The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Too slow/embarrassing to put round a track?

caliAl

With the recent arrival of my third child and are current house getting a bit cramped, my plans to buy a track car are taking a bit of a back seat at the moment. But sitting on my drive at the moment is a 2000 Vertra SXI which is surplus to requirements. Performance is pretty bad with 60 coming in at 11 seconds but she’s reliable and considering I have no track day experience would she be to slow/embarrassing to put round a track?

You'd want some more speed after a while, but in all honesty it would be fine with everyone else. Nobody's bothered. You always get slow cars on the track up against the likes of GT-R's and such. It only becomes a problem if you make it a problem for others by getting in the way or making the wrong movements all of a sudden.

It'll be fine. Where you tracking it?

Go for it. At least other people can practice their overtaking..!!

LOL that's what a work colleague just said to me :)

Selling it and buying a rwd car would more than likely result in me buying a dog as I'd have limited funds to buy anything half decent. Stripping it is an idea though.

Sod it I'm going to go for it. No point the car just sitting there and if the shame is too much then the car will go on ebay and I'll have to be a bit more patient.

I think I'll give Abingdon a go unless someone else has a better suggestion?

You'll probably learn more in a car that's in stock trim and reliable because not only will you have to spend less time maintaining the car but you'll be able to take it right to the limit pretty much straight away, so you'll have more time learning how to carry speed through corners.

yeah just track it doesnt matter you still will go as fast as it can around a corner so will still be great fun

Couldn't agree more, you may lack the straight line speed but the fun is pushing around and out of the corners and you can still do that, albeit a bit slower than some;)

Ofcourse rear wheel drive is best but you already know that, just get on track and have some fun

Well there is the DC2 option but didnt want to mention the "H" word lol

Have to admit tho a DC2 would be my choice for a dedicated track car. With ohlins coilovers, chargecooler and decent tyres I always found my MR2 very capable tbh. Corners yes could be a handfull if you werent smooth. Rocket out of the corners.

DC2 tho, did recieve many an a*** raping from one of those.

You'll probably learn more in a car that's in stock trim and reliable because not only will you have to spend less time maintaining the car but you'll be able to take it right to the limit pretty much straight away, so you'll have more time learning how to carry speed through corners.

Agree with that, plus if you do spin or slide, it will be vital learning for any such emergencies that may occur on public roads.

Your drive home after your first track day will be the most chilled and relaxed you've driven for ages, you'll not want to overtake or speed anywhere.

LOL that's what a work colleague just said to me :)

Selling it and buying a rwd car would more than likely result in me buying a dog as I'd have limited funds to buy anything half decent. Stripping it is an idea though.

Oh I thought it was a hilarious original comment...:(

What is your budget? Can you not pick up a manual NA?

H.

The budget was 5k but circumstances change and I now have the budget of £0.00. I did have my sights set on a DC2 but this will have to wait till we purchase a bigger house

Hmm, a budget of £0.00 may be a bit restrictive. Good luck in the Vectra, I used to love my old SRi for sliding around corners..!!