequences of any fighting sport (be that boxing, MMA etc.) where the object is to cause brain injury, however brief.. but the discipline, work ethic and commitment required in training are worth their weight in gold. The fact that you're female is irrelevant, as there are very few good reasons you can't train as much or as hard as the men.

Being a girly is irrelevant IMO. Some very dated views being shown from the people around you.

Come to think about it, they might be a little intimidated to be honest. Not by you, as such, but the idea of you (a woman) doing boxing (manly men do boxing) when they themselves don't do/haven't done that sort of thing.

Hahahaha, I will put the kettle on if you make it the tea? Always one for compromise, then I'll hit you, lol.

Fair enough, no punching below your own waist, or I'll get hit in the face - and that's the money shot for me, so go easy

women can do anything i man can do :)

iPod

iPhone

iMac

iMan

I see.

to the OP:

Mr Miyagi put it best....

if you walk left side of road .... safe

if you walk right side of road .... safe

if you walk in middle sooner or later get squish just like grape ....

Translated: if you genuinely believe you can mix it with the hardest lad there (your weight class) go for it ! :) if not DON'T !

If you go for it good luck and give em hell !

HTH

In the years I did Kyokushin kaikan (full contact karate) we had 5 female members. Beside the breastprotector they were treated like the men.

It is strange to treat the females different, it is not like all the men are at the same level or have the same fysique... We had guys weighing 120lbs and some 220+

@Supra-Woman::urock:

@The people who are joking about you taking up boxing... well...:muahaha:

Who cares, just do your thing, its your life!

Dennis

However i would not really like of idea of sparring with a female (in a boxing ring) - She would batter the life out of me, naturally.

Some of the guys won't spar with me which I kinda understand they may feel uncomfortable with the idea, but those that do, I really appreciate it, sparing isn't about trying to hurt one another it is to help improve technique etc.

Some of the guys won't spar with me which I kinda understand they may feel uncomfortable with the idea, but those that do, I really appreciate it, sparing isn't about trying to hurt one another it is to help improve technique etc.

You cant expect a man to spar with a women, thats just unfair on the male unless its a real amature male and experienced female. Some unexperienced women dont like sparing or even being on the pads with a male, which I can understand as I dont hit as hard if I have a female training with me.

But there is no problem with women boxing, I have women boxing at my boxing club. On the pads, bags and defensive training some women are really good and majority are just as good as the men.

I tell you what, there is an experienced female at my club which i wouldnt even want to spar with and im no amature.. ive been boxing about 2 years and have had a few bouts but this women is something else... never lost a fight after 4 years. You wouldnt want to get in a ring with her.

TL:DR - Do what you want and forget about what everyone else says.

As some may already know, I took up boxing about this time last year, albeit not to have bouts etc, just for fitness.

I usually get mocked at work about it and even had my partners family make joke of it. I know that to look at me you would think boxing is the last thing I would do, but I really enjoy it.

I started off training with the younger boxers but felt a lil out of place so asked if the club would consider doing a womens class, which was quite successful to begin with but I soon got fed up of other women fussing over their nails, hair, make up and the constant winging, so I decided to join the mens class which is brilliant

But after a comment made by my Boss about I shouldn't be allowed to do it because i am female :rolleyes: I thought this would make quite an interesting topic to discuss.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and regardless of what others may think I will continue to box because after joining a gym, circuit training & even trying boxercise this is the one thing I enjoy and actually getting quite good at (I have a mean left hook so I am told, tehe)

just ignore them, some years back my mam used to box and even turned pro ! she was really good. shes had me in to boxing and martial arts since i was 8 yrs old and i love it. if you want to box thats your decision and nobody's business, if it weren't for my mam i wouldnt of won any titles etc, she pushed me and used to come and watch me bashing blokes when i was 17 lol, so anything is achieveable if you get your head down and troop on. ive been doing mma for around 4 and a half years now and when i cant train, she takes me on the pads and pushes me lol. just go for it and dont look back !!

You cant expect a man to spar with a women, thats just unfair on the male unless its a real amature male and experienced female.

I don't expect the men to spar with me, hence why I appreciate those that do because I find it a great help as you can only get so much from pads and the bags, when you have punches thrown at you, you soon learn to expect the unexpected and to guard yourself and seek opportunities to throw them back.

I don't expect the men to spar with me, hence why I appreciate those that do because I find it a great help as you can only get so much from pads and the bags, when you have punches thrown at you, you soon learn to expect the unexpected and to guard yourself and seek opportunities to throw them back.

I know what you mean (about the pads/bags): there's no substitute for a live opponent throwing some quick or unexpected shots at you.

By all means practise with men in the ring, but they wont go full on 100% against you. I feel bad hitting pads hard when a women is calling.

But then some women im actually afraid of lol.

All depends on experience, keep up the boxing and in a years time you might be sparing with men full on.