The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Idea for trip to Nurburgring next summer?

AJI

1. AJI

2. kopite

3. MrAngry

4. boneyard

5. SteveR

6. Ian R

7. JohnK

8. John_M

9. CJ

10. Martin R

11. Carlos_Hathcock (Andy)

12. supraloopy(not sure though keep us posted)

13. Gaz @ Envy

14. Dane_stone (Dean)

15. Jspec Germany (Mike)

16. Salvatore (worked out how to do it now!)

17. Robsheffield

18. cornimac

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about cars with kits i can potentially see cars getting damage on the ferry if this is not the case i may be interested
Just been Dover to Calais and back on P&O Ferries. When you get in the lanes to wait for loading you want to find the person in charge of loading and let them know about you're low bumper/skirts and they can adjust the loading ramps to suit. P&O really looked after me on my trip and would think that if a group of like cars were travelling together there would be no problem at all. However might be an idea to let then know when booking as they may have to allow room in the cargo decks.

None of the ramps or bumps were big enough to cause any problems when we went over. The loading stewards were very alert and were watching all of our cars for clearance.

Anyway.... next year if prices are right I'm thinking of taking the tunnel. But if they don't drop to a decent level then it will be the ferry again. For £90 return you can't go wrong.

1. AJI

2. kopite

3. MrAngry

4. boneyard

5. SteveR

6. Ian R

7. JohnK

8. John_M

9. CJ

10. Martin R

13. Gaz @ Envy

14. Dane_stone (Dean)

15. Jspec Germany (Mike)

17. Robsheffield

18. cornimac

19. Shovels

This thread at the moment is just to gauge interest.

Hopefully in a couple of months time I will post up some possible plans for the trip but at the moment I'm hoping that those who have put their names down will be serious about going.

As already mentioned I will probably be asking for a deposit to commit to the event. I will source out a few hotels as the list may not accomodate everyone in the same place. (There are loads within a few kilometres of the 'ring').

And then it will be up to yourselves to phone up and make your booking... the same will go for the ferry (or tunnel) what ever the plans turn out to be.

I will keep you all posted.

Sounds sweet AJI, the Nurburgring is definitely on my 'to do' list so I am pretty certain I'll be coming. Even if I do end up just bumbling round and taking it steady cos I'm scared of binning it, it's still got to be done IMHO :)

• 3 months later...

There you go Suprahuman. Man I hope this happens. It would be awesome if this many ended up going.

1. AJI

2. kopite

3. MrAngry

4. boneyard

5. SteveR

6. Ian R

7. JohnK

8. John_M

9. CJ

10. Martin R

13. Gaz @ Envy

14. Dane_stone (Dean)

15. Jspec Germany (Mike)

17. Robsheffield

18. cornimac

19. Shovels

20. Suprahuman

21. Supragold

As winter is setting in I guess it is time to start thinking about next year's activities and developing this trip to the 'ring.

(nicely reminded Steve R ! LOL hadn't been in this section of the forum for a few days)

I'm thinking of late May 2006 for the date .... I'm awaiting an email reply from the guys over there in Germany to release next years open dates.

Will propose a date as soon as I have confirmed open days.

I'm also hoping by choosing May that the heat won't be too strong and also that this date doesn't clash with the other main UK events such as JAE, TOTB, etc. etc.

The trip will basically be in the following format:

The Friday - big meet up at Dover / ferry crossing / convoy trip to the 'ring / settle into accomodation / afternoon-evening play time on track (if you want)

The Saturday - you're basically free to do whatever you want... be it track action / sightseeing / spectating

The Sunday - complete repeat of Saturday except on Sunday afternoon there will be a big meet up at the Nordshleife car park for group photos etc.

The Monday - convoy trip back to England.

You are free to choose your own method of channel crossing but I'm guessing most will choose the Ferry as it is the cheapest at only £90 return.

(Also get enough time to have an hour's rest and some food).

It will be down to yourselves to sort out your Ferry tickets and also to sort out your hotel bookings. I will post up a selection of hotels in the area in due course.

