The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coincidences. What are yours?

Lbm

So I nipped down to Guildford on Saturday afternoon (March 26th) to go to work.

For those of you that don't know, I play in a very famous multi-platinum selling rock and roll band as a bass player.

For those of you that do, that was a massive lie and I am of course in a function band mainly playing weddings and parties.

The point is...it turns out the name of the Groom was a guy called Henk. I saw this on my info sheet on the way down.

I thought, wait a minute, there's a chap on here called Henk. Could it be him?

Turns out it wasn't.

Actually, it was.

Apparently during the speeches, his father-in law mentioned something about the selling the Supra and buying a Prius and my ears pricked up for both reasons.

Naturally I waited to the end of our gig, making sure it had gone well before I asked him if it was he, and before revealing my identity.

So there we are. One MKIV member working for another one, even though I'd never spoken to him or met him before.

I think the whole wedding party enjoyed what we did for them. I guess you'll have to ask Henk himself, but we felt it was a good night.

So that's my March coincidence.

What have you got? :)

I was at the UK launch of the Nissan Leaf the other week and got chatting to a bloke who I assumed worked for Nissan. Turned out he was a super-ARDS instructor at Silverstone - and I'm booked in for some instruction with him on the 9th of May. Random.

So let me get this straight.. He sold his supra and bought a prius???

I know...I know :D

I was at the UK launch of the Nissan Leaf the other week and got chatting to a bloke who I assumed worked for Nissan. Turned out he was a super-ARDS instructor at Silverstone - and I'm booked in for some instruction with him on the 9th of May. Random.

Very good :)

Ha! That's briliant. Was it a good wedding? (you can say if it was rubbish, he probably won't read this) :D

I had a coincidence the other day but I can't remember it, may come back later if I remember.

It was. They danced like mad things for both sets. i think we played about 2 hours 20 minutes in the end.

Oh yeah, Henk hot up and sung the 2nd song with us (Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars). Very cool. Very sweet. And some of it was genuinely in tune too :sly::D

It was. They danced like mad things for both sets. i think we played about 2 hours 20 minutes in the end.

Oh yeah, Henk hot up and sung the 2nd song with us (Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars). Very cool. Very sweet. And some of it was genuinely in tune too :sly::D

Excellent. :) Do people often get up and sing?

My biggest coincidence was once (years ago) when I called my girlfriend on the phone. She answered, but sounded a bit strange. Then she asked how in the hell did I know she was 'there'?

Turned out I'd dialled the wrong number and called a phone box in the same village that she and a friend were walking past when it rang. They just thought they'd answer it to see who it was.

Quite spooky when it happened!

My biggest coincidence was once (years ago) when I called my girlfriend on the phone. She answered, but sounded a bit strange. Then she asked how in the hell did I know she was 'there'?

Turned out I'd dialled the wrong number and called a phone box in the same village that she and a friend were walking past when it rang. They just thought they'd answer it to see who it was.

Quite spooky when it happened!

That's uber spooky. Bet she was freaked for weeks.

I've just found out a girl who I went to school with and used to hold hands with when I was 8 or 9 and call my girlfriend, lives opposite my Mum and Dad. This doesn't sound all that strange but they live in a completely different area to where I went to school. I am storing my Supra on their drive at the moment while it gets worked on and she came over to say hello, baby in arms and another one on the way (apparently 4 days overdue).

Turns out she's married to one of my old school mates brothers. Bit of a blast from the past.

Small world.

I went to a Basingstoke Supra meet where I met Shane / Silversoop a few years ago, he said where he roughly lives in Basingstoke and I realised it was 2 miles from my house. I met him another couple of times at meets and when one meet was coming up a few months later he said he won't be going because his car was in at AFR getting some work done. So I said I'll pick him up and take him to the meet and he gave me his address for picking him up. His address sounded familiar, and when I arrived I realised it was my sisters old house. Shane's family had bought my sisters house off her and he still lives there now :)

Actually I was going to make up a story about kerb-crawling and picking up a whore who turned out to be an Aunt and we went through with it to avoid embarassment... but then I actually remembered that the night I got turned over in Dartford Town Centre by 5 louts, I had to go tot A&E to get my face stitched up, and afterwards I had a tetanus injection in the buttocks and the A&E Sister who did it was in fact my Auntie Nora, who I knew but rarely saw. No words of recognition were exchanged between us, but even if she didn't recognise my puffy swollen face, she'd have a sheet with my name on it.

The summer before last a Welsh couple came into the bar and we started chatting. It turned out that although I didn't recognise him he had attended my old school and could recall several sporting occasions that I was involved in. He then went on to introduce his wife who had worked as a techer in the same school and it came to light that she had taught both my sons when they later attended there.

Small world eh?

We went on holiday to Orlando in the late 80s and whilst queuing up for a ride realised we were stood with our family GP.

We also saw the same GP on a family holiday in Wales about 5 years later.

I wonder if he was following us?

Last time I was in Orlando (about 5 year ago) with my family, me, my brother and sister were queuing for "The Hulk" and saw some family friends that we used to know (my Mum used to childmind the two girls when they were young) but hadn't had contact with for years.

As we had been queuing for an hour we couldn't leave the line to go say "hi" and didn't see them for the rest of the day.

Now, the youngest daughter (just turned 18) drinks in the pub just up the road from me.

Bloody hell, small world!

Exactly - but funnily enough, the further away you go from where you're from, the more likely you are to see someone you know.

We went on holiday to Orlando in the late 80s and whilst queuing up for a ride realised we were stood with our family GP.

We also saw the same GP on a family holiday in Wales about 5 years later.

I wonder if he was following us?

My family had a similar story - we went on a holiday to the Southern part of Australia (about 2000 km away) in our Toyota Tarago, and kept seeing another Tarago (but different colour) in all the towns we were visiting. Not only that, but we had a booking at a caravan park that was confused with theirs... as they have the same surname, and are from Brisbane also! The phonebook has only about 10 people with exactly the same name, in a city of 2.2 million.

Even spookier, my dad recently met the father of this family through some other coincidence (as it turns out they are cousins) and at the time of our trip they were living in the next suburb (about 2 km away).

Not quite so remarkable. Years ago when I was 10 or so we went to Orlando. As you do. Took pictures. As you do. Went to watch the Indiana jones show at universal I think, great!

Fast forward 15 years. And with no connection other than luck. I'm married to the daughter of one of the actors in the show. And he is in our holiday snaps of the show. We didn't discover this till we flicked through them