The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ARP Wheel Studs - Won't Fit

dandan

I had a look at my ARP wheel studs yesterday and tried a test fit in my spare rear hubs.

The studs stop out long before the splined part of the stud reaches the drive flange's spline as if the stud is the wrong size.

Does anyone know the ARP's measurements? Could I have been sent the wrong studs? It seems to me that Iif I do press them in, the plain diameter portion at 13.93mm will wipe out a fair bit of the female spline in the hub (which measures approx 13.8 across the small part of the spline and 13.99 across the largest diameter).

Any thoughts?

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

When I bought some aftermarket ARP's they were barely a tight fit in the hub, we had to put a tack on the back. The last set I had in the black car were like yours slightly too big, I just knocked the top off the splines in a lathe and put the studs in the freezer overnight and heated the hub up, they went in fine but I could not get an unfrozen/unheated one in at all, finally because I needed ones very long to comply with scrutineering and im a bit paranoid about a wheel coming off and tearing the back wing off the car I had a set of 10 made that will take the car launching at 7000rpm and full power.

Studs3.jpg

Thanks dude. :thumbs:

Bit strange how some people have ones that seem too big and others are like your's where they need welding in - cr@p really. I think I'll get the plain diameter bit turned down a quarter of a mm or so and I could also turn them to the exact length as well I suppose...

Nice one thanks - there is hope for an easy(ish) fit then! :D . Good point on the length, I'll be shortening them by somthing like 15mm or else my nuts won't tighten down fully.

Mine poke thru the nuts quite a bit but thats what I wanted for scrutineering, you can like JP says just drill the backplate to help get em in, pulling em in with a nut is fine but make sure it is good quality and use something to stop it eating its way into the hub.