Basically all I'm doing is laying out a plan proposal.... in the new year I will post up more detailed plan when I get the confirmed open dates etc.

If anybody has anything they would like to add please feel free to do so.

I,ll be up for this, Only got an N/A :blush: at the mo but thinking of a TT soon :clap: can you please add me to the list too AJI, Also have you thought of going with Norfolk ferrys from Dover to Dunkirk did that last year on the m/bike well looked after and was the cheapest too (at the time that is ) Went to Nurburge via France/Switzerland/Germany etc etc well you get the idea :p was a wicked atmosphere there lots of Hotels around the area too,

Cheers

Ian

1. AJI

2. kopite

3. MrAngry

4. boneyard

5. SteveR

6. Ian R

7. JohnK

8. John_M

9. CJ

10. Martin R

13. Gaz @ Envy

14. Dane_stone (Dean)

15. Jspec Germany (Mike)

17. Robsheffield

18. cornimac

19. Shovels

20. Suprahuman

21. Supragold

22. Shytot

If anybody has anything they would like to add please feel free to do so.

I do; thanks for organising this, it helps 'ring virgin (ooh-errr) like me have the courage to go for it, and with the excellent turn-out that's looking likely I'm already excited. :)

I've just got back today, and while the circuit is well worth a visit, it's not like a track day when it's open to the public. I only managed one lap without a yellow flag - mostly bikers and a stuffed Merc at the Karusell. When I say one lap, anyone who's done the public day will know this; you don't get a whole lap, and you don't get the straight! We queued 20 minutes to get off the track at the end of one lap - two lane queue half a mile long. I also met the legenday tourist coaches on the same lap as virtually race prepared Zakspeed Viper - not to mention the Ring-Taxis. If I were to go again, I'd try and find a track day - I think RMA run them. As for cost - I went on the tunnel for the same sort of money being quoted in this thread for P&O, stayed at the Dorint at the circuit - expensive but if you like racing stuff, worth a visit (F1 car in the bar). Add in Fuel from London, track fees, food, drink, souvenir stickers/T-shirts etc - no change out of £700. Cost in your tyres and brake pads...! :eek:

ps (edit) don't worry about the 95dBA noise limit - it only exists in writing.

Who cares about the straight, thats the most boring bit on the circuit! :)

How many laps did you do?

I found the stops etc a pain but we still managed to get loads of clear runs/laps in.

IMHO Its the best value 'track day' you can do anywhere.

Bobbeh

I think the problem we encountered was it being probably the last day before the winter and fantastic weather. Everybody in the world was there and I've seen the M25 with less traffic! I only did 5 laps... the track got shut for cleaning up and sometimes I just couldn't get out of the car park.

A Porsche club trip got there a while back to find the circuit closed due to a fatality, 3 hours later it re-opened and there was another fatality on lap 1 and the track closed for the day! A bit rough if you've driven 800 miles round trip and don't get on the track.

I'm not suggesting anybody should miss an opportunity to drive it, just trying to put a perspective on it for people who maybe only know the myth and legend of the place.

It would be a lot better if the bikes and cars were on at different times, and the coaches stayed in the car park!

To anybody reading this thread and thinking of going - my advice is go, but with an open mind.

I think it seems as though you had an unlucky visit to the 'ring. When myself and Bobbeh went last summer in the peak period, we also had red hot weather which brough out everybody and their grandmas out, and although there are some queues at some points in the day it didn't put a dampner on our visit.

There were also a few accidents on the track when we went... aparently there are accidents near enough every day which closes the track for half an hour or so, but when this happens it is a good excuse to go for a drive around the local area.... the scenery is amazing and there are loads of cafe's in and around the local towns and villages.

Although it would be a good idea to have only track worthy vehicles on the track which are going to be travelling at a fast enough speed, I found that the mixture of traffic and the mixture of speeds was a good enough challenge in itself.

I'm planning this trip for late May2006, this will hopefully be cooler and a bit quieter than the peak period we went in mid-late June.