The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cheating, filthy, mutha.......

Ian W

Right.

i want justice and i need your guys' help. the garage i bought my soop from has advertised the car i used as a trade-in. no big deal as obviously they'd like to sell it and make some more cash off me!!

problem is they've advertised it with nearly 20k miles less than when i traded it in!!!! should i report them? who do i report them to???

let me know what you think cos it seems well-dodgy to me........

:swear:

and to top it all off.......i didn't check the brakes out properly (silly of me, i know) and turns out the rears have been binding so now need to replace the pads/discs at my own expense!!!

reckon there's any chance of me getting some cash back for that?!?!

:rtfm:

Guest chiefvinso

I use to work with Trading standards and to be honest unless you had some physical evidence they wouldnt budge - I know typical local government. Could be good to let them know though as they might already be looking at the dealer.

Did you get any warranty with your car? But I dont think brakes are covered in most warranties - not sure though. Sorry to hear about that tho.

What is the status on clocked cars, I mean I havent heard of anyone getting done for it - who enforces this area and I would pressume its hard to act on as the cars pass through different owners over a period of time.

Guest Sakura

Why not call them and say you have noticed they have made a "mistake"? Suggest you could overlook it, if they pay to get your rear brakes fixed - then after they have done that - report them! :sly:

Originally Posted by Sakura

Why not call them and say you have noticed they have made a "mistake"? Suggest you could overlook it, if they pay to get your rear brakes fixed - then after they have done that - report them! :sly:

genius!

...but illegal

...no danger of that Monkey m'boy, i'm about as pi$$ed off as you can get right now and yes i know that they'll probably have done it with mine as well....especially since the supra has a digital odo which as far as i'm aware is even easier to tamper with!!

:complain:

Guest Sakura
...no danger of that Monkey m'boy, i'm about as pi$$ed off as you can get right now and yes i know that they'll probably have done it with mine as well....especially since the supra has a digital odo which as far as i'm aware is even easier to tamper with!!

:complain:

Is your car an import? If so, you can at least check the mileage on the BIMTA website. Even if the car doesn't come with a BIMTA certificate, they can trace it back to the mileage at the auction in Japan. You can get a certificate for about £20, and this helps prove mileage when/if you want to sell the car on.

Clocking the car isn't (or wasn't a couple of years ago) in itself illegal, but selling it on knowing that it is clocked is a CRIMINAL offence.

Two blokes near me got done for this a couple of years ago and they lost their business over it.

The Retail Motor Industry Federation may be interested if your garage is a member.

get a mate to go round and pretend to be interested, they can pose the question 'and what did you say the mileage was' and they can confirm/correct it and he can also sit in the car and look at the mileage. atleast then you'll know yourself whether it is just an oversight or fraud.

in the motor trade, as any business person knows, a reputation is what the business is built on, but you can easily spread the word locally about them. just make sure it's not an honest mistake otherwise it's their livelihoods your messing with.

(having said that it is second hand car dealers and we all know what they're like ;)

Guest Arctic Chill

I agree with RobAndrews, make sure it's not a mistake.

However, we all know it won't be. Having dealt with Trading Standards I wouldn't hold my breath, maybe the local police would be interested. It is deception after all.