The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would you regard as the best console over the 80/90's Era

Geo

It really depends what you class the "best" as. The best of that era (80s/90s) has to be the PS1 hands down. Out of the list above it really depends on whether you mean most popular or most advanced.

The NES would get the prize for the most influential. It single handedly revolutionised gaming IMO.

The Dreamcast was technically the better console out of the list but I think it was a bit of a flop to be honest. It certainly didn't have the same influence as the likes of the Snes and the Megadrive did.

Snes Vs Megadrive I would say the SNES just edges it, the games on the Megadrive were too easy IMO. The snes had a lot more variety and with games like Starwing and accesories like the Scope it lead the way for me.

The Amiga and Atari ST weren't consoles, they were full blown computers so that sort of rules them out of the console war. I would rather have an Amiga over any console every day of the week. The only things holding the computers back was the loading times and the slight lack of development with regards to "pick up and play" games.

Dreamcast FTW! Those memory cards with LCD screens that you could level up characters on, online gaming via modem, and most importantly a bunch of original & addictive games: ChuChu Rocket, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio Future (still have that soundtrack on my ipod). Still got mine :-)

Have to say the NES emulator with Mario Bros on the psp is cracking fun, since it's such a small screen it's looks ok too.

It's amazing when you play with the emulators, it reminds you that complete games were less than a MB, in today's gaming that wouldn't be enough for the credits :D

I've voted for SNES, I may have voted PS1 if it had been there. For example, just have a look at a SNES control pad. The influence on all other controllers since is obvious.

IMO the SNES was the very start of the modern games consoles, though the PS1 was the one that really got things moving. The PS1 rendered all the competition obsolete, and completely changed gaming forever. It almost single handedly killed off Sega from the console market, and forced Nintendo to seriously rethink their strategy.

I think the question could be re-phrased, "What was the main gaming system you owned when you were in your early teens?" Whatever someone owned (or their family owned), that's bound to be their favourite.

It's not a console at all but my favourite gaming device was a BBC Model B. I got so used to playing games on a qwerty keyboard that I still find modern games controllers (PS1/PS2/Xbox etc) clumsy and awkward to use in 1st person shooters, and damn near impossible to put the cross-hairs on something you're trying to shoot at.

On paper the Beeb can't compete with anything in the list of possible poll answers, but since my childhood I've had a soft spot for it. What the Beeb games lose in detailed graphics, realism and complexity, they gain in playability (and crucially for me, familiarity).

Ah all the rich kids had the BBCs ;) I do remember playing grannys garden on one in school and Repton, but maybe that was on the acorn electron? Me and my brother had spectrums, I started off with a 16K rubber keys beermat spec then plastic keyed 48K then a mightly +3! unfortunately by then Amstrad had taken them over and the build quality was terrible and it went back about 3 times for various things. An original Xbox makes for a good emulator, had a good magic land dizzy faff not long ago but the pad is no match for a propper kempston joystick.

All this talk about games consoles means I'll be getting out my N64 again so that I can play "Golden Eye" tonight. Maybe even multiplayer..... Quality :) :) :)

thats my idea, I've taken 2 days in lieu, so this Fri/Mon will be Super Famicom days, :D

SNES.. Just for one game.. Killer Instincts :D

Or Moral Kombat, where you hit somebody and blood would come splashing out of them :D I used to love the bit just before you killed your opponent it would go "Finish them!!" :eyebrows: Also I remember on the SNES when playing Mortal Kombat II, if you were beating the cr@p out of your opponent, and suddenly they snacked you one. A photo of some bloke in black and white would pop into the lower corner of the screen and go "Whoopsieeeeessss" LOL :D