The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What sort of music does a Supra drive to?

Dino V

Oh don't get me wrong I totally understand. I have mates who belong to the club scene (mate used to organise huge raves, you've probs heard of Terry Turbo and another two mates are big drum and bass producers). I'm not calling your taste in music in the slightest mate (each to their own and all that) but saying rock, punk, classical, soul, blues etc. etc. etc. isn't music because you can't DJ to it is just madness

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't even sully my worst enemies car with that shite.

Rock, not music? Strange that you don't get much sheet music for dance? ;)

No exactly!

You create dance music on a computer, but it's still made up of four beats in a bar like every other type of music in the world!

You could print the pattern and call that "sheet music" if you liked! :D

drum n bass, progressive trance and break beats.

pretty much waht bobbeh said, anything godskitchen.

thats reminds me, GODSKITCHEN GLOBAL GATHERING 2005, july 29-30.

woohooo this year you get to camp.

Good effort! i'm gonna try and make it to this year's Global gathering, but its other side of the country so will probably just end up doing creamfields again.

My mate's nite who i sometimes play for is helping to host the main arena - Cream meets Goodgreef.

Bloody hell, I don't even recognise any of those options - are they all forms of chav music ? :p

Or, is there an age limit on this one ?

I'd say they are mainly listened to by the 18-30 age group i would say.

Old Skool and bouncy house can be quite chavvy types of music, the rest arent.

So really the question was "What mainstream dance type music do supra owners like"? :D :p

Not really Supragal.

Mainstream dance is mainly chart, cheese and pop (the sort of stuff you get in the top 40) although that can occasionally include some funky house / trance tracks.

The other genre's are a lot more underground than mainstream.

Oh don't get me wrong I totally understand. I have mates who belong to the club scene (mate used to organise huge raves, you've probs heard of Terry Turbo and another two mates are big drum and bass producers). I'm not calling your taste in music in the slightest mate (each to their own and all that) but saying rock, punk, classical, soul, blues etc. etc. etc. isn't music because you can't DJ to it is just madness

I agree with you Steve.

Music is music whether it is classical, rock or pop, dance, whatever.

But i never said DJ music is the only type of music in the world, i just said can you imagine trying to DJ it! it would be impossible!

And just to clear up, earlier on in the thread, when i said i don't consider rock / thrash metal music, that was a very "tongue in cheek" statement, of course its music, but its so unappealing to me, it may as well not be! :D

Bloody hell strange thread!

Everyone has their own musical tastes, if not it would be a bit boring!

My musical tastes are quite diverse and include :-

Hip Hop / R n B

Rock

Radio

& Finally

[flame suit on]Country (much to some of my mates disgust!) - but once you done Nashville and the likes you kind of get a feel for it!! ;) [/flame suit off]

:D :D :D

Thread should be called "drive to my tipe of music or be wrong".

Why bother asking what type of music people drive to and not give the full range of catagories to choose from? Then when people point this out you just try to put them down saying ...

I have never said the music you can DJ too is the only style of music in the world, i said "that is the only type of music worth listening to" or driving to, in this thread.

Personnally I grew up with Rock & classical and still listen to them occasionally but I mainly listen to Trance & Old Skool now but as you say

they are mainly listened to by the 18-30 age group
I'm 37 so I'm probably wrong there too!

Thread should be called "drive to my tipe of music or be wrong".

Why bother asking what type of music people drive to and not give the full range of catagories to choose from? Then when people point this out you just try to put them down saying ...

Personnally I grew up with Rock & classical and still listen to them occasionally but I mainly listen to Trance & Old Skool now but as you say I'm 37 so I'm probably wrong there too!

John, If you fully read my quote you just posted at the top there, it said underneath, "and that is my opinion" which you have omitted to include, just like youre entitled to have yours too!

Also, someone asked if it was an age thing because they'd never heard of they type of genre's i'd listed, therefore i said "I'd say they are mainly listened to by the 18-30 age group i would say" which is a generalisation, of course there will be exceptions such as yourself!

I admit i should have included rock in the poll, as i see there are a lot of rockers amongst the board, i forgot all about it, but come on mate can't you see a tongue in cheek comment when you see one?!? chill out & lighten up! :thumbs:

Bit varied i'm afraid, mostly indie/punk/rock stuff though.

