The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wooden garages

neilp9876

Possibly one for jameyp but I am looking at building a double garage and a wooden one appears to be about a fifth the price of a brick one.

What do I need to be aware of with a wooden garage? Do they need a foundation? What doors can I use? I don't want a felt roof so what alternatives can I use? Anything else?

Cheers for any advice?

Loads of options, You can build it off a reinforced slab, use any doors you like, lots of options on the roof from corrugated sheets to full on tiling it.

I built this car port for a customer a few weeks ago, you would only have to feather edge the sides and fit some barn doors for a very cheap triple garage.

How about humidity in a wooden garage? I looked to build 3 garages last month but prices ...well i found them crazy but maybe it's just me. For 3 garages in bricks they'd charge me 6600€, and this is material only, no labour hours. For the 3 carports like on jamies picture above they'd charge me +- 2500€ just material again not even built. This is reasonable if you can do it yourself but it's still "open" so not really a garage and can't think it would be of any help in winter. Or does it? i have no experience with this and am very interested in building them.

I was thinking about a high sloped roof for aesthetics and using the loft for storage.

Would like to use real tiles but will check out the shingles.

Is a wood garage likely to be damper, suffer other issues that a brick garage wouldn't?

Just been quoted £11 SQ.FT, does that sound about right?