The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift TT6

Ace

As the title suggests, been looking for one of these for some time now.

Will consider any example, but the following are preferred:-

Colours: black, gunmetal, silver, red

Exterior: as close to stock as possible

Naturally, as many little extras as possible (VVTi, air con) would be welcomed.

That sounds promising, Jurgen - let me know when you've got the pictures.

After coming up to you from Kent last year, I've only seen the 2000 VVTi in black you had a few months back, and you sold that within two days...

Looks good but I've always been wary of buying something like a car on eBay. Plus I tend to go over adverts like that with a fine toothed comb; for example, the item specifics show the number plate as an S-reg, but in the freetype section below, the seller describes it as a V-reg.

To me, if I am looking for someone to potentially part with 12000 quid for my car, I'd make sure the advert was absolutely error-free and spot on factually, just as I'd expect from any car dealership, large or small.

Maybe I'm just too picky...

Looks good but I've always been wary of buying something like a car on eBay. Plus I tend to go over adverts like that with a fine toothed comb; for example, the item specifics show the number plate as an S-reg, but in the freetype section below, the seller describes it as a V-reg.

To me, if I am looking for someone to potentially part with 12000 quid for my car, I'd make sure the advert was absolutely error-free and spot on factually, just as I'd expect from any car dealership, large or small.

Maybe I'm just too picky...

that could be as simple as:

You enter 1998 in ebay and it translates that to S reg while the car is registered with the DVLA as a V reg.

I rather pick up the phone and speak to the owner and then arrange for a viewing, that would tell me a lot about how the car has potentially been driven and looked after over the years.

like you, I would never just buy a car off ebay.

that could be as simple as:

You enter 1998 in ebay and it translates that to S reg while the car is registered with the DVLA as a V reg.

I rather pick up the phone and speak to the owner and then arrange for a viewing, that would tell me a lot about how the car has potentially been driven and looked after over the years.

like you, I would never just buy a car off ebay.

I tend to agree; although I always think I should be calling a seller because I am prompted to do so on the strength of a brilliant, well laid-out advert, rather than calling them to clarify questions that arise due to uncertainty in their advert.

And just while I'm thinking about it, although I know the lines blur between registrations around that time (due to the imminent registration system change in 2001), I'm pretty sure S-regs were 98-99 models, and V-regs was 1999-2000 (or maybe even 2000 only).

I'm happy to be corrected though.

And just while I'm thinking about it, although I know the lines blur between registrations around that time (due to the imminent registration system change in 2001), I'm pretty sure S-regs were 98-99 models, and V-regs was 1999-2000 (or maybe even 2000 only).

I'm happy to be corrected though.

Correct but there can still be variations. As an example I have heard of 98 models having 02 registrations due to them being imported in 02 and there being mixups. You may find that although it is a 98 model, the registration on the car could be 2000 V due to being imported then.

As an example my Supra has 2002 on the V5 document, but it is a 1996 model. I have a personal plate though so none of it adds up :D

Silver 6 speed manual 1996/7 twin turbo facelift (non vvti). Stock body, full black leather with UK brakes.

It's totally stock, it's even still running in km's on the speedo and has never been converted to miles on the speedo or odo the only thing it has is a fog light conversion. It was brought into the country with less than 5K km's & has a full Toyota service history (14 stamps) up to me acquiring it in May 2009 and the service book displays stamps as follows

4481km's 6/5/97

11396km's 5/11/97

17472km's 24/6/98

23418km's 22/2/99

29490km's 20/10/99

33618km's 27/4/00

41269km's 20/4/01

49861km's 27/6/02

55439km's 31/5/03

66106km's 22/10/04 Oil & filter, air filter, Fuel filter, Gear oil + Mot.

71960km's 19/10/05 Oil & Filter + Mot

76279km's 14/12/06 £205.38 Oil filter

79529km's 18/10/07 £935.22 Rear Pads, Cambelt, Oil & Filter, Brake & clutch fluid, Gear box oil, carry out MOT

82676km's 5/9/08 £342.37 Plugs oil & filter wiper blades

I obtained direct from the Toyota dealership, copy invoices for the last 5-6 services/stamps, this was as far back as their system would go (the previous owner being an accountant he had the originals all filed away at his office presumably for tax purposes). As he was the only owner I was happy to assume all the previous stamps were 100% genuine too rather than 'a mate with a stamp' situation (who would spend nearly a grand in 2007 and not have looked after it equally as well prior to this?). I really think you'd struggle to find an import with a more verifiable history and it was this and the cars condition that convinced me to buy it. I have a HPI report from the time of purchase that was fine and verifies the reg number changes (all the service invoices have the private reg reference but the service books first entry has the original P reg number is has now).

I have carried out the following service work since....

86000km's 30/5/09 Oil change - pre opie oil synthetic delivery a run of the mill Mobil S changed when I first got it back home.

87794km's 29/7/09 Fresh V160 & engine oil changed (+filter) for Silkolene Pro from Opie oils + new stock air filter element.