Also partial to a bit of two tone (specials, madness etc...)

I can pretty much listen to most types of music really,

faves @ the moment are The Jam, The Specials, The Offspring,

White Zombie/Rob Zombie & many many more....

Also....wheres the option for Motown/Northern soul?

Love Northern soul too, best has to be 'ghost in my house'

by R. Dean Taylor..absolute classic! All this IMO of course!

Just hate all that chart crap these days, so bland & boring.

You create dance music on a computer, but it's still made up of four beats in a bar like every other type of music in the world!

Hmm, I'd like to see you waltz to four beats in a bar!!!!

one, two, three (step on your partners toes), one, two, three.....

But with regards to the above comment, (what about jazz, rockabilly, punk, be-bop, blues, prog rock, latin, metal, dance band, choral, swing, folk, world, country) Are you mad??? i'm a 25 year old clubber! not a 35 year old past it! :eek:

Have you ever tried to DJ any of the above? no cos you cant, you can't possibly beat match any of the above genre's of music succesfully and seamlessly on any of today's turntables (and would probably struggle on CD mixers too - even if you had a wide range of pitch)

I consider myself rather epcleptic in the music i listen to, ok yes they are all in the dance / electronic genre, but if you listened to the different types you would appreciate they are all massively different from each other, hence the need to subcategorise so many different variants of "house music"

Interesting. With regard to styles of music and age, I've always listened to a wide range of music. By the time I was 16, I was already listening to pretty much everything in that list -no matter what decade or even what century it was from. The problem with saying 'I don't listen to that because it's for old fogeys' is that you train yourself not to enjoy a whole world of music. As a music lover, why on earth would you want to do that?

Someone who likes 95 different varieties of House isn't eclectic by my definition. I can understand that there may be huge variety within one genre - but it's still only one genre. The proof of this is your comment that you can't DJ the other types. Exactly, and that what's good about them, and what limits House so much.

If we just take rhythm, House is almost invariably in 4/4, albeit at different tempos. But 3/4, as Faye pointed out, is an alternative. How about 5/4 or 7/8? It's variations like these that can make a song or piece really interesting and unexpected. Also, the emphasis on keeping an invariant 4/4 rhythm means that every tune or musical idea has to be pummelled into fitting the rhythm. That might make it good to dance to, but to my mind, it makes it boring and vanilla to listen to.

But it may be that I just haven't heard enough House. Maybe you could point me in the direction of some names you think are doing interesting stuff?

Regards

Cliff

Edited for spelling

Used to listen to dance / house (whatever it's called) music in the early 90s (and take lots of Es too). I feel a bit old for all that shyte now though.

Now I listen to country and western - Jonny Cash, David Allen Coe etc. It's awesome but unacceptably racist which isn't good.

He he I do so love to see Cliffs responses. They are always so direct and sensible, and as 100% right as you can actually get (opinions withstanding). I also listen to a very wide range of music. I have to say that when I was younger than I am now it was extreme's of music that did it for me. Anything that sounded way thrashy in the metal dept, had a million bpm in the house and techno world light my fire. As I've gotten a bit older I've started to appreciiatte different music for what it is.

Now I find the music I listen to is very mood dependent. Friday night when I get home after a hard week some club anthems go down well. Saturday mid afternoon with the bbq lit a bit of light rock approaching heavy rock is just the ticket. Midweek with a monk on about something at work nothing chills me better than Holst the planets. On an evening out clubbing I like to go to clubs that have hard house and funk/soul rooms to dance to. Sipping a beer on a beach you can't beat a bit of reggae. Light drop of wine with friends a bit of violin or light opera on low.

I am just as comfortable at a Wasp gig as I am at an opera or creamfields. I'd love to do Glastonbury. I regularly go to the proms and classical outdoor concerts, and attend band pubs with rock/punk elements also.

But I guess the original question was what music do you listen to whilst thrashing your 400 bhp car :) Metallica's black album or a rock compilation thats home made are what's in my car at the mo. I did have greenday but some git knicked it. Girlfriend has just put Foo fighters latest in and I am getting on well with that.

He he I do so love to see Cliffs responses. They are always so direct and sensible, and as 100% right as you can actually get (opinions withstanding)

Thank you, Bryan.I shall print this off and show it to the legions of people at work who believe me to be a complete retard.