The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Installing a log burner today

The Raven

I just need a nice big garden and drying log pile like you!! :D

Any idea of safety? Can you just leave it to die out overnight or is that a bit dodgy?

By all accounts, yes you can leave it in over night.

I have installed a Co2 and smoke sytems in the house just incase.

• 8 months later...
I like this and would have one for the outside but my only reservation is the walls above it and behind it will be black in a few months. Great for cost cutting though.

No blackness here mate over a years worth of use. The new style burners burn to hot to allow sooting. I only empty the ash tray once a week it burns it down to a fine powder

would like one of these for back living room and garage.i work in a printing/envelope making place and can get compressed center cores out of reels of paper.my sister has an open fire and was getting them for her.been told you have to have chimney swept a few times a year if you burning wood.

could you use it to heat hot water too.looks good too

Depends on the wood mate.

I cant see how it can soot up to bad these things make the wood glow white hot at times. Once its alight little or no smoke comes out the top.

Ive been reading about compressed horse poo being burnt as fuel. So i got some of the dry stuff off the muck heap last night and chucked it on. The result was awesome, it burnt like coal, let off no smell and chucked out a huge amount of heat.

I will buy a brick maker and try making some horse poo bricks and see what happens. If they work i have a never ending supply of fuel.

• 3 weeks later...

I was tempted by a log burner when you posted the pictures but I wasn't sure it would look right in my living room. I've just had another look at the website and seen this one so thanks for the inspiration :thumbs:

http://greymetal.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=198

If I get this it will be going into a chimney breast which has previously been an open fire, not sure how long ago though. Does anyone know if I would have to install a flue liner? I have smoke tested the chimney in the past and there was no evidence of leakage.

Laugh it up i burnt more of the poo yesterday.

Zero smell tons of heat = win

Oil compnay rang me yesterday to see why i have not ordered more oil this year. Savings thus far £300. It will take about 3 years to pay itself back at that rate. If heating oil remains 56p.

Russ sticking it to the man since feb 10

I was tempted by a log burner when you posted the pictures but I wasn't sure it would look right in my living room. I've just had another look at the website and seen this one so thanks for the inspiration :thumbs:

http://greymetal.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=198

If I get this it will be going into a chimney breast which has previously been an open fire, not sure how long ago though. Does anyone know if I would have to install a flue liner? I have smoke tested the chimney in the past and there was no evidence of leakage.

By rights i think you supposed to line it. However i have read that you dont have to. Like most things in life its better to spend the extra and do it right.

Did you get your install certified? Are building control needed? I have just spoken to a company and told them I was having one installed and he told me to make sure the installer was HETAS registered. On the plus side he said I should be fine without a liner but will need the flue tested.

My mate had one of these installed by a registered installer and had the liner put in, a year later he had some work done on the chimney and then realised that the original fitter had just put a couple of foot of liner in at the bottom and top to make it look like it had been done.

He got that taken out as he found out his chimney was sound enough without the liner anyway and he got a full refund off the original installer as he threatened to grass up his shoddy practice.

Some right cowboys out there !