The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Billet spark plug cover

dcarrter21

Im in talks with a mod reguarding group buys etc. Ive asked my boss about doing a run of these aswell. Im sure i can do them for around the £100 mark aslong as i can do a good number. Watch this space basicly.

Thankyou again for peoples comments

In my opinion , Toyota made them in plastic and put slots in them to aid cooling , underneath is a hot engine and on top the coil packs , a metal cover would retain heat and form a mini oven for the coil pack and wiring below - not for me ; function over form

Surely Daves cover will dissipate heat faster as its a better conductor of heat than plastic and has larger holes, introducing magnets close to coil wires sounds interesting what about interferance, surely if heat around coils is such a problem (and only after many years and thousands of miles) just leave the covers off, function over form etc......simples

A better conductor simply gets hotter , put your hand on a plastic cover then a metal one , you now have a hotter cover trapping heat in ,a mini oven, even with holes ,and for a longer time

Its not just heat on coil packs or wiring clips , its heat from the head ,plugs transfer their heat to the head and on to water ,excess heat goes to air (over what the water can deal with )

leaving the cover off would not be as good as forced air flow , either from a scoop or fans

interference is a frequency dependant thing and voltage dependent , high volts like plug leads cause this , small DC fan motors produce very little , (they use them in computers for example ) Ive located small 21/2 inch fans that can move 50 cfm of air !! and run very small current loadings less than 2 amps - they could be automated with a temp switch,manually switched or constant on

As I will run very high boost and generate an incredible amount of heat , I need every bit of head cooling available

At stock power if you want bling then go for it ,

where exactly does the uk bonnet scoop feed air ? not had one so I cant tell ,and why did Toyota fit one ?

These are top quality, if you saw the work and amount of raw material used they are not expensive. Dave made these for me in a diff style and they are suprerb.

That looks really smart, curves nicely with the shape of the cam covers.

A better conductor simply gets hotter , put your hand on a plastic cover then a metal one , you now have a hotter cover trapping heat in ,a mini oven, even with holes ,and for a longer time

Its not just heat on coil packs or wiring clips , its heat from the head ,plugs transfer their heat to the head and on to water ,excess heat goes to air (over what the water can deal with )

leaving the cover off would not be as good as forced air flow , either from a scoop or fans

interference is a frequency dependant thing and voltage dependent , high volts like plug leads cause this , small DC fan motors produce very little , (they use them in computers for example ) Ive located small 21/2 inch fans that can move 50 cfm of air !! and run very small current loadings less than 2 amps - they could be automated with a temp switch,manually switched or constant on

As I will run very high boost and generate an incredible amount of heat , I need every bit of head cooling available

where exactly does the uk bonnet scoop feed air ? not had one so I cant tell ,and why did Toyota fit one ?

From what I've been told, the "snorkel" feeds the air to the exhaust manifold and was used for cooling during high speed tests on the Autobahn.

From what I've been told, the "snorkel" feeds the air to the exhaust manifold and was used for cooling during high speed tests on the Autobahn.

I thought it was for the 5th and 6th cylinders but MVP say its to help cool the 3rd & 4th cylinders which are known to overheat during spirited driving.

I thought it was for the 5th and 6th cylinders but MVP say its to help cool the 3rd & 4th cylinders which are known to overheat during spirited driving.

Ah, I could be wrong then.

Just what I've read/been told :)

Exactly, surely the reason the metal cover is hotter to touch is because the heat is coming thru it and being dissipated and not held under it therfore it is dissipating heat a lot better than a plastic one !!!! The fans will just be moving superheated air around the coils much like a fan oven does, the way to keep them coolest is run no cover at all rather than introduce another problem and yet more complications to an already complicated car.

Totally agree Dude, something feeling hotter would tell me it is far more efficient at dissipating the heat than something that is cooler in the same scenario. If plastic was better for this purpose we wouldn't use copper and metal heat sinks.

Heatsinks have to be a much larger and greater surface area than the heatsource(or airflow assisted) , thats how they work , in this case not ,the cover will easily get to nearly the same temp as the head outer surface and form an oven ie 2 hot surfaces with an enclosed area of air , the air will be fairly stagnant within the area , only the slots allowing escape .

the cover like the head being metal also retains heat for a long time ,plastic far less so . in any situation its air that is the medium for heat transfer , the more air flow around the head valley the better - its here that the hot air is trapped

Fans can work either way both pushing air into the valley and out the slots or sucking air into the slots and out of the fan blades , whichever moving air across the hot surfaces will increase cooling massively and a cut hole with just 2 wires and 4 bolts to fit !!!

the exit air will move with the underbonnet air flow out of the area whilst moving , the air in the head valley less so

with an increase in air velocity via fans the cooling or heat dissapation increases exponentially , keeping heads at constant temp is the goal despite increasing combustion temps

Heatsinks have to be a much larger and greater surface area than the heatsource(or airflow assisted) , thats how they work , in this case not ,the cover will easily get to nearly the same temp as the head outer surface and form an oven ie 2 hot surfaces with an enclosed area of air , the air will be fairly stagnant within the area , only the slots allowing escape .

the cover like the head being metal also retains heat for a long time ,plastic far less so . in any situation its air that is the medium for heat transfer , the more air flow around the head valley the better - its here that the hot air is trapped

Fans can work either way both pushing air into the valley and out the slots or sucking air into the slots and out of the fan blades , whichever moving air across the hot surfaces will increase cooling massively and a cut hole with just 2 wires and 4 bolts to fit !!!

the exit air will move with the underbonnet air flow out of the area whilst moving , the air in the head valley less so

with an increase in air velocity via fans the cooling or heat dissapation increases exponentially , keeping heads at constant temp is the goal despite increasing combustion temps

I wasn't referring to it being LIKE a heatsink, where did you get that from? I was saying that if a plastic cover was better at dissipating heat than a metal cover then heatsinks would be made of plastic. I was saying this is why heatsinks are made of metal.

You seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick. Plastic is far better at being an insulator than it ever will be at dissipating heat, the opposite will always be said of any solid metallic object (of sensible thickness of course).

I agree that fans will make a big difference in both situations, but I don't agree that a plastic cover is better than a metallic one. I would even go as far to say the metallic one will keep the internal temperature of the coilpack area cooler than the plastic would. Yes the metallic cover will hold the heat longer, but the length of time the area is warm won't make a difference... as long as it is cooler than with the plastic cover it can only aid the situation.

All IMO of course. Would need to stick a thermometer in there to find out.

The cover is there to prevent crud falling into the head cavity and to prevent condensation forming on the coil packs , there is no need for forced air at stock power or stock rpm , but once you elevate both more cooling is desirable .

An alloy cover forms a heat bridge , it will nearly get to the same temp as the head as it is conductive , this now creates 2 hot surfaces head and cover .

The air between head and cover now gets hotter - it forms a layer of insulating air , heat moves from hot to cold, oh just forget it ! Carry on

The cover is there to prevent crud falling into the head cavity and to prevent condensation forming on the coil packs , there is no need for forced air at stock power or stock rpm , but once you elevate both more cooling is desirable .

An alloy cover forms a heat bridge , it will nearly get to the same temp as the head as it is conductive , this now creates 2 hot surfaces head and cover .

The air between head and cover now gets hotter - it forms a layer of insulating air , heat moves from hot to cold, oh just forget it ! Carry on

Blow the crud out with an air line and I don't believe for 1 minute the plastic cover with holes in it stops any condensation at all. Overly complicating a very simple solution if it is indeed a problem simply run no cover at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.