The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insidious - The Movie

Scott

Just watched this movie.... the first horror movie to actually have me on edge for many many years. Ok, so it hasn't got the best plot or acting, and a lot of the ideas are taken from many other popular movies (The Poltergeist, Amityville Horror), but the mood of the entire movie is fantastic. Scared my Wife witless, to the point she almost refused to watch the rest, and it really raised my heart rate.

If you enjoy getting scared during a movie then this is definitely one to watch. Certainly up there as one of the scariest films I have ever watched.

Oh, the makers of Paranormal Activity were involved in this one, and you can see that in parts. It aint no Paranormal Activity though, this is a FAR better movie.

This is one of the only movies I have watched the trailer to and thought, "That might be a bit too much for me". That's very odd to hear that from me since I like a good horror here and there.

Paranormal Activity, IMO was a bit crap. Not scary, just boring.

Thanks for the review Scott, sounds interesting, like Attero mentioned I found Paranormal Activity quite bland and boring with just a few things moving around in the house. I couldn't quite get into the film, it did have a couple of jumpy bits though. Might go and watch this one, though doubt the wife would come. I just about got her to watch The Righteous, and thankfully for her that wasn't scary at all.

This is one of the only movies I have watched the trailer to and thought, "That might be a bit too much for me". That's very odd to hear that from me since I like a good horror here and there.

Paranormal Activity, IMO was a bit crap. Not scary, just boring.

Yup, I didn't think much of PA either, or the 2nd one for that matter. But you can see the similarities in the way the movie has been filmed. More to do with the look, filters etc than anything to do with the storyline/plot.

It's seriously scary, right up there IMO.

Did you not think it went from Insidious to (mildly) hilarious before winding up somewhat ridiculous?

It did, but I think it was deliberately like that (ok really I just hope it was). The lead up to the end was very strange, but it was almost like a shout out to The Poltergiest (as I mentioned earlier). The last 10-15 mins I felt were also very rushed, if you look past at the fact it was incredibly strange, I didn't really follow the thinking of the storyline during those scenes but I still enjoyed it anyway. If I hadn't seen those movies I would probably have wondered wtf was going on due to the careless nature the movie took that direction.

The movie went from ghostly chiller to horror fantasy in one fell swoop, and it ain't going to be winning any oscars, but I thought the movie as a whole was very very scary (compared to the modern day stuff) and it held up well enough to be enjoyed on a whole. There really aren't a lot of horrors out there that are good stand alone movies, I'm a horror fan and whilst I always like to be scared during a movie there aren't a lot that I could say are really good well thought out movies. This is one of those non-so well thought out movies with a bit of a bite.

I'll definitely watch it again in a few years to come anyway. Overall I enjoyed it :)

Ill have to give this a watch. Has enyone seen .Rec? Spanish zombie/horror film.

Yeah, it's like watching the teletubbies compared to this :p

I preferred the Spanish one though (I watched both as I read it was better). They say a lot is lost in translation, but even more is lost in the American Ham translation :D