The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear subframe/diff

Steve

At the moment I have the rear subframe off of the car as I am replacing the bushes as the adjusters were seized solid, also found the top mount bushes were shot.

Now while it is off I am thinking of replacing the rear diff rubbers (the 2 that seem to push into the subframe), am I right in saying that these just push in/out?

Also was going to replace the diff ear mounts with some solid bushes (to try to solve some of the wheel hop I had). Has anybody got these fitted to their car? Any issues with them?

They are nightmare to get out and even worse to put in UNLESS you make a tool to do it. YOU MUST NOT NOT NOT just fit solid bushes to half of the diff mounts. All solid or all matching rubber ones. Half solid will put fearsome, possibly failure inducing, loads into the diff case and subframe.

At the risk of saying something unpopular, the US forums have a few threads on this - well worth a search. I seem to recall a few blokes back in Australia installing the solid earmounts, so I'll scratch around and see if I can find a thread.

They are nightmare to get out and even worse to put in UNLESS you make a tool to do it. YOU MUST NOT NOT NOT just fit solid bushes to half of the diff mounts. All solid or all matching rubber ones. Half solid will put fearsome, possibly failure inducing, loads into the diff case and subframe.

I thought the same but this car only ever had half the diff bushes solid, the others were stock !!!!!

If you are convinced the front bushes have deteriorated you could try solid mounting the whole diff. Not sure just how noisy this would be though. Anyone put solid metal mounts in able to comment? The subframe itself is bush mounted, so it might not be that intrusive?

Best described as Kin noisy !!!!!

Lee Has just fitted titan solid mounts to mine, the front ones went in fine, he also got the rear ones out ok, when he went to fit the titan weld in mounts they was to small so he has made some better fitting ones, might be worth talking with him if you want some.

Lee Has just fitted titan solid mounts to mine, the front ones went in fine, he also got the rear ones out ok, when he went to fit the titan weld in mounts they was to small so he has made some better fitting ones, might be worth talking with him if you want some.

I think the idea is they are not a press fit as you weld em in, the fronts go in and bolt up then you put the rears in and bolt em to the diff then weld in place.

I think the idea is they are not a press fit as you weld em in, the fronts go in and bolt up then you put the rears in and bolt em to the diff then weld in place.

Yeah but the gap was to big for welding according to Lee, over 3mm all round i think he said.