The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What sort of music does a Supra drive to?

Dino V

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but with the exception of classical, i wanted to get a feel for what people listen to in the dance / electronic music genre! as that's the only genre worth listening to anyway! :D

I didn't miss the smiley, but I get the feeling you're only half joking! If so, that's a fairly tiny musical universe you live in. Not that I'm good on musical genres, but what about jazz, rockabilly, punk, be-bop, blues, prog rock, latin, metal, dance band, choral, swing, folk, world, country and on and on....

It's a shame that if you love music enough to dj that your tastes are so (apparently) conservative. I encourage you to step outside the House.

MaveriK - In answer to your 'Valkyrie' question - yes, it's the 'kill the wabbit' song from the Bugs Bunny special (What's Opera, Doc? - 1950s, I think).

The piece is from Act Two of 'Die Walkure', the second of the four Ring Cycle operas, and was famously played over the napalming helicopters scene in 'Apocalypse Now'. Interestingly, most of the stage valkyies I've seen couldn't sit on a horse, winged or otherwise, without crushing it flat.

I went through that 'complete bollox' music faze as a teenybopper, then I realised it was mindless wank and listened solely to 80's rock/metal and later to add to it stuff like American Headcharge, Rammstein, Static X and a few choice others.... now I'm just a grumpy bad tempered git :D

I didn't miss the smiley, but I get the feeling you're only half joking! If so, that's a fairly tiny musical universe you live in. Not that I'm good on musical genres, but what about jazz, rockabilly, punk, be-bop, blues, prog rock, latin, metal, dance band, choral, swing, folk, world, country and on and on....

It's a shame that if you love music enough to dj that your tastes are so (apparently) conservative. I encourage you to step outside the House.

MaveriK - In answer to your 'Valkyrie' question - yes, it's the 'kill the wabbit' song from the Bugs Bunny special (What's Opera, Doc? - 1950s, I think).

The piece is from Act Two of 'Die Walkure', the second of the four Ring Cycle operas, and was famously played over the napalming helicopters scene in 'Apocalypse Now'. Interestingly, most of the stage valkyies I've seen couldn't sit on a horse, winged or otherwise, without crushing it flat.

Wow, this one really has hit a few nerves!

Which is great, there's nothing like a good thread to get everyone thinkin and everyone's opinions out, which of course, everyone is entitled too!

But with regards to the above comment, (what about jazz, rockabilly, punk, be-bop, blues, prog rock, latin, metal, dance band, choral, swing, folk, world, country) Are you mad??? i'm a 25 year old clubber! not a 35 year old past it! :eek:

Have you ever tried to DJ any of the above? no cos you cant, you can't possibly beat match any of the above genre's of music succesfully and seamlessly on any of today's turntables (and would probably struggle on CD mixers too - even if you had a wide range of pitch)

I consider myself rather epcleptic in the music i listen to, ok yes they are all in the dance / electronic genre, but if you listened to the different types you would appreciate they are all massively different from each other, hence the need to subcategorise so many different variants of "house music"

I can appreciate the necessity for such other styles of music such as "kill the wabbit" tune etc. in films and agree they work with great effect, but this is a thread on what music you drive to on a day to day basis, and being a fairly young lad into the club scene, i could never imagine crusing round in a 400 BHP car with classical on!

But again that is my opinion and i am glad to see everyone putting some response in! :)

Rock here too.

But since you don't consider that as music I just won't vote. ;)

Hard House, Tech House, Funky House, Bouncy House - WTF is all that crap supposed to be? :lol:

The above styles are just four subcategories of the parent style of house music which are essential in differentiating each type of music.

if you listened individually to each style of music (even if you had many different tracks) you would appreciate they are all very different!

For example:

Hard house - Fast style hard house with an industrial sound, approx 150 BPM

Bouncy House - Closest to hard house, but with more of an old skool influence and samples etc. approx 150 BPM

Tech House - Newer style of house incorporating more of an electro sound, approx 130 BPM

Funky House - Most popular style of house music currently, quite vocal with chunky basslines, approx 120 BPM

More or less, that is WTF that crap is all about! :D

Wow you've got a very small mind for music if you believe the only kind of music is the stuff you can DJ to!!! Am I right in thinking DJ'ing isn't MAKING music as such but more mixing music other people have created?

p.s. I'm 23... for those about to rock... we salute you :D

This is true Steve, DJ'ing is mixing music people have already created.

I have never said the music you can DJ too is the only style of music in the world, i said "that is the only type of music worth listening to" or driving to, in this thread.

And that is my opinion!

i hate rock! maybe you hate dance? it doesn't really matter!