August 09 tightened subframe bolts

Sept/Oct replaced passenger side engine mount which cleared up the knocking I had on pulling away from a stand still.

Slightly tatty original stock exhaust replaced with an as new stock exhaust.

96700km's 03/03/2010 Silkolene Pro & oil filter change.

Some other service bits I can’t remember at work, the above I had on a draft for sale ad already (will update later) but includes plugs and the top x2 breather hoses (all coil pack clips fine and not brittle) done a week or so ago.

MOT to 30th October 2010, tax to end of September 2010

The tightness of the gearbox / drivetrain are in 100% keeping with the low mileage, the front light len's are exceptionally clear and free from clouding. All contact points ie seats gearstick and steering wheel are pretty much immaculate, the engine bay is untouched, all stock bar the alarm siren! With everything stock the engine is whisper quiet and the turbo's and the whole sequential system operates as it should. There is no smoke on startup (even with extended week or so rest periods) or at any other time when in use.

The heater blows very hot air (the cooling system has seen nothing but red forlife).

The body work is very very good with the one tiny pin dent (rear drivers side arch) and a little front bumper scuff low down just above the black stock lip.

Low genuine mileage 100% verifiable via the service history and all done at stock boost so a truely unmolested supra.

Would be looking for £8,750 ovno.

I think there are some pictures in the thread linked below (again will check update tonight if not)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?218565-6-speed-twinturbo-Supra

Silver 6 speed manual 1996/7 twin turbo facelift (non vvti). Stock body, full black leather with UK brakes.

MOT to 30th October 2010, tax to end of September 2010

Would be looking for £8,750 ovno.

I think there are some pictures in the thread linked below (again will check update tonight if not)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?218565-6-speed-twinturbo-Supra

There are indeed pictures on that thread, looks very nice. Whereabouts in Surrey are you? And I presume the MOT and tax expiration dates are now sometime this year rather than last year...

opps yes! thats a 2010 2011 typo............but will double check later.

I'm just south of Guildford, approx 3 miles from the Milford exit of the A3.

typo - oh no - rules your car out ...... :)

typo - oh no - rules your car out ...... :)

Caught out hook, line and sinker there :)

Here's the clincher for Scooter though - is Paypal out of the question? A lot of people tend to fear it.

I only ask because my original intention was to buy one through a dealer on a credit card. The idea of an individual wanting to part with theirs escaped me, so the only payment method readily available remains plastic.

Caught out hook, line and sinker there :)

Here's the clincher for Scooter though - is Paypal out of the question? A lot of people tend to fear it.

I only ask because my original intention was to buy one through a dealer on a credit card. The idea of an individual wanting to part with theirs escaped me, so the only payment method readily available remains plastic.

like most dealers paypal will charge a handling fee (it works out to be 4%) which is a significant amount when dealing with substantial sums such as this.

paypal do offer a GIFT option (believe this is the one without the 4% fee) - best to double check this.

other option is a CHAPS transfer - instant, safe and secure and costs £25.

like most dealers paypal will charge a handling fee (it works out to be 4%) which is a significant amount when dealing with substantial sums such as this.

paypal do offer a GIFT option (believe this is the one without the 4% fee) - best to double check this.

other option is a CHAPS transfer - instant, safe and secure and costs £25.

I saw that on Paypal, but the gift option then requires a phone call to the credit card company to find out whether they'll consider it a straight cash transfer (and therefore charge the higher interest rate that comes with it).

Some investigation required on my part, it seems.

Think if you go with "Personal Payment Owed" there is no paypal charges at all.

this is assuming that the receiver of the funds can accept paypal. question then is when they withdraw the funds to their bank account do they get charged?

I have to say I'd prefer the more usual methods of payment.

I was trying to put myself in your position and thought that in similar circumstances there are a few people I could call upon that I could gift via Paypal and they would get the money transfered to me or physically present me with it, for me to then do as I please, is that not an option?

There is one major flaw with sending as a gift or personal payment owed, you aren't covered and have no comeback via paypal. I don't mind sending certain amounts of cash via paypal, but anything over and I always send it the traditional way (or bank transfer).

It seems I'm largely restricted to using a trader while I can use only a credit card to make a purchase.

Paypal shows its charges to be 3.4% + 20p - I think its free to pay via the system, but you receive the percentage charge to take the money as the seller - in this instance, it's not Scooter's fault that I have chosen that particular method, therefore the responsibility of charges should fall to me. 3.4% in this instance would be almost 300 quid.

I agree with Scott M in that it becomes a massive leap of faith by sending large sums of money electronically to a private individual. I'm sure Scooter is just as reputable an individual as anyone else on here, but I can imagine the throat going dry as soon as you click "confirm" and realise you've effectively given away n thousands of pounds and entrusting the seller to still provide the car (in this instance) once they've got the money.

Will have to check out the small print on electronic bank transfer from credit cards to current accounts - I'm pretty sure it's viewed as a cash advance and charged as such. Shame really - Scooter's motor is almost exactly what I was after.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.