The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wayne Rooney possible ban

CJ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw this live and thought wtf is the twat doing. there was no need for it and certainly deserves a kick in the pants for it. this guy just gets worse every season as a role model and has learnt nothing from model professionals in the squad such as giggs and van der sar

So whats the ban actually for? Disrepute?

Also the whole role model thing gets me as well. He just plays football, if people want to model themselves on him or anyone else thats their choice and not Rooneys. But I will accept that being such a prominent public figure means you have to behave in a certain way.

i dont see why the role model thing should get anyone. the fact remains that kids often act like their favourite football players whether we like it or not. we as adults obviously dont model ourselves on these stars but kids are easily influenced. how often do you see them running around shouting at the top of their heads that they are their favourite footballer and when they score they celebrate like them. so they see rooney running towards the camera and swearing, why wouldnt they do the same if their favourite footballer does it on tv. and that is my biggest problem with him, he is in the public eye and kids look up to him and he in turn behaves like a prick and has no reason for it other than being a knob and a lowlife by nature

i dont see why the role model thing should get anyone. the fact remains that kids often act like their favourite football players whether we like it or not. we as adults obviously dont model ourselves on these stars but kids are easily influenced. how often do you see them running around shouting at the top of their heads that they are their favourite footballer and when they score they celebrate like them. so they see rooney running towards the camera and swearing, why wouldnt they do the same if their favourite footballer does it on tv. and that is my biggest problem with him, he is in the public eye and kids look up to him and he in turn behaves like a prick and has no reason for it other than being a knob and a lowlife by nature

I agree that he is out of order. I think he is out of order regardless of his stature though, in the public eye or as a role model. In my opinion no footballer has any obligation to be a role model. This is often debated in the football phone ins that I listen to. They are professional footballers, not role models or there for any other reason than to play football. What about boxers? Are they good role models? By your analogy watching a boxing match means the kid is going to go outside and try to knock out another kid. Of course that isn't the case.

Role models are the parents first and foremost. They always will be. People can blame TV and sweary footballers for their kids behaviour all they want, they often do, but that only shows the lack of parenting skill in my opinion. I grew up watching Duncan Ferguson headbutting other players, Terry Butcher grabbing players by the throat, Eric Cantona flying kick spectators and violent movie after violent movie. It hasn't had any influence on the person I am, I am the product of my family and friends. Stern discipline regarding manners and respect is sadly lacking in most families nowadays. It's all that picture boxes fault though.

TBH a ban for this is a bit too far. Although Rooney is a bit of a tool and his swearing didn't seem to make sense, you hear swearing quite a lot during footy games, pitchside mic does collect this stuff. I agree that footballers don't have an obligation to be role models either. Emotions and passion were obviously running high and overpaid footballers are usually quick to be criticized for NOT showing their emotions. His apology should have meant the end of it. Now i'm off to kill myself for feeling sorry for Wayne Rooney. Goodbye.

TBH a ban for this is a bit too far. Although Rooney is a bit of a tool and his swearing didn't seem to make sense, you hear swearing quite a lot during footy games, pitchside mic does collect this stuff. I agree that footballers don't have an obligation to be role models either. Emotions and passion were obviously running high and overpaid footballers are usually quick to be criticized for NOT showing their emotions. His apology should have meant the end of it. Now i'm off to kill myself for feeling sorry for Wayne Rooney. Goodbye.

It was said earlier, and I would tend to agree, that after getting away with the elbowing it was time for some action.

Cowardly way to go about it IMO. Should have dealt with the elbow at the time and given a slap on the wrist for this.

my analogy was referring to how he behaves on the pitch and in his sport. kids as a rule dont go around boxing each other however they do play football almost everyday on the playground and copy what they see their favourite players doing on the tv and that includes celebrations. things like headbutting other players and kung fu kicking the crowd are not the things they generally tend to copy.

and yes he has no obligation to be a role model but it is not his prerogative to decide if he is a role model or not, role models are chosen because they are in the public spotlight and in a position that others strive to be in. they have to accept that they are in a privileged position and that people do look up to them. so when they behave in a certain way when they are representing their profession i.e football, then they also need to accept the responsibilities that go with that and being a model professional on the pitch is one of those things. as for terry butcher and duncan ferguson, they were just thugs on the pitch and never looked up to by kids, i can safely say when i was playing football i never came across any kids that modelled themselves on those players or copied them in anyway..... they just werent good enough.

ok, so forget what he did on the pitch..... he is going to be a dad soon. what kind of role model is he to his unborn child?? someone who cheated on his wife with some cheap hookers or the foul mouthed retard we see on the pitch week in, week out. i guess by your standard he doesnt choose to be a role model to his friends, family and children either because he didnt ask to be their role model.

sometimes we are put in a position and have to accept the responsibilities those positions bring whether we choose to accept them or not

my analogy was referring to how he behaves on the pitch and in his sport. kids as a rule dont go around boxing each other however they do play football almost everyday on the playground and copy what they see their favourite players doing on the tv and that includes celebrations. things like headbutting other players and kung fu kicking the crowd are not the things they generally tend to copy.

and yes he has no obligation to be a role model but it is not his prerogative to decide if he is a role model or not, role models are chosen because they are in the public spotlight and in a position that others strive to be in. they have to accept that they are in a privileged position and that people do look up to them. so when they behave in a certain way when they are representing their profession i.e football, then they also need to accept the responsibilities that go with that and being a model professional on the pitch is one of those things. as for terry butcher and duncan ferguson, they were just thugs on the pitch and never looked up to by kids, i can safely say when i was playing football i never came across any kids that modelled themselves on those players or copied them in anyway..... they just werent good enough.

ok, so forget what he did on the pitch..... he is going to be a dad soon. what kind of role model is he to his unborn child?? someone who cheated on his wife with some cheap hookers or the foul mouthed retard we see on the pitch week in, week out. i guess by your standard he doesnt choose to be a role model to his friends, family and children either because he didnt ask to be their role model.

sometimes we are put in a position and have to accept the responsibilities those positions bring whether we choose to accept them or not

It's his choice if he wants to be a role model. People can't thrust that upon him. I will try to be the best role model I can for my little girl, that is my prerogative though... not anyone elses.

Everything you are saying is down to your opinion of the guy. It is a pretty fair opinion, and he wouldn't be someone I would want any kid to look up to... but he isn't setting out to do that so it is unfair to say that he should be a role model to kids. No footballer is there to be a role model, it is their choice but they do have a responsibility of conduct in order to be a "professional" football player. The likes of Giggs etc I don't think set themselves out to be role models, I genuinely think he is just a nice professional guy.

You are right about kids playing football and shouting out their favourite footballers names etc. That isn't because they are a good "role model" though, it is because they are the favourite player. Being the nicest guy in the world doesn't make any difference to the kids shouting their names, I remember doing it myself and my motives for doing so. Gazza and Cantona ring in my head like it was just yesterday. Hardly a pair of role models those 2 and yet I have managed to go through life without turning to violence or the bottle.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

i agree with what you are saying but the point i am trying to make is that you are a role model to your children whether you choose to be or not. you dont have a choice in it because your child will look up to you regardless as to whether you are a nice guy or a lowlife. you can choose to accept that responsibility or not. in my opinion an irresponsible person would shirk their responsibility and say they choose not to be a role model or they didnt ask for it. at the end of the day if your child chooses you to be their role model are you going to tell them that it is not their prerogative to hold you in that esteem?

i agree with what you are saying but the point i am trying to make is that you are a role model to your children whether you choose to be or not. you dont have a choice in it because your child will look up to you regardless as to whether you are a nice guy or a lowlife. you can choose to accept that responsibility or not. in my opinion an irresponsible person would shirk their responsibility and say they choose not to be a role model or they didnt ask for it. at the end of the day if your child chooses you to be their role model are you going to tell them that it is not their prerogative to hold you in that esteem?

Me? No, but I'm a nice guy (no, really). This is why I think it is more a slight on him as a person rather than his role model abilities. The guy is just an arse lol.

Drag him onto the pitch at half-time in the FA Cup final and then shoot him in the head.

Not only will it make other players behave but it'll also send a message to everyone else that the UK isn't the soft touch they think it is.

'Course I'm just joking. Y'know, like on Top Gear.

I am a big fan of Rooney, I think his a great footballer, though I hate Manchester United fans.

In London you have a lot of them, and youngsters support them dearly, they pretty much idolise them! I grew up like Scott and played Sunday league football & then went on playing with Millwall. We were a pretty nasty bunch but I grew with parents who taught me with respect. I could get away with colourful language on the pitch, if I used it within ear drop of my parents I'd be in big shit! a lot of kids these days don't have this relationship with their parents, they get away with murder.

Saying all this though, he should understand young kids are watching this. If I had a son or daughter watching this with me or on their own, I would be quite annoyed that they heard it! He has a responsibility to these youngsters watching the